Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

Sunder - Map20 Appears, finally.

Don't know if anyone agrees, but I think the final blue key fight in map18 could use some more rockets. I just got done playing it again and even with letting all the cybers out to infight, I had to plasma gun a giant horde of hell nobles and it took forever. More ammo for the rocket launcher could help. Maybe I just got unlucky and the cybers got stuck on infighting enemies, I don't know.

I subscribed to your youtube channel watching the beginning of the track is a good sucker with the gap, if you are ready with each track then with a brutal mod I will watch it too.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:42 AM, Arbys550 said:

Alright I gotta say something. Map16 needs more ammo. Seriously. I'm playing through it for like the 5th time today and I'm getting fed up with running out of ammo every single time. It doesn't matter what I do, how many strategies I try, I run out every time. I'm really sick of it and it pretty much ruins the entire map for me. This happens to me every playthrough. Am I the only one?

Edit: I mean the big fight in the building after you emerge from the main building. The one with a bunch of cacos and pain elementals.

You mean the one starting at 01:55:06 in your YT playthrough?

That probably is one of the worst fight you can get in this map. Personally, I left it at that as I was getting fed up with it.

I cannot say for sure that the issue comes with the lack of ammo, but I would say that hiding cell packs at the bottom of lava pits makes it difficult to come back at the surface as you will be surrounded by the floaters and lost souls quickly.

Cumulating with cramped space fighting and platforming makes it the map I like the least so far in Sunder.

17 hours ago, Arbys550 said:

Don't know if anyone agrees, but I think the final blue key fight in map18 could use some more rockets. I just got done playing it again and even with letting all the cybers out to infight, I had to plasma gun a giant horde of hell nobles and it took forever. More ammo for the rocket launcher could help. Maybe I just got unlucky and the cybers got stuck on infighting enemies, I don't know.

Never had any problems with ammo in that fight from what I remember, but infighting variance can be large.

Also saw your YT channel, I really dig the Sunder videos.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:07 AM, Doom fan said:

Can't there be a connection? to kill each other? From 16 when will the wad continue to level 32?

There is a connection already... MAP15 has a secret exit to MAP31 (only official secret in the entire wad so far), and MAP31 exits to MAP32.

EDIT: Ignore  this, I wasn't paying attention to when it was said

On 8/20/2020 at 3:00 PM, Archviler said:

Never had any problems with ammo in that fight from what I remember, but infighting variance can be large.

Also saw your YT channel, I really dig the Sunder videos.

i think the key is to pick up cells on lava pits first before all the area is full with monsters. Also could be a good strategy to rush to the cybie in the upper floor after you kill some flying monsters.  unfortunately didn't follow any of them on my first try and suffered a lot that encounter.

Found a bug in MAP08 that's been around since the very beginning. The following sector (unlike the three on the left, which are also linked together) doesn't have a tag and doesn't lower. This renders Tag 34 / Sector 738 teleport destination unworkable. I don't know how much harder (or easier?) the restored intended setup will make the final fight since it would mean half of the blocker Revs/HKs at the northern edge of the area will now teleport to southeastern edge instead. The closet will also be emptying faster since at the moment the monsters only have that first small wedge strip of area to move into.

su08.png

I went through MAP09 and found a bunch of linedefs at walkway edges that don't block monsters and can lead to failed max attempts - the ones at the intro teleporting monsters being the worst offenders.

But much more importantly, I found a huge skip that can potentially save a lot of time - it's possible to grab Blue Key through the grate on the opposite side if you get pushed into it hard enough. I found that this can be done when assisted by rocket from one of the two nearby Cyberdemons (obviously requires taking the nearby invulnerability). Perhaps it can also be done without help from those guys (boosting with your own rocket? or just sr50 at correct angle?), but I haven't bothered spending a lot of time looking for alternative ways.

I've managed to do a savescummed run through old Sunder MAP09 with this method, coupled with yolo rushing past almost every single fight to get the most out of relatively early BFG, and managed to save nearly 8 minutes compared to 32:56 UV-Max record by j4rio. Even more time could potentially be saved with a more optimal cleanup than what I did. Problem is, the odds of actually reaching BFG alive while running past everything seem ridiculously low, so the most aggressive form of this strategy would probably be TAS-only... unless someone has a crapton of free time on their hands.

Dunno if that skip is something I_G would want removed from final version or not. At least it will always be there in old Sunder for someone to eventually exploit.

It's absolutely amazing that for 11 straight up years you've been working on this, and each and every map has been hand-drawn in very intricate detail. Well done! I've been following this wad since the first edition (When only Map01 through Map10 existed) as a teenager! The new maps are beautiful, Map15 has become my new favorite.

11 hours ago, Doom fan said:

Level 20?

On 4/20/2009 at 10:27 AM, Insane_Gazebo said:

Map 20 - Jade Ossuary - Delayed until I get my Age of Hell map done. 

Oh I mean then the remaining 12 tracks are under development, the good news. After all, it takes quite a while to make so many opposing tracks.

You're working on the mapping equivalent of the great Odyssey. Thank you for Sunder, and for what it means to this community.

This is still going on? I always loved watching people play through these maps but didn't have much to play on this because they 1) take too long and 2) I'm prone to getting lost on some of the bigger levels.

Excellent job, Gazebo. I wish I had the patience to make giant, sprawling maps like these.

Where are the works now?

Armaetus:  Yes it is a long process if you want to do gigantic tracks you need to have patience. That's exactly what I like when it's not the end of 10 minutes.

I also really like to think he figured out his mind that could be solved and nicely created the first 19 tracks. You can create huge tracks in your editor. You just have to be smart not to clash.

I'm really glad that the 21st track was ready at the beginning of the year, congratulations will be a good little live on Saturday I can't wait.