Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrick

Guitar Queer-o

All jokes aside, I found myself playing Guitar Hero for the first time with some buddies and really enjoyed it. I ended up investing $10 into getting an xbox 360 guitar controller and getting Frets on Fire for my Linux box. Anyone else play this game? Any thoughts?

It was an okay game to play but not anything all that great in my opinion. It seems like a relatively simple franchise to create compared to other games that can squeeze out some easy cash (and a lot of it). If you played one of the guitar hero games you have pretty much played them all.

I used to be really good but I got sidetracked by Heroin Hero.

I've found these games to be incredibly fun and addicting since the first Guitar Hero. In fact, I find them so fun that I've five starred every song in Guitar Hero 1, 2, Rock's the 80's, 3, and Rock Band 1 & 2 on expert (yes, even songs like Jordan and Through the Fire and Flames), yet I still play the living crap out of them. These days I prefer Rock Band over the Guitar Hero series, though, and find myself playing the drums much more than guitar.

Guess I should also mention that I play real guitar as well, just as a precaution towards any "play a real instrument" statements.

If you have a good graphics card (at least an 8800gt or better) then I would recommend GH3(or the Aerosmith) for PC. There's no official DLC but the online play still functions, and if you know how, customs are easier to import than to a console (I've made a few customs myself, check the sig link). I couldn't stand the way Frets on Fire plays but it's cool if you don't have any GH games.

My favorite games would be GH2, GH3, RB, RB2, and although I thought it would suck the Metallica one is actually pretty awesome.

Had both versions of 2 (PS2 and 360) and beat them both on expert. Got 3 and eventually World Tour but haven't even bothered to really play them yet. It's been so long I can barely play on Hard now.

On a side note, anyone tried making music with World Tour? I never got around to trying it.

JohnnyRancid said:

I used to be really good but I got sidetracked by Heroin Hero.

I never could catch that dragon...

Bucket said:

I never could catch that dragon...

May I suggest Rehab Hero in that case?

Edit: Heh.

Guitar Hero is the perfect game when I want to both listen to good music and test my dexterity at the same time. It's given me hundreds of hours of entertainment. I've five-starred all but one song on Expert GH3 and got 100% on about 13 songs.

I used to be addicted to Guitar Hero for quite a while a couple years back, and then I really got into the fake plastic drums when Rock Band came out. Haven't really gone back since.

Yeah, I never liked Guitar Hero because it vaguely feels like playing a guitar but is nothing at all like actually playing one. Furthermore, I got my ass kicked on songs that I can play pretty well on my real guitar. Rock Band, on the other hand has vocals. Then I can display my real talent. :D

Seriously though, if you really want to play a guitar, just buy a cheap one for the same cost as the game. You'll also get a smug feeling of accomplishment to go with it when you get good enough at it. :P

Bashe said:

I prefer Guitar Praise

SOLID CHRISTIAN ROCK !!

Wow, what? That video really uses the phrase "rock legends" loosely. And I like how it explains the game like it's some novel concept that no one's ever heard about and not a direct rip-off of Guitar Hero. Though I don't remember the part about screwing over the other guy in Guitar Hero is that some Christian thing?

It's good for drunken houseparties and such, but I think it would get boring pretty quickly playing it by myself. I haven't got the patience to master songs.

It's okay. It sure attracts the non-gamer retard college set. I was at Best Buy just this week and saw 4 douchebags carrying around a wireless plastic guitar. At least this keeps them away from legitimate music/games. Really just an overblown Simon.

I like playing it, especially with friends, but I find it really hard to get decent at most songs.

While we're all here, I gotta ask: Is Hyper Fret a cheat or not? I think it is. When I was trying to beat GH2 on Expert I kept losing halfway through Hangar 18 but I could easily beat it with hyper fret on. Apparently it's a major topic of debate in the Guitar Hero community.

Danarchy said:

Seriously though, if you really want to play a guitar, just buy a cheap one for the same cost as the game. You'll also get a smug feeling of accomplishment to go with it when you get good enough at it. :P

I have no desire whatsoever to do this. The main reason is probably that a video game gives discrete, measurable scores that make it easy to judge your skill. Guitar skills are completely subjective. Also, you're implying that a gamer doesn't get a smug feeling of accomplishment for bitchslapping a video game which is false.

Also, I think that some people hold the attitude that playing a real guitar is somehow "better than" playing a video game, or that a video game is a waste of time and playing an instrument is worthwhile. I believe that both are for personal enjoyment and are unproductive. They should be judged by pretty much the same standards.

DuckReconMajor said:

While we're all here, I gotta ask: Is Hyper Fret a cheat or not? I think it is. When I was trying to beat GH2 on Expert I kept losing halfway through Hangar 18 but I could easily beat it with hyper fret on. Apparently it's a major topic of debate in the Guitar Hero community.

Are you talking about hyperspeed, where the notes scroll faster? Anyone who thinks of it as cheating is an idiot. It requires better reflexes and is essentially reducing the amount of information the player has to work with.

It's basically like saying "Is it cheating playing an FPS where the player takes 2x damage?" or "Is it cheating playing Doom with fast monsters?" The answer should be obvious to anyone who thinks about it.

AndrewB said:

I have no desire whatsoever to do this. The main reason is probably that a video game gives discrete, measurable scores that make it easy to judge your skill. Guitar skills are completely subjective.

Also, I think that some people hold the attitude that playing a real guitar is somehow "better than" playing a video game, or that a video game is a waste of time and playing an instrument is worthwhile. I believe that both are for personal enjoyment and are unproductive. They should be judged by pretty much the same standards.

