Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

Getting into SP mapping - looking for some feedback

So primarily I make deathmatch maps. Most of you are probably aware of my involvement in 32in24. My skills in mapping are admittedly pretty low, but I like to think I make at least interesting playing DM maps. I have no real ability to detail, and everything I try to detail comes out horribly ugly. I can't match my clothes in reality unless I'm wearing a military uniform, so, go figure.

Anyways, with that backstory, I'm looking for some feedback on what's perhaps my fourth or fifth SP map ever. Right now the look is not important to me. Nor is the fact that I'm using Wolf resources; that will all change eventually. I'm only looking on feedback for how the map plays. I know it's all brown, seriously, it will change. I hope someone finds it fun, but if not, let me know which parts were lame, where I went right, and what I might do to improve. Thanks.

http://cb-sc.com/doomstuff/solo/cogs.wad

This is looking interesting... I was trying it and got smacked down trying to go down that final pit-like chamber.

It's promising because there's a nice use of layout and heights for functional or gameplay uses, and of simple traps, to make a good challenge. If you don't enjoy detail more, don't worry; just aim your WAD especially toward those who play for the challenge. This doesn't mean you maps will end up being ugly, just simple in some aspects (the more decorative aspects).

As a first step in aesthetic improvement, I'd think twice about using Wolf3D resources too freely. You might like the SS Nazi because he adds another type of enemy. In that case, you could replace the its graphics for those of a zombie-like opponent, like a recolored zombieman or something like that, perhaps based on one of Enjay's marine skins or another such WAD. That said, a Wolf3D section using its stuff, or even a funny theme in general, are not out of the question, but they need more direction than just some stuff that clashes with DOOM's regular stuff here and there.

Not bad. Detail does not make a map play well, so don't worry about your map being butt-ugly. But yeah, I liked it.

Pretty straight forward, I guess.
However, I normally wouldn't recommend combining the wolfenstein textures, with the doom ones. (They can clash in rather awful ways.)
That could just be me, though.

There were a few minor bugs, though -
Linedef 323 is missing a lower texture.
I think one of the Arachnotrons can't move where he's placed?

Other than that, I think everything worked okay.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I applied the fixes, a few little gameplay tweaks, some visual stuff, etc. The product is at the same URL.

http://cb-sc.com/doomstuff/solo/cogs.wad

This will probably end up in a small map pack I'm doing themed to the album the midi is from, The Power and the Glory by Gentle Giant. The song, Cogs in Cogs, inspired me to work with the height variances and overlaying corridors in the map.

One quick suggestion on your updated map - the switch that activates the lift to the red key. I would recess that into the wall, so it doesn't tile like it is currently. (There's two big switches on the wall, currently, so it looks a bit funny.)

I liked it, short and simple but challenging. Sneaky traps which aren't too unbalanced, clever use of running/straferunning, and resourceful use of the same area over and over with nice landmarks so you can make your way around easily.

Thank god those Revenants get stuck in the trench. Got owned by the time I was up to the pit, no ammo and only 7% health. A second more careful run with liteamps for the pit proved more successful.

Perhaps raise the wall around the teleporter so you can hide and the spiders come hunting for you, instead of just shooting at the wall because they can still see your head poking out? (that's how it works in GzDoom anyway, crouching makes them come looking) And you don't really have to kill that last Baron, though that may just be a roof height thing.

Switch textures are off and door textures are unpegged but I'm sure you know about all that stuff. Don't forget to remove the Doom Builder 3D View Point if you're aiming for vanilla compatibility.

Very enjoyable so far :)

Shaikoten said:

I know it's all brown, seriously,

DLing

I enjoyed it.
Nuff' Said.

But seriously I liked the strafe running parts as mentioned before, you don't see enough of that now-a-days.

Your one and only secret was Amazingly easy to find, and it helped a carpy player like me beat the map with a good amount of health. I also liked seeing barrels in the map, I enjoy splattering monsters with the environment. (hint hint)

The only bad things I found were that all the monsters were pretty much free roaming, not that that is bad... but it was easy to run away and have them come to you. This fact and the abundance in health and ammo makes it pretty easy. It was also very linear, this is both good and bad... (depends mostly on ones preference) do you want players to explore a bit and go off the beaten path? or do you want to guide them from one trap to the next?

Overall, Id say its nice for a first map in an episode. Sets the player up with all the goodies for later maps :P.