Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Super Jamie

Dead Simple

When I had my first run through Doom 2, back in 95, one of my most hated levels was MAP07, Dead Simple.

I'm sure you all remember the one, the Mancubi on 4 platforms, who then give way to an outer corridor full of Arachnotrons. And you have to kill all enemies before you can exit.

And I despised it because it was so damn hard. These days, everyone's alot better at playing Doom, and this is now one of my favorite original maps. It's challenging, simple, has lots of good equipment, is able to be done from a pistol start, and most of all, it's quick. I love a short but intense round of Doom during a break at work.

Can anyone else think of maps like Dead Simple, that have these qualities? Even ideas for similar maps would be appreciated, and maybe I could try make a good version myself.

Super Jamie said:

Can anyone else think of maps like Dead Simple, that have these qualities? Even ideas for similar maps would be appreciated, and maybe I could try make a good version myself.

Most megawads, excluding Final Doom, follow MAP07's pattern, because it's hardcoded. Also try Hell Revealed 2 map "Siege II" (forgot its number).

Maybe there are also E4M8 maps that use the same type of fight, but with Spiderdemons instead of Mancubi. Haven't found any yet, not that they're many.

Oh hells yeah. A hardcore player could probably beat the whole of Scythe in a few hours. All 30 maps (except the last couple) are short, challenging, and absolutely replayable.