Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheeXile

Akinator, the Web Genius

http://en.akinator.com/

Old as the hills, but it never fails to impress me. Try thinking of any character, and chances are, if you answer the questions honestly, it will figure it out.

It's actually a bit scary, even though really it's just basic AI.

JohnnyRancid said:

It's Flynn Taggart Dumbass!

Fail.

I tried a bunch of real and fictive characters, some quite obscure and the two it didn't get were an Australian webcomic author and the Icon of Sin. lulz

Seems to just be an update of the old 20 Questions web page, except that one could do any object or animal or whatever.

Danarchy said:

Seems to just be an update of the old 20 Questions web page, except that one could do any object or animal or whatever.

I think this one uses a better AI or data collection system, though. The answers are right on the money way more often.

I went through a bunch of random questions and ended up at "Bigfoot", but one question I definitely answered "Yes" to was "Does your character wear a watch?"

Lüt said:

I went through a bunch of random questions and ended up at "Bigfoot", but one question I definitely answered "Yes" to was "Does your character wear a watch?"

Hold on Bob we can see your watch!

'aw dammit.'

JohnnyRancid said:
I win.

We all lose, given the size of that BMP.

Use3D said:

Hold on Bob we can see your watch!

'aw dammit.'

'Hey what's that?'
*buuurp*

I'd never seen this before, so I tried it out. It correctly guessed Samus, Drizzt Do'Urden, Konata, Nights, Nihilanth, and (not surprisingly) the cyberdemon. I was determined to stump this thing, so I threw the more obscure Doomgape out, and it was still damn close, guessing some kind of elemental creature.

It also guessed Snoopy when I was thinking of the Energizer Bunny. Heh.

The ones It didn't guess right were BJ Blascowicz (not the first time, it did after more questions though), Heretic Guy, Axel from Twisted Metal 2, and Chris Colohan, Lead vocalist from Cursed. It guessed every single cartoon character I came up with though.

I think Akinator uses your age as a factor of what it guesses. Like it probably wouldn't think of a character from a TV show that aired in the 1960's if your only 18 years old, unless of course it's still on the air.

EDIT: I must also add that Akinator doesn't know Lance Bean, the guy in my avatar.

I am impressed, it found some slightly less than obscure Polish people and only had one mistake (an actress) but she was on his second guesses list.

Edit: Taking the fictional path, he's got Polish literature well covered too.

Edit2: Games are more fun, especially with hard to describe characters. Answers for the hacker from System Shock for example gave me Conrad from Flashback. A lot of it depends on how soon a good question pops up, at one time it guessed Pyro (TF) instead of the Silencer from Crusader after twenty questions, when I did it again it guessed correctly after 16 questions, only because the 'Does he wear a red uniform?' question came a lot sooner.

Edit3: For a final update, he knows his anime and stuff like Transformers, Swat Kats etc., but he had no idea about any of the characters from Centurions.

Is your character a woman ? No
Is your character real? Yes
Is your character a star? No
Does your character personally know you? No
Is your character still alive? Yes
Is your character a citizen of a country of the American continent? Yes
Is your character a citizen of the United-States? Yes
Does your character have a great artistic skill? No
Is your character a politician? Yes
Is your character black? No
Was your character's father famous? Yes
Is your character internationally famous? Yes
Is your character pretty terrible at what he does? Yes

I think of: George W. Bush

This thing is pretty clever, even guessed Baraka from Mortal Kombat, heh.

Iron Man took it two attempts though, it guessed Batman after 17 questions and then Iron Man after 19.

JohnnyRancid said:

I think Akinator uses your age as a factor of what it guesses.

Nope, I just mashed the keyboard and ended up putting something like 423 for age.

It guessed Titus Pullo after some really, really vague questions.. Amazed me when it guessed right!

I was rather surprised when it guessed Shub-Niggurath right, even presented me with the illustration most commonly associated to it. Nyarlatothep wasn't as easy, but it showed up in the second guesses list. It's always rather surprising but when you look at its innards, the decision tree mechanism it uses allows for far more characters than those needed. The rest of the problem basically consists in refining through users' input.

edit: most surprising of all is how the Most Information Gained branches do not necessarily start with obvious things like 'Is your character real?', sometimes it asks (apparently) specific stuff.

It guessed God right when I answered "No" to him being real. Take that Christianity!

Well I'll be damned, it correctly guessed Alma (F.E.A.R.)

AND Xaero......

But I managed to throw it off when I thought of Jubilee and it guessed Rogue

And I won completely by thinking of Mia Wasikowska and it thought I was thinking of a lesbian :P

I've been finding that it is relatively easy to stump with Tiamat from D&D, mainly because for whatever reason it thinks Tiamat is not a female.

brinks said:

It guessed God right when I answered "No" to him being real. Take that Christianity!

Oh boy.

Guessed Right:
Ed Wood
The Dude (from Big Lebowski)
Crono (from Chrono Trigger)
Rick Deckard
Elwood Blues
Frank Zappa (was surprised it got that in like 12 guesses)
Gary Gygax
Brian Cohen (Life of Brian)
Augustus Caesar

Didn't Guess:
Raistlin Majere
Rik Mayall (didn't even have that as a choice at the end)
Jareth, the Goblin King
Den (Heavy Metal - didn't even have the character on file)

Heh, this is pretty fun, actually.

EDIT: Heh, I looked at the recent games list, and saw it had guessed Otacon when the person was thinking of Alex Jacobson from Deus Ex. Very similar characters.

it got to "Is your character from Final Fantasy" by question 11, gj

DooMAD said:

This thing is pretty clever, even guessed Baraka from Mortal Kombat, heh.

It picked Morrigan when I was thinking of Sheeva. Guessed Shang Tsung and Sonya though.

It constantly surprised me with its answers. Seems a little buggy though, either I get "I'm lost" after one or two questions or I get integer errors.

I think it somehow takes character popularity into account, it's never picked Naomi Armitage even though all the answers were green, always went for Motoko Kusanagi.