Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

[Demonic Uprising] Screenshot Mayhem (p.3) - Join Now!

Progress report
Hello ZDoom fellows and followers. Some of you reading this now might be already part of HPack, most of you are not I guess. First of all before doing another kind of ad-spam towards the activity of the project, it's about time to give you a small inside-view of the project's status. We have already a huge amount of things finished, mostly resources, basics, general rules in terms of layout, gameplay and mapping but what we still need the most are people to help us with the missing maps. A detailed list can be found here.

• 13 maps are finished
  • 17 maps are in progress
  • 4 unfinished maps are free for volunteers
  • 4 mapslots are claimed
Beyond these dates, there are still numerous slots left open which desperately need someone who fills them up
  • 4 slots in Episode 3 ("Into the Furnace", burning/fiery hell style)
  • 5 slots in Episode 4 ("Hell's Wake", ruined cities, hell/urban mixed)
  • 7 slots in Episode 5 ("The Astral Plane", void style, crazy/magical/unreal)
We do not actually have to fill up each episode with 9 (or more) maps, but especially the remaining episodes would really be cool if they'd had more action, because they are very different from the standard Heretic layout and texturing, that we already know. To get a small idea, simply check the "WIP" screenshots in the "Demonic Uprising" map development forum.

If you do not have any ideas or if you need inspiration, feel free to sign up, get access to the SVN repository and download the latest version with all the maps and resources that are already done. That will definitely help, promised, especially because so many resources are already finished.
  • Countless new enemies, some of them not even on the Realm667 Beastiary
  • Countless decorations
  • Countless new items and powerups
  • Fully GZDoom/ZDoom compatible content (even GLDEFed stuff for nifty dynamic lighting)
  • Over 1000 new textures to choose from
  • ZDoom/GZDoom as base engine - nothing is impossible
So if you do not want it to die, abandon or even released as unfinished product, join us now and let us finish "Demonic Uprising" (also known as HPack), it really deserves a great end because Heretic is just amazing! More information can be found at the official development forums. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Best Wishes,
Tormentor667 and the Demonic Uprising Team

PS: As a little bonus, some screenshots from Gez' "The Void Temple" as an appetizer and mapping motivator (wip btw)

Tormentor667 said:

Some of you might ask now: "Hey, don't we already have the Heretic Treasure Chest?" That's actually true, but for me it was kinda disappointing but that's only a personal preference I guess. Yes, it does have several cool maps that are worth being played but in my eyes

I don't understand what you mean there... the Heretic treasure chest megawad is still being worked on here and hasn't gone through all of those final detail updates and other tweaks, not even all the levels are done, *still working on mine*. I'm pretty sure its not ready for a final judgment... unless you're talking about another wad just like it, which I doubt.

you do this against the Heretic community chest while
Stronghold
The Shores of Zdoom
KDIZD 1.2

and countless other projects stagnate. what the heck man? :(

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but let's finish the other stuff first.

Yeah maybe judging the HTC wasn't wise here.
And it's not because the HTC doesn't come with new monsters and OMG-slopes/3DFloors that it won't be interesting.

Back in time, wads like Memento Mori, Scythe, Requiem and Alien Vendetta only came with new textures ( in terms of extra new content I mean - of course there were new maps ), so they only used stock monsters and weapons. As of today they are still recognized as legendary wads.

----------------------------------------

That being said, about the new content, I've had a quick browse in your forums and saw that people were already talking about replacing weapons they didn't like ( the Firemace ) or artifacts "useless" for them ( like the Time Bomb of the Ancients ).
With those incredible features ZDoom and GZDoom come along with, such as the possibility to add things without removing old ones, I hope original Heretic content won't disappear...

New content is welcomed for sure, the Bestiary contains many good Heretic-ish monsters and maybe weapons, and your texture set is incredible, I hope your team will make good use of them !

Anyway it's good to see this project being started :)
There aren't many quality projects made for Heretic.
Good luck on this, Torm & team !

This reminds me to dig up my zheretic solo map and polish it for release.. And release my other heretic map (that is about 1/4 the size of deus vult, but actually fun)

Graf Zahl said:

That project does not exist.

Says you.

Graf Zahl said:

That project does not exist.

Well sure, not as long as projects like this keep springing up...:D

:P

Do we really need yet another KDiZD release? It's done and I'd really prefer to see something new rather than revisiting a map set I already played several times.

Graf Zahl said:

I'd really prefer to see something new rather than revisiting a map set I already played several times.

I said the same thing when KDiZD was first announced.

If it had just been a rehash it would have been pointless. But the end result doesn't have much to do with the original maps anymore, don't you think?

I agree with Graf Zahl, and it's not like people can't handle multiple projects.

1 project isn't enough :P To explain things: Each of these projects - HPack, TSoZD, Stronghold and TCotD3 (*g*) - follow a different style. It's easy for me to swap between projects if I encounter a mapping block with one of them so I wouldn't say that one of them keeps me from mapping for another one ;)

Concerning the HTC, sure it isn't finished but I guess what's done so far is about 80% of the final product. And as I said, it's a personal taste. Others might be overwhelmed by the community chest but for me it just wasn't enough.

Graf Zahl said:

If it had just been a rehash it would have been pointless. But the end result doesn't have much to do with the original maps anymore, don't you think?

True, but I just couldn't resist making a joke about your previous statement. :P

The more, the better!
Just to make sure nobody forgets about this project, we are still working on HPack together, improving and adding new resources and working on our maps. Though, the more the better, as the headline states, and so we are still looking for talented mappers but also for all other kind of contributions for this great and promising project dedicated to Heretic. So, if you are interested, please visit the development forum at http://www.hpack.tk (or http://hpackdev.phpbb8.de) and sign up today, fill up the few missing map slots and help us finishing this beast.

A taste of things to come
Yeah, we already have something to show up, go and get your cookies from some of the maps already finished or still in development...

http://hpackdev.phpbb8.de/download/file.php?id=25

...so, get your ass up and join the HPack dev team, it's far from being finished so no need to even hurry ;)

Cheers,
the HPack Team and Tormentor667

I wish you guys luck on this project, but I'll stick to the Heretic Community Chest for now. The freedom provided through zDoom modifications is great and I look forward to some of the scripting you guys manage to pull off, but I fear the maps in this project are going to be a bit too inconsistent.

I know the slogan is "Random Maps for Heretic", but many of the levels seem to drift quite a way from the authentic Heretic feel. Maybe that's the intention to some extent. But it's quite odd.

The fourth screenshot does show some promise, because I love teh mazes, moreso in Heretic where we've got more tactical solutions than in Doom to deal with baddies.

I also hope it doesn't turn into a special effect shitfest, with linear monsters-appear gameplay. The original levels are very powerful, so the stake is high. If one creates even a "The Cathedral" clone, he or she should be congratulