Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Sunder - Map20 Appears, finally.

1 hour ago, Death Egg said:

Is it just me or is that a different palette? The blues seem less saturated.

Good eye! It's not just you. I tried for a long time to get blues working with the default palette and eventually gave up. Another mapper eventually came to my rescue and gave me the new palette you see. 

There isn't much I can say, except my mind is completely blown by these news. So, so glad to see this alive once more!

On 2/8/2019 at 4:39 AM, Insane_Gazebo said:

SunderMap15-1.png

Oh wow, that looks amazing. Glad to have you back, and glad that you haven't lost your touch.

Congratulations I_G on having (based on my limited research) now the most "liked" post on all of DW, since the feature was added a couple of years ago!

Spoiler

If I was going to lose that crown to anyone, I cannot think of anything better than a new Sunder screenshot. 

3 hours ago, Doom Marine said:

Untitled-1.png.4e0386ae4589f48106db21e85db69d2f.png

I just started playing Sunder yesterday, it was great! Your work inspired me as well!

I do hope we continue to inspire one another then :) 

... and then break the node builder. Again. And have people raise the line limits ... again. (I'm sure you've come close to hitting it like I have.) 

i would die a happy man if boom format line limits were raised (subtle hint to all you boom dev wizards!)

On 2/8/2019 at 10:16 PM, Insane_Gazebo said:

Wow, wasn't quite expecting this many replies! Thank you everyone for the replies. I certainly wasn't expecting to wake up to this many.

Well Sunder had a large impact on future mapping in Slaughter maps, so this has been very exciting news!

Quick question if you can. Is there a plan to make the maps co-op friendly? (e.g. teleporters outside of rooms that lock the player in so that other players can get in) I'm no slaughter expert, though I do really enjoy the genre, so I end up playing them with my brother most of the time, although we couldn't get far into this. I know it wasn't designed with co-op in mind, though it would open it up to more people playing it.

That raises a good point: I_G I strongly suggest you consider versioning sunder's filename from here on as the existing version is so widely proliferated that not doing so will cause problems with outdated versions. Scythe 2's final update caused some of this especially considering coop servers, as did Community Chest 4.

6 hours ago, Degree23 said:

Is there a plan to make the maps co-op friendly? (e.g. teleporters outside of rooms that lock the player in so that other players can get in) I'm no slaughter expert, though I do really enjoy the genre, so I end up playing them with my brother most of the time, although we couldn't get far into this. I know it wasn't designed with co-op in mind, though it would open it up to more people playing it.

^This. And also some difficuty implementation, even if its just providing more ammo, armor on easier skills while keeping enemies same.

This is absolutely one of my favorite wads of all time. Insanely difficult. I'm screen recording because otherwise no one will believe you've beaten it without cheats. I love the atmosphere and the music of these maps. The architecture is excellent too. There is just a special feeling with this wad. It has a soul to it

This is looking fancy. I bet by map 30 PrBoom+ will have twice the current limits.

Blank-Nut-Button.jpg

12 minutes ago, Insane_Gazebo said:

Also, here's another couple of shots from the new Map15 which is mostly finished...

Not gonna lie, I really, really like the combination of blue and orange textures all around the level. :thumbsup:

Those are some mighty tasty looking screenshots!  Good luck getting the map to work properly.  If you're hitting the linedef limit, that's what, 65,537 lines?  Wow!

9 hours ago, Insane_Gazebo said:

Also, a long time ago, around the time I stopped mapping, I had planned to make a step by step guide on how I approached mapping, with commentary and so on hopefully encouraging others to do the same. I never did finish the guide or the map, but I still had some of the screenshots. I wasn't sure where else to post them.

If you are still interested in showing others your approach to mapping (I for one would be fascinated to see how you approach things), have you ever considered streaming while you map?  You get to share your workflow process and get some progress done on your maps at the same time, and I know a fair few people would be fascinated to see how you go about building maps of Sunder's scale.  

Edited by Bauul

4 hours ago, Insane_Gazebo said:

To reply to both you and the person you quoted, I'll admit I don't currently have any major plans of doing either. It took a reasonable amount of work just to balance them as they are.

I wasn't even really talking about balancing as such, but only to put in simple things to allow progression even if people die. (e.g. teleporters to get into locked rooms if someone dies) Even that goes a long way.

So how will you go about releasing these maps, I_G? Everytime you finish one? Or after a couple of them?

I have a few questions about... several different things, really.

Are there any plans whatsoever to make the new map(s) more accessible by way of adding lower difficulty settings, or is UV as the intended experience the only difficulty that's going to be balanced for? I'm asking because in recent past there were several new people showing up who really enjoyed stuff like rush for example, which I perceive as "entry level slaughter" of sorts. Hence I was wondering if difficulty settings have been a consideration thus far.

Another question with regards to difficulty settings (regardless of whether or not you will invest time in those) would be how you'd go about implementing those skill levels. Basically what is it that you yourself are looking at when thinking to yourself how to make a fight that gave you too much trouble more managable for players of slightly (or even significantly) lower caliber?

20 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Things about difficulty.

I would like to know this as well.  I am currently stuck playing on ITYTD with powerful weapon mods like powergun.wad on any slaughter wad that is UV only.  I am bad at slaughter, lol.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I have a few questions about... several different things, really.

Are there any plans whatsoever to make the new map(s) more accessible by way of adding lower difficulty settings, or is UV as the intended experience the only difficulty that's going to be balanced for? I'm asking because in recent past there were several new people showing up who really enjoyed stuff like rush for example, which I perceive as "entry level slaughter" of sorts. Hence I was wondering if difficulty settings have been a consideration thus far.

I might confuse whoever said this (read: may or may not have been Gazebo and it might have been from a different topic that was not about Sunder), but I remember reading a comment saying that the new map(s?) will only be balanced for UV as "they are already difficult to balance the way they are". Someone else did show interest in balancing the new map(s?) for lower difficulty setting though, so they might be, but not by him.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:08 PM, Insane_Gazebo said:

To reply to both you and the person you quoted, I'll admit I don't currently have any major plans of doing either. It took a reasonable amount of work just to balance them as they are.

That said, I was talking to some other mappers and one of them did suggest he might be interested in re-balancing stuff in that regard for me (both for coop and difficulty levels), so something like that might work. 

For now I want to just focus on making new maps. 

1 minute ago, Kira said:

(the quote)

Thanks, guess I was right (for once. lol.)

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

So far so good, that still leaves me with the question how IG would be looking to implement difficulty settings, hypothetically, if he himself did that.

Hopefully not Shotgun Shells Everywhere - Part II :v .