Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

I need a debate topic

I have a Debate class and we are going to get started on research for a new debate, but I don't have a topic. This is the last debate we are doing for the year and my teacher told us to pick something we feel passionate about. I don't really feel passionate toward anything because I have differing republican and democratic views.

Our Debate topic resolutions have to "<blank topic> is beneficial." such as "The Legalization of Marijuana is beneficial" or "Affirmative Action is beneficial".

I'm considering picking something extremely controversial, like retarded controversial, like if I won the debate people would hate me. I was thinking something like "Genocide is beneficial" or "Jihad is beneficial." I just think it would be pretty hilarious to troll my entire classroom in this debate, especially since I'm somewhat pretty good at it.

A major part of the debate though is finding evidence to reinforce what I have to say, and the evidence has to be from a recent and ultimately credible source. As you probably have guessed, it's pretty near impossible to find a source that says that eradicating a specific religion, or country's population is beneficial, or that the globalization and expansion of Islamic territory is beneficial. Can anyone think of any good troll topics for me to debate against someone in my class?

JohnnyRancid said:

As you probably have guessed, it's pretty near impossible to find a source that says that eradicating a specific religion

Adolf Hitler?

Doom. Doom 3 if the people aren't acquainted. Try to keep boring or lagging topics from arising.

JohnnyRancid said:

I don't really feel passionate toward anything because I have differing republican and democratic views.

Debate the utility and effectiveness of the two party political system.

As a serious reply, don't do one on the legality of marijuana. Because your teacher has almost certainly already heard it from ___ other students who thought they were being clever or edgy.

The reasons and causes for the loss of passions regarding various current topics by youngsters, and whether they are justified in trolling teachers, parents or other elders due to the situation they find themselves in. Whether this trolling is in itself a just cause, a genuine cry for help or a malicious cancer that will lead society into a moral quagmire.

TheeXile said:

Debate about the merits of troll debating.

Meta-debating ftw!

myk said:

The reasons and causes for the loss of passions regarding various current topics by youngsters, and whether they are justified in trolling teachers, parents or other elders due to the situation they find themselves in. Whether this trolling is in itself a just cause, a genuine cry for help or a malicious cancer that will lead society into a moral quagmire.

Same thing, more verbose. :/

Satanism.

Talk about the philosophical side of Satanism, its misrepresented symbology and origins and the unfair practice of associating it with devil worship and violent delinquent behavior. Don't forget a list of prominent figures in society and politics who embrace the sensibilities of Satanism without even knowing it. George W. Bush, for example, would make a terrific Satanist.

TheeXile said:
Same thing, more verbose. :/

I saw you post; I almost quoted it. Same concept, better execution, if you ask me.

Marijuana. Should it be legalized? That's always a fun one.

myk said:

I saw you post; I almost quoted it. Same concept, better execution, if you ask me.

Better is subjective. I think fewer words to the same effect are more practical for making a point. 'debate' already implies everything you just said, for instance.

TheeXile said:
Better is subjective.

Not shit, especially followed by "if you ask me" :p

I'd say more about why I beefed it up, but I think it says more without an explanation.

Craigs said:
Marijuana. Should it be legalized? That's always a fun one.

The esselfortium of the class will make fun of him if he proposes that one.

myk said:

No shit, especially followed by "if you ask me" :p

I'd say more about why I beefed it up, but I think it says more without an explanation.

Well that's fine. Most people will be more impressed that way. That's not the goal of simplicity.

I try not to have to appease idiots nowadays, if I can avoid it. They're usually the kind of people you can't really hold a reasonable debate with, anyway.

Population Control is beneficial.

We surely can't sustain ourselves at 6.5 billion, let alone 80 billion if you were to (unrealistically) extrapolate our growth a few years down the line. Add the fact that it's usually the poorer classes those with the higher birth rates and children per family unit, so it's a very Godwin-prone topic.

TheeXile said:
Well that's fine. Most people will be more impressed that way. That's not the goal of simplicity.

Cool, that's my opinion on adding features to DOOM :p

Zaldron said:

We surely can't sustain ourselves at 6.5 billion, let alone 80 billion if you were to (unrealistically) extrapolate our growth a few years down the line. Add the fact that it's usually the poorer classes those with the higher birth rates and children per family unit, so it's a very Godwin-prone topic.

