Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomFilm

Making cut scenes in doom?

Hi all, I've always been wondering. How do you make cut scenes in doom wads? I would like to know so I could put some in my doom wads.

Zdoom had an ACS function to play cutscenes but unfountnatly, it was depracated and won't work for later versions and I'm not sure if any other source port can play movies (I haven't edited for other source port, only ZDoom).

Depends what you call "cutscene". The intermission texts are cutscenes in a way, as are the Phobos, Deimos and Hell "overland maps". What Mickey refers to was a feature to play movies (as in, .avi or such files). It worked only on Windows, was never tested, and was never used, so it has been removed. You can make cutscenes with animated textures if you want instead.

On a port like ZDoom, you'll probably prefer to make scripted cutscenes with ACS.

DoomFilm said:

Hi all, I've always been wondering. How do you make cut scenes in doom wads? I would like to know so I could put some in my doom wads.

It is possible via the use of ACS (ZDoom and GzDoom only), but you need to use interpolation points if you're going to make the cameras move etc. It'd be something like this:

Script 1 OPEN
{
setplayerproperty(1, 0, prop_totallyfrozen);
ChangeCamera (1, 0, 0);
Delay(40);
ChangeCamera (2, 0, 0);
}

The first tag here "ChangeCamera (1, 0, 0);" represents the TID, meaning which camera will it change to next. I'm not too sure what the rest do, but to make them move around (like in circles etc) you need to assign interpolation points, along with the camera being a "MovingCamera" (type 9072). Give the camera a ThingTag, then enter the "effects tab" (right click the thing just in case I sound confusing). Then you'll see something called "point". Give that point the same tag as an interpolation point (you MUST give the interpolation point a ThingTag or else it will not work).

Hope this helps :)

in that same context, how do you edit the "intermission" scenes? Is there a way to enter your own text and background images?

The text can be modified with DeHacEd or (for advanced ports) the appropriate MAPINFO (ZDoom and compatible)/EMAPINFO (Eternity) lump. The graphic can be changed in the same ways.