Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Timidity no longer working

For SDL-based ports, Timidity will no longer work with them for some odd reason. I haven't done anything to Timidity to cause this, and it used to work before, but now it just doesn't.

The soundfont I use is eawpats, and they work correctly with the Timidity player, but not in any port that utilizes Timidity.

Any ideas on why?

Bashe said:

For SDL-based ports, Timidity will no longer work with them for some odd reason. I haven't done anything to Timidity to cause this, and it used to work before, but now it just doesn't.

The soundfont I use is eawpats, and they work correctly with the Timidity player, but not in any port that utilizes Timidity.

Any ideas on why?

SDL doesn't actually use the external timidity to play midis; it has a very old version built-in, and just reads timidity.cfg. This means that soundfonts in the .sf2 format won't work with SDL even though they are supported in timidity, so you have to use patch sets. As for your particular problem, I'm not sure what the cause could be. I used to use eawpats, and it worked fine because it's a patch set. Try linking /etc/timidity.cfg to /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg and making sure everything is correct in the file.

Yeah, it's unclear whether TiMidity support has stopped working suddenly without you changing anything or after you reinstalled your SDL-based source ports or something like that. If the former, some file may have been moved or some bug is causing an issue. If the latter, maybe you haven't set things up properly this time.

What OS are you using?

What's with the trend that states everyone in a smart community uses a UNIX-based OS?

there is no correlation.

bashe: back up your stuff and do a system restore to teh day before you had problems. that might help.

Things to check:

• Check that timidity.cfg is in each source port's folder
  • Make sure that CFG links* to the folder containing the patches
  • Make sure PrBoom's "music card" CFG setting is set to -1
* For example:
##############################################################################
# If you have the GUS General MIDI patch set, uncomment the following lines 
# and edit the "dir" statement to point to your GUS patch directory. 
#
dir d:\doom\8\midi\patches
source gravis.cfg
source gsdrums.cfg
source gssfx.cfg
#source xgmap2.cfg
#source proteus2.cfg
#source mt-32.cfg
#source sndfont.cfg
#####