I agree 100%. I didn't play Guitar Hero because "I wanna be a rock starr!!!1". I played because it looked like a fun game and had good songs on it. I've fiddled with a guitar, too. After messing with it for an hour and not getting it to make a single sound you want it to make, it tends to get a bit discouraging.

AndrewB said:

Are you talking about hyperspeed, where the notes scroll faster? Anyone who thinks of it as cheating is an idiot. It requires better reflexes and is essentially reducing the amount of information the player has to work with.

It's basically like saying "Is it cheating playing an FPS where the player takes 2x damage?" or "Is it cheating playing Doom with fast monsters?" The answer should be obvious to anyone who thinks about it.

However, I do not agree with this. It's more like being in a building in an FPS and being asked "would you like three guys to run in here and have to kill all three almost instantaneously or would you like them to run in faster, but at larger intervals?" I'd rather be able to deal with them all separately.

Learning to play an instrument is unproductive? The process of learning to make music teaches much more than how to play some notes. It is the diligent process of mastery over time that separates the playing of an instrument from a simulation game where the learning curve is about the size of an ant hill.

TheCupboard said:

Learning to play an instrument is unproductive? The process of learning to make music teaches much more than how to play some notes. It is the diligent process of mastery over time that separates the playing of an instrument from a simulation game where the learning curve is about the size of an ant hill.

You best mean one of those ant hills in Texas that are a foot and a half tall. Unless of course, you're telling me you picked up the game and got 100% on Expert on every song on the first try.

How is a video game not a "diligent process of mastery over time"? No matter how easy a game is, you can still try to get better at it, like seeing how fast you can beat it, beating it without dying, etc.

I think if you really thought about it, you'd see that making/listening to music is a lot more like playing/making/modding video games than you think.

The process of learning an instrument is ultimately more beneficial to a person than 100% Expert on Guitar Hero or speed runs of Quake. Video games are constantly rewarding your brain with blood, gore, flashing lights, music, whatever. It's easy and fun to do, sure. And you can spend a lot of time trying to do your best performance. However, the process of learning an instrument really helps teach a person to be more patient, focused, and willing to accept delayed gratification. Guitar Hero rewards players constantly, teaching them nothing but to tap the buttons faster/more accurately.

AndrewB said:
Also, I think that some people hold the attitude that playing a real guitar is somehow "better than" playing a video game, or that a video game is a waste of time and playing an instrument is worthwhile.

These people should stop playing Doom, grab a shotgun and shoot some real demons. The rest of us will continue to have fun playing our video games...

TheCupboard said:

The process of learning an instrument is ultimately more beneficial to a person than 100% Expert on Guitar Hero or speed runs of Quake.

The process of learning handwriting or calligraphy is ultimately more beneficial to a person than 100 WPM on a keyboard. This statement is equally logical and truthful as your statement. I'll let you decide how much.

Video games are constantly rewarding your brain with blood, gore, flashing lights, music, whatever. It's easy and fun to do, sure. And you can spend a lot of time trying to do your best performance. However, the process of learning an instrument really helps teach a person to be more patient, focused, and willing to accept delayed gratification.

Sexual intercourse is constantly rewarding your brain with velvety sensations, anticipation, crashing orgasms, whatever. It's easy and fun to do, sure. And you can spend a lot of time trying to do your best performance. However, the act of chastity really helps a teach a person to be more patient, focused, and willing to accept delayed gratification. Same as above.

Guitar Hero rewards players constantly, teaching them nothing but to tap the buttons faster/more accurately.

Sexual intercourse rewards people constantly, teaching them nothing but to tap orifices faster/more accurately.

AndrewB said:

I believe that both are for personal enjoyment and are unproductive.

Wow it's like you're not even trying any more.

TheCupboard said:

The process of learning an instrument is ultimately more beneficial to a person than 100% Expert on Guitar Hero or speed runs of Quake. Video games are constantly rewarding your brain with blood, gore, flashing lights, music, whatever. It's easy and fun to do, sure. And you can spend a lot of time trying to do your best performance. However, the process of learning an instrument really helps teach a person to be more patient, focused, and willing to accept delayed gratification. Guitar Hero rewards players constantly, teaching them nothing but to tap the buttons faster/more accurately.

So every minute of every hour I spent in Practice mode playing the same solo again and again just to barely make it past that part in the game was filled with fun and gratification? Wow, I wasn't aware.

Look, it seems like you have this image in your head of some 13 year old clacking away at the strum bar, jumping around in circles, and doing the fist pump and yelling "YESSSS" whenever he beats a song. Well if I looked at your hobby and all I saw was a bunch of 16 year olds wearing all black with spiked hair splaying random notes everywhere on his guitar and yelling at his parents just to be "nonconformist" I could say a lot of the same things back to you.

Both music and video games take work and dedication, and both have their benefits. Yes, music helps people be patient and focus, but studies have shown that many surgeons who play video games are more coordinated and make fewer errors in their work. Video games take a lot of focus as well, and quite a bit of patience in some of those trickier parts.

Okay, so video games aren't going to end world hunger anytime soon, but I don't think strumming your guitar sitting in your rooms is going to cure AIDS, either. We can go on and on about what's important and what's not, but no one will get anywhere and we'll end up arguing about stuff like the purpose of life and why anything we ever do is important.

Use3D said:

Wow it's like you're not even trying any more.

What kind of stupid comment is this? Contribute or shut up.

I can't Guitar Hero. I have been playing guitar for 13 years and every time I try to I end up trying to play it like a real guitar. My friends that also play guitar do the same thing. Its fun to watch drunken idiots play the game though.