Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IRod54

Does anyone on this forum have a twitter page?

Recommended Posts

Apparently because blogging wasn't spastic enough people had to find a way to send IM's to no one.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, I have pages for both Twitter and Identi.ca (the preferred one). partition36 and djharuko, respectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Lizardcommando said:

What's the whole point of this Twitter thing anyways?

To jump into the Internet bandwagon with everyone else and pretend to be a cool kid, I'd guess.

Oh well, one good thing about Twitter is that it'll eventually fade away. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Jodwin said:

To jump into the Internet bandwagon with everyone else and pretend to be a cool kid, I'd guess.


Whoah...you mean it's NOT enough to write in 1337sp34k, post links to RUP and inserting random internet memes everywhere like B1FF? Damn, I must reorganize!

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Whoah...you mean it's NOT enough to write in 1337sp34k, post links to RUP and inserting random internet memes everywhere like B1FF? Damn, I must reorganize!

Yeah dawg, recognize dat dis be da new age yo. Peeps like Stephen Colbert be on Twitter yo. Dey all updatin' and shit, lettin da people know what dey is doin', and yall need to do da same shiet, ya feel?

Share this post


Link to post

Nope. When I feel the need to share a piece of useless information with EVERYONE - I hijack a mailserver. :P

Share this post


Link to post

I thought it's used to exchange information with a huge group... when it's needed. No I don't have an account; I don't think anyone I know has such.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't even have a myspace account anymore. I'm an old-school internet advocate.

Share this post


Link to post

I found it useful for presenting news updates and put it on my new Doom Builder site (doombuilder.com on the right). People can stay up-to-date by choosing to "follow" this channel. Twitter also provides an RSS feed for the gurus that want instant notification of any updates.

Share this post


Link to post
CodeImp said:

I found it useful for presenting news updates and put it on my new Doom Builder site (doombuilder.com on the right). People can stay up-to-date by choosing to "follow" this channel. Twitter also provides an RSS feed for the gurus that want instant notification of any updates.

Which can't be done with a blog?

I'm really at a loss as to what makes a 140 character limit appealing. Is it to appease the tl;dr people or something?


I can understand the value of concise communication, but I don't see why people need a superfluous physical length constraint to attain it.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a twitter account. I like to stalk artists and writers and reading the pages they link to.

TheeXile said:

I can understand the value of concise communication, but I don't see why people need a superfluous physical length constraint to attain it.

This sentence is amazing. Could perhaps have benefited from a superfluous physical length constraint to make it a more concise communication.

Share this post


Link to post

No.
Can I create a twitter blog with such an anwser?

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm. Maybe it's popular for the same reason Doom mapping remains popular nowadays: The constraints give motivation to be more expressive. Or something to that effect.

Kinda an insult to my intelligence, though. But I guess I'm still here making maps myself, so...

Share this post


Link to post

No, and for good reason. I don't want "important messages" from friends saying that they're going to a fridge to make a sandwich. Even the name sounds like a fad.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm surprised they didn't name it Twitr and place a nice big "BETA" sign on it for the entire duration of the site's life to run the Web 2.0 train right off the cliff, because otherwise it fits the bill perfectly!

Share this post


Link to post

I never understood the use of Twitter nor will I ever use it. Email, IRC and IMs are good enough to keep in contact with one's friends.

Share this post


Link to post
TheeXile said:

Hmm. Maybe it's popular for the same reason Doom mapping remains popular nowadays: The constraints give motivation to be more expressive. Or something to that effect.

No. It's popular because it's a fad. Your comparison could hold ground if Twitter will still be popular in 15 years from now, but I guess it'll be mostly gone in two, three years max.

Share this post


Link to post

Bah. This is just another of those "mashups" of existing technologies in order to produce something "new". In this case, SMS + blogs = twitter.

In turn, blog = a personal page written in HTML.

Or podcast = a link to an HTTP or FTP file download.

None of them sounds so fancy now, eh?

The only positive thing I can attribute it, is that it works with what today is the most minimal form of electronic text messaging, the humble SMS. Not indifferent, since not everybody has a WAP or email capable cell phone. Then again it's not much different than the many SMS-to-email services provided by telcos for years, just easier to use, perhaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Jodwin said:

No. It's popular because it's a fad. Your comparison could hold ground if Twitter will still be popular in 15 years from now, but I guess it'll be mostly gone in two, three years max.

Unfair given the rules of technology, are you still using 28k modems? 1 meg mail accounts? .plan files?

And no, Doom mapping is not popular these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Jodwin said:

No. It's popular because it's a fad. Your comparison could hold ground if Twitter will still be popular in 15 years from now, but I guess it'll be mostly gone in two, three years max.


Contrary to what Zaldron said, Doom and Doom mapping still have an active user niche and will, by all current indications, have one for the years to come. That's because it's entirely user-driven.

Twitter on the other hand, is a private venture, and it's quite unlikely that it will be in-place exactly as it is now for 15 years, or even for 5 years. Similar services may appear, but twitter itself may shut down, be sold or namamed/merged. The same holds for facebook, myspace, youtube and whathaveyou. If it proves profitable, it may stick for long enough but it's not directly comparable to a user-driven game, not by a long shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Zaldron said:

And no, Doom mapping is not popular these days.

And mapping for games where you need years 3D modeling experience and months of free time to waste to produce anything reasonable is popular? Comparing "mappers / all players"-ratio between games, I'd say Doom mapping is extremely popular. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Maes said:

Contrary to what Zaldron said, Doom and Doom mapping still have an active user niche and will, by all current indications, have one for the years to come. That's because it's entirely user-driven.

Twitter on the other hand, is a private venture, and it's quite unlikely that it will be in-place exactly as it is now for 15 years, or even for 5 years. Similar services may appear, but twitter itself may shut down, be sold or namamed/merged. The same holds for facebook, myspace, youtube and whathaveyou. If it proves profitable, it may stick for long enough but it's not directly comparable to a user-driven game, not by a long shot.

Something is not popular if it's done at most by 200 out of 6 billion people. Twitter, on the other hand, has somewhere between 4 and 5 million people. My comment was merely a note regarding what constitutes realistic spans of time in the evershifting IT industry.

And mapping for games where you need years 3D modeling experience and months of free time to waste to produce anything reasonable is popular? Comparing "mappers / all players"-ratio between games, I'd say Doom mapping is extremely popular. :P

Could be, but it all pales in comparison to Starcraft/Warcraft 3 mapping or similar non-FPS games. (There is however, a large amount of professional mappers that work in 3D).

Contrary to popular belief, a thing doesn't need to last centuries. Twitter will change and adapt to consumer demand, or die trying. OpenGL room-over-room scripting Doom of today is an indication of how this is even necessary for the most zealous of fans.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×