Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Sunder - Map20 Appears, finally.

Solarn said:

Wow, some people are assholes. Doesn't surprise me about myk, but I thought Use3D would have been more reasonable.

For what it's worth, I've long since had a change of heart on the subject. :)

I'm doing a scoredoom run on this mapset now, with no-infighting mode off and without the add-on pack. So far, I'm at the very start of map04, having pretty much 100%-killed my way through the first three maps, and holy shit were you not kidding.

No infighting would've made the maps literally impossible (don't even get me started on hardcore mode), but at least the standard weapon alt-fire modes helped even the odds quite a bit.

Grain of Salt said:

You were a tester, so maybe you're remembering private messages instead of posts in this thread? It'd be great to have two more unique maps, certainly. How difficult is "insane"? Comparable to Pale Monument?

They were comparable to the old Pale Monument, from what I'd gathered. I never actually played them, but the first few testers did.

I'm up to map06 now, I pretty much skipped map05 via rocket-jumping, because seriously, fuck that switch puzzle thing.

So I've noticed okuplok was doing some shameless selfadvertising of his stuff here, so I've shamelessly decided to shamelessly steal the idea and shamelessly selfadvertise stuff.

map 1 in 4:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEWqi1qRSA

map 2 in 7:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tzRaZRym2s

map 3 in 13:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWwUVFrla1Q

map 5 in 15:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzfJfXMpLOE

map 7 in 19:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWOYJkzu_BU

map 10 in 39:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeSa69CpK4E

also map 4 at dsda

played / recorded / rendered / uploaded / shared / sponsored by me

@Grain of Salt - I take that revenant section, and raise you pretty much the entirety of map05. If I found a section worse than that rev area of map02, I haven't gotten that far yet. (Well... if you don't count map05, that is)

Solarn said:

Besides, who are these "people most of the time"? The only person so far who I've seen express this sentiment was YOU. Are you trying to use Fox News tactics on us?

To start of, Okuplok is a friend of mine. His demos are amazing and if I was to be suspect about him, I wouldn't call his evading skills as "amazing". What is different about him is that he beat amazingly difficult maps without barely getting hit at all like Speed Of Doom MAP20, which the only time he got hit the whole level was intentionally to do an AV-Jump.

Also, I'd love to see new maps on this amazing wad (as I voted on for the "most surprising WAD").

Well, actually I have once suspect about Okuplok90. I have talk with him before, I ask him weather he was telling the truth or not, he have tell we he really doens't cheat.

I trust him, at that time when he was being suspected, I think he was very dissappointing about it so he deleted his channel. And it's a truth that he was very good at doom, he can barely takes damage at both SOD map20 and 31, as well as 32.

To be honest, while I'm not THAT good at Doom, I definitely do soldier on through maps, no matter how hard they are. (with a few limits, of course, and if the switch hunt thing isn't too annoying.)

Anyways, I'm now at map07 on my sunder scoredoom run (which is a mostly for-fun run anyway), but man, the difficulty shot up like crazy! (I did beat map05 for real this time, though.)

This wad is very, very far from being even remotely close to be called a switch hunt. Switches are placed logically and you barely even notice the search time for them, especially when it takes 10X longer to dispose of the stuff those switches unleash. Btw, there are about 15 switches alltogether in map 5, that's some nasty switch hunt.

Grain of Salt said:

It's hard to tell exactly who was involved in testing this project in the old days, but it might be worth contacting gggmork. He's the only tester mentioned before you, but even given that I'm not sure he'd have played the version you want.

I think Jodwin and maybe someone else were also involved in early testing. But gggmork has definitely played those maps, I remember him talking about them.

While we're on the subject, I don't suppose you have the version of MAP02 that ends before the revenant swarm? I can't stand that section.

Nope, sorry, I don't have that one either.

j4rio said:

This wad is very, very far from being even remotely close to be called a switch hunt. Switches are placed logically and you barely even notice the search time for them, especially when it takes 10X longer to dispose of the stuff those switches unleash. Btw, there are about 15 switches alltogether in map 5, that's some nasty switch hunt.

In map 11 switches are hard to see.

Hmm, I don't recall getting stuck anywhere in map 11 due to missed switch, but I admit I almost always play with gamma level 4 in pr+.

gun_psycho said:

To be honest, while I'm not THAT good at Doom, I definitely do soldier on through maps, no matter how hard they are. (with a few limits, of course, and if the switch hunt thing isn't too annoying.)

Anyways, I'm now at map07 on my sunder scoredoom run (which is a mostly for-fun run anyway), but man, the difficulty shot up like crazy! (I did beat map05 for real this time, though.)

wait till you get to Map 9, its very hard by itself, but with the add-on pack and scoredoom, the phantom's noclip property makes it beyond frustrating. Its this map that finally made me remove noclip from the phantoms.

But yeah, Sunder is a great wad.