I remember reading about some loopy scientist who suggested sending helicopters over the Earth seeding humanity with Ebola. If you debate this position and want to troll at the same time I'd cite this guy as a genius.

myk said:

Cool, that's my opinion on adding features to DOOM :p

My topic title never said 'add'. ;)

Zaldron said:

I'd go with this. I really can't imagine a better moral shit-storm waiting to happen, really. Especially since we could very well see said shit-storm actually manifest into a real one within our lifespan, feasibly.

Here's a list of random topic ideas I came up with:

"Masturbation is beneficial"
"Online dating sites are beneficial and work out well"
"Craniosacral therapy works and is beneficial"
"Social networking is beneficial"

Try starting silly (see idea one) and see where it takes you.

Whoah. Wasn't this helled for a while? (Just my impression. Must be late).

Oh well, on topic:

since there is the "X is beneficial" clause, I'd say your easiest choice is debating that videogames are beneficial. Just mention the positive aspects (sensory coordination, fun, adventure, discovery) and avoid cliches like Columbine-style shooting and Hikikomori, and dismiss pathological gamers as people who wouldn't have any continence or sense of measure even in other areas, so at least video games are the lesser evil in their case.

9/11 was an inside job. Use myspace.com/WTC_7 to get you started.

or....

Debate what a fair sentence for the following crime would be:

A high-speed crash on a major highway left one driver dead last month. Police say that 45-year old Andrew Fairbanks was speeding home on his way back from work when he was distracted by a billboard and could not break in time at the nearby red light. The driver slammed into the car ahead of him, killing the other driver instantly. The victim, 18-year-old Shane McKenzie died due to extensive trauma caused by the assident. Officials say that the circumstances of McKenzie's death were due to the negligence on the part of the other driver (Fairbanks).
Andrew Fairbanks was found guilty of negligent vehicular homicide. This crime is punishable by imprisonment up to 30years in the state of Massachusetts.

Debate what a fair sentence would be: In all likelihood the guy is ravaged with guilt and will have to carry that with him for the rest of his life. So on one hand, you could say the guilt he has to live with is punishment enough. On the other hand, the 18 year old's parents are gonna want some justice for their son. So they may demand that the offender serve jail time, perhaps even the maximum of 30 years. So do you sentence the guy to "give" the parents at least something back for what he did? How can you know if the guy genuinenly feels guilt? Is his level of guilt a fair barometer for how much jail time he should do? It's a tough call.

Communism in the 20th Century was beneficial. You could probably make the point that the Soviet support of insurgencies in European colonial holdings brought about an end to imperialism. It sure would make a controversial topic.

You could debate that McCarthyism was beneficial, too, but be ready to catch a lot of flak for that one (as well as creating a hard core of fans ready to die for you).

Kids have already debated the legalization of marijuana in previous debates in my class. Needless to say they lost everytime because they always picked evidence sources that were really biased.

I guess arguing negatively against "Legalization of Gay Marriages is beneficial" might stir up some shit. I'll think about it.

I've actually already considered Satanism and Communism as possible topics to debate. I think specifically the clause "is beneficial" is intended to mean "is beneficial for the United States", So ordinarily I would lose do to the first amendment of the constitution stating freedom of religion. Communism might be a good debate besides all the courses of history where it failed just about every single time.

Population control kinda coincides with Genocide, which could help in finding more resources. This could be pretty good. I'll consider it.

I don't wanna debate that video games are beneficial. I doubt anyone really disagrees and I'll make myself look like a total nerd.

I like DJ_Haruko's first two topics, I'm not really sure what the next two are, I'll have to research that first.

In a debate a while ago, we were researching alternatives to the prison system, and somehow came across an article explaining the use of "Chemical Castration" to prevent prisoner on prisoner love. As scary as it sounds, it's really just a pill that lowers testosterone levels so that guys can't get hard-ons even if they try. Chemical Castration is beneficial.

DuckReconMajor said:

Global warming is beneficial.

90 degrees forecasted on Sunday in Massachusetts.

"Islam and violence."

"Benefits of war."

"Judaism and the media."

"Social Networking on Craigslist."

"Masturbation doesn't make user go blind."

"It's a proven statistic that 9 out of 10 people enjoy gang rape."

"The gender of the Post-Hell girl."

"This assignment is beneficial"... "NOT!"

-or-

"Receiving oral copulation is beneficial"
"Doing psychedelics (are) beneficial"
"Fucking my teachers wife is beneficial"