Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

DOOM III and Night Vision

I was thinking about it today, and there is no night vision goggles in Doom III is there? There was in the first two! Night Vision could have been a lot freakier seeing everything in green with glowing green eyes. Am I the only person that thinks this? It would only be temporary of course :-)

Oh well. Maybe Doom 4

Wrong forum, however since you mentioned it, there's no invisibility, invincibility, automap, ammo backpack, or megasphere/soulsphere either. Not even armor/health bonuses (if you exclude armor shards, which however are not demonic/extraplanar in nature). Also, the berserk pack only makes one appearance throughout Doom 3 and RoE.

Maes said:

soulsphere

It's in multiplayer though.

berserk pack only makes one appearance throughout Doom 3 and RoE.

There's two in standard Doom 3 iirc, one mid/early on, and another in hell.

Maes said:

ammo backpack

Yes there are. Lots.

Too bad there's no automap; since this is the successor of Doom 1 and 2, it's expected to have one. They implemented a Tab PDA, so it was very normal to include an automap in the PDA. I'm not gonna give suggestions on how to do it unless I'm into modding myself, though. It would have been identical to the original, what with switching-views-without-pausing and navigating.

Fairly sure that Doom 3 has invulnerability and megaspheres in deathmatch. You could place these items in a single player map too I suppose; id chose not to make these a factor in the single player game balance.

I don't know about invisibility, but isn't that one of the effects you get from the Artifact in RoE?

Quasar said:

Fairly sure that Doom 3 has invulnerability and megaspheres in deathmatch. You could place these items in a single player map too I suppose; id chose not to make these a factor in the single player game balance.

I don't know about invisibility, but isn't that one of the effects you get from the Artifact in RoE?

Perhaps they got scrapped due to the arcade factor they add. The berserk still has a fitting aaaaargh with it so it was let in. Odd that it looked mundane in Doom 1 but it got shifted to the "artifacts" group in Doom 3. Perhaps they still wanted to keep something as that type, and the adrenaline rush was already there to play the role of 'mundane powerup'.

The artifact adds superspeed, berserk and invulnerability. It's really a combination of what Berserk does for single- and multiplayer (whether it adds invulnerability-I haven't verified). I'm glad the Doom 3 RoE boss was a challenge, not a one-hit tech obstacle with simplistic attacks like the Cyberdemon.

I'd map/mod for Doom 3 (no matter what, it's still Doom and has true-3d) but I need to know where to start learning how to.

printz said:

Too bad there's no automap; since this is the successor of Doom 1 and 2, it's expected to have one.

How exactly would that have worked with the 3d architecture?

Were there even any automaps in Doom 2? I can't remember any.

Ghastly_dragon said:

How exactly would that have worked with the 3d architecture?

Dunno, perhaps through some preprogramming or whatever. Indiana Jones Infernal Machine had an automap and was 3d.

Also, I know who you are, so what's your view with your second argument?

That second comment I made was referring to te automap powerup, not the map in general.

Ghastly_dragon said:

Yes, there's eight, although the power-up and the feature aren't the same thing.