Gazebo, do you currently have plans for more maps already laid out, or are you planning to finish the current maps before starting a new one? Have you planned out any new levels significantly?

I love the atmosphere these maps have, very "oppressive".

Anybody knows what the music in Sunder is from? The Sunder text file says "Music copyright XYZ", which is strange considering Insane_Gazebo disregard for copyrights (not that it's bad).
What I found:
Title - I heard this on AV map22 afaik, but av.txt unhelpfully lists "other" as the source.
Level 01 - Sunder.txt: "Parallax Software". ??
Level 02 - from TNT, level 6.
Level 03 - from Requiem, level 8 (and 30). Requiem.txt is not clear about the author, though.
Level 04 - Sunder.txt: "3D Realms/Monolith Productions". ??
Level 05 - Sunder.txt: "Map11 of PL2". OK I'll believe this.
Level 06 - distorted E1M5 music.
Level 07 - E1M7 music.
Level 08 - AV level 20.
Level 09 - ??
Level 10 - ??
Level 11 - ??
Level 12 - Sunder.txt: "Parallax Software". ??
Level 13 - ??
Level 14 - Sunder.txt: "JImmy, perhaps? From Kyka's unreleased WAD." ??
Intermission - ??

Level 01 - Descent Map03 remix
Level 04 - Blood
Level 05 - Become the Hunted by James Paddock (Jimmy91 on these boards)
Level 09 - Hellcore 2.0 Map04, "original music by SlayeR" (from .txt)
Level 10 - Community Chest 3, "Bobby Prince (for 3D Realms Entertainment) modified by Use3d" (from .txt)
Level 11 - Metroid, SA-X first appearance
Level 12 - Descent again I guess?
Level 14 - Guardhouse by James Paddock

I could be wrong but I interpret "copyright XYZ" as "copyright whatever" or "copyright whoever made that stuff".

And just for random clarification, the Descent Level 3 tune used in MAP01 is the version from the Descent Demo, which is unique for not having percussion.

Grain of Salt said:

It's like you're trying to torture me.

To be honest, you're not missing out on much. They weren't very good maps I don't think.

Grain of Salt said:

I listed several of these (including some you're missing) on page 18.

With the new information, that gives us:

Title - Descent 2, "2_5"
MAP01 - Descent MAP03 Remix
MAP02 - TNT: Evilution MAP06 ("Agony Rhapsody")
MAP03 - Requiem MAP08
MAP04 - Blood E1M3 ("Double, Double, Toil and Trouble" by Guy Whitmore and Daniel Bernstein)
MAP05 - Plutonia 2 MAP11 ("Become the Hunted" by James Paddock)
MAP06 - DOOM E1M5 ("Suspense" by Bobby Prince) Remix
MAP07 - DOOM E1M7 ("Demons On The Prey" by Bobby Prince)
MAP08 - Alien Vendetta MAP20 (by Chris "Dashiva" Laverdure)
MAP09 - Hellcore 2 MAP04 (by SlayeR)
MAP10 - Duke Nukem 3D E1L5 ("Sneaky Snake" by Bobby Prince)
MAP11 - Metroid Fusion, "The SA-X Approaches" by Minako Hamano and Akira Fujiwara
MAP12 - Descent MAP13
MAP13 - "Blade Runner (End Titles)" by Vangelis.
MAP14 - "Guardhouse" by James Paddock

And that's all of them, except for the intermission theme.

Thanks for mentioning MAP09, Phml. Trying to find that one has been murder.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this. I did my best to track down who did what, but I was in a bit of a rush when I wrote the readme, and it really shows.

Xaser said:

And just for random clarification, the Descent Level 3 tune used in MAP01 is the version from the Descent Demo, which is unique for not having percussion.

That explains why I could have sworn it was from the original game, and was a bit baffled when I saw it listed as a 'remix' above.

Marcaek said:

Gazebo, do you currently have plans for more maps already laid out, or are you planning to finish the current maps before starting a new one? Have you planned out any new levels significantly?

I love the atmosphere these maps have, very "oppressive".

I have a number of maps 'planned' in my head. What I mean by that, is that I have a rough idea of the textures and architecture and size of the map in my head. I've also recently started over on the new map, so I should, I hope, have something to show soon. Funnily enough, I'm struggling to find a piece of music that fits what I have in my head, theme wise. (The music I used on Map03, is the closest I've got, but I'm not sure I want to re-use anything.)

I'm also planning on keeping track of my own map design process, making a tutorial of sorts. I figured some people might be interested in the way I map, as I'm always interested in the way other people map too.

Anyway, once I've done Map15, I can only promise rare updates at best. I won't have much time to map soon.

Also, that Chex Quest mod looks pretty awesome, TrueDude :)

I did some improvement in sprites drawing and now sunder.wad map10 is noticeable faster in software mode. 100 fps on start position at 640x480 instead of 82 in prboom-plus 2.5.1.1 (18 fps in zdoom)