Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Insane_Gazebo

PRBoom - Hanging Corpse Issue?

In the screenshot linked below, the hanging corpse on the far right (the legs), blocks the player from getting up the stairs in PrBoom.

The issue doesn't exist in ZDoom, however - and I didn't notice it until gggmork brought it to my attention.

Now, what's got me baffled, is that the type of hanging leg I have chosen, according to Doom Builder anyway, is not the blocking sort.

Should I just change the corpse type, or is there some other work around here?

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/6298/sundercorpsething.jpg

Sounds like Doom's old "infinitely tall actors" in action. The corpse wouldn't block you in ZDoom because it instead takes the actors' heights into account. In vanilla (and PrBoom with compatibility options, I believe), the hanging corpse is treated as infinitely tall, blocking the player from passing even if he's low enough to pass.

WildWeasel said:

Sounds like Doom's old "infinitely tall actors" in action. The corpse wouldn't block you in ZDoom because it instead takes the actors' heights into account. In vanilla (and PrBoom with compatibility options, I believe), the hanging corpse is treated as infinitely tall, blocking the player from passing even if he's low enough to pass.

If that is the case though, what's the difference between the Hanging Leg, and the Hanging Leg (blocking), then? I would think they both shouldn't block...

Insane_Gazebo said:

If that is the case though, what's the difference between the Hanging Leg, and the Hanging Leg (blocking), then? I would think they both shouldn't block...

That sounds like an error in the Doom Builder configuration. If I remember right, there are some mistakes with the corpse types in there.

Well, I just checked both types in both ZDoom and PrBoom - they both appear to block the player in PrBoom, but in ZDoom, the player can pass underneath without any trouble.

I think you could be right regarding Doom Builder - It seems likely that they both block, or are perhaps, the same object?
Weird.

What version of Doom Builder is that?

Check the corresponding CFG file for the configuration type you are using. You can compare data for the things with the data in the plain source (doomsrc), DeHackEd and WhackEd2. For example, the solid hanging leg uses ID# or doomednum 53, while the hanging leg that does not block the player uses 62. In DeHackEd and WhackEd these things have the "obstacle" flag marked while in the source they have the MF_SOLID tag.

If Doom Builder is placing the same object, it is applying the same doomednum (or ID#) for both. In that case you need to give the one that is wrong the missing number. If it got them mixed up, the numbers are inverted, and you need to swap them. If you spot an error, go over all the corpses, as there may be more.

There are two types because in Doom things either block you at any height or don't block you at all. Thus one normally uses the nonblocking ones when they are placed on a higher ceiling above the player's path and the blocking ones when placed on a lower ceiling where the sprite is clearly in the player's path.

If the configs are wrong, can't somebody fix them and then upload the fixes so that we don't continue to get this question every few months or weeks? :P

I just tested all this out by making a test map with all the hanging sprites. I used the very latest prboom+ and all was fine.

With the "walk under solid hanging bodies set to Yes I could walk under the solid ones, provided there was more than 52 map units clearance. DB configs are correct as well.

Are you using an older version of prboom ? Are your blocking and unblocking sprites too close together ?

hawkwind said:
I just tested all this out by making a test map with all the hanging sprites.

Yeah, in the version I have, with CFGs dated 6/6/6 (nice date :p), the corpses are fine, but I'm pretty sure some other version had them wrong, possibly inverted.

It happened in a prboom plus demo I made in complevel 9 (I think only certain hanging things blocked me, not all of them). But given that I'm a retard, its probably just something wrong on my end like usual.
Actually same problem for me on 'chunk 2' of deus vult (the hanging things on the long windy red or whatever stairs).

entryway said:

db always had

Huh ? I cannot speak for DoomBuilder versions prior to 167, but both 167 and 168 the configs are indeed correct - at least for boom.cfg and doom2.cfg - just now tested.