Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

So you think you're fast?

God damn you, Comcast. Look at my earlier test results the previous page and you'll see why I'm pissed. They put an artificial bottleneck on my speed after like 4 days of heavy downloads. Hasn't gone up yet and it probably never will. The worst part is that they're untouchable. I can't complain, and they won't give a shit if I do.

I had hoped to be on optical fibre by now, but once again NBN Co are unable to stick to their roll-out timetable. Maybe in March/April.

Earlier my internet was so slow that I couldn't actually load the website. I'd guess, using Windows Task Manager, that 0.4mbps was the speed.

It's improved for now

Using my ZTE blade as a WiFi access spot after my neighbor figured out that he should secure his...

EDGE 2.5G connection, biatches. Better than nothing, I guess, and with some management, 5 Eur/GB is not all that bad (can add more as I go, and take advantage of special offers when applicable). I surf freely among normal sites, don't fear download of a few tenths MBs, and can even watch the occarional youtube video (though I prefer caching them on-disk and avoiding needless reloads).

A traffic metering app like NetMeter is a must in these cases. Good thing I have my job for the really heavy downloads...

In theory I could get better speeds if I had a 3G-enabled SIM....but now I'm limited by EDGE/GPRS speeds.

EDGE can carry a bandwidth up to 236 kbit/s (with end-to-end latency of less than 150 ms) for 4 timeslots (theoretical maximum is 473.6 kbit/s for 8 timeslots) in packet mode.

So that means I'm quite close to the theoretical maximum achievable with EDGE. Assuming one gets 4 timeslots, it's quite OK and definitively superior to play GPRS or even land-based dial-up.

So you think you're fast?

hahaha

Download speed: 0.65mbps
Upload speed: 0.32mbps

This is a good night for me, it's usually half that.

Maes said:

Using my ZTE blade as a WiFi access spot after my neighbor figured out that he should secure his...

Stop beating my record Maes!

There, back to the 80's. Now stay away! >:(

DoomUK said:

GG, TalkTalk.

It's actually my neighbour's internet because our own one spends most of its time on 0. Ah this place sucks :P

I used a server in Papua New Guinea. :)

I tried Mauritius (further away) and Zimbabwe, but they were faster.

Eris Falling said:

Stop beating my record Maes!

There, back to the 80's. Now stay away! >:(

Actually, you have way too good ping to be truly 80s. Hmm...0.04 Mb/sec = 40 kbits/sec, which would be OK for any dial-up, and not really reachable till the mid-to-late 90s, at least (v90 and v92 protocols didn't exist back then). The puzzling thing is the 80 kbits upload O_o WTF did you do to skew performance this way?

I retook the test, and results seem to be pretty stable. Don't force me to use GSM speed ;-)

This isn't too ideal for streaming, but it's actually the best internet deal we've had so far, overall.