Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

Quake 4 - Fun!!

I really enjoyed Quake 4.

I was wondering if it´s possible to make tool assisted demos for it? Or if there is a non-TAS demo scene for it?

What about Doom 3? I don´t think a TAS demo would be fun for this game but demo recording would. Did any of my fellow Doom gods record any demos for Doom 3???

And what does the S in TAS stand for?

swantz said:

I haven't beat it yet but the part that kinda gets me are the torso power producing things. Just looks ****ed up.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the extremely violent theme. Raven held nothing back and they fully earned that 18+ only rating.

Skeletor said:

Why does Quake 4 look better than Doom 3? Is it a style decision or is the art done better or has the code been changed?

A better question is why it runs so terribly slow compared to Doom 3. Doom had so much more detail but at the same time the level design was a lot more professional and optimized.

gemini09 said:

I really enjoyed Quake 4.

I was wondering if it´s possible to make tool assisted demos for it? Or if there is a non-TAS demo scene for it?

What about Doom 3? I don´t think a TAS demo would be fun for this game but demo recording would. Did any of my fellow Doom gods record any demos for Doom 3???

And what does the S in TAS stand for?

TAS stands for tool-assisted speedruns: http://www.doomworld.com/tas/

i can't answer the rest of your questions, but iirc doom TAS demos became possible after id released the game's source code, so this might be necessary for doom3/quake4 too in order to make TAS demos work.

speedruns... well, there are these videos:

quake4

doom3

doom3:roe

as well as various stuff on youtube. haven't found anything resembling /idgames, DSDA, compet-n or DANG though, or talk of doomers doing speedruns for modern games... perhaps it has to do with the slow pace and the scripted sequences that make much less interesting for this purpose than doom's primal gameplay. see the replay value thread.

A better question is why it runs so terribly slow compared to Doom 3. Doom had so much more detail but at the same time the level design was a lot more professional and optimized.

optimized maps run faster, that's the very reason. quake4 contains more open spaces, requiring more computing power.

Yeah, I've actually seen a few of those Youtube videos :-)

You're right, there isn't much of a demo scene for newer FPS games. I wouldn't be surprised if Doom 2 was the most popular game for demos...

Doom 3 didn't have many long cut scenes. But I was thinking Quake 4 would be a cool multiplayer game and cool to record demos with, especially TAS because I often found myself reloading several times just to perfect a kill, and it would be really awesome to have all of that in one long continuous action sequence.

Torr Samaho said:

optimized maps run faster, that's the very reason. quake4 contains more open spaces, requiring more computing power.

Actually I think it might be because the textures are of higher resolution, though I haven't taken notice while playing. But somebody mentioned that in this thread...

Can't vBulletin automatically lock threads after a certain period of inactivity? I've seen that on other forums.

david_a said:
Can't vBulletin automatically lock threads after a certain period of inactivity? I've seen that on other forums.

on occasion, an old thread can be bumped with worthwhile content.

Looks like it got a seperate thread :P

gemini09 said:

Actually I think it might be because the textures are of higher resolution, though I haven't taken notice while playing. But somebody mentioned that in this thread...

I doubt that's the reason. I'm not sure, but I don't believe that Quake 4 had higher-res textures, let alone that it would be the cause of such a slow-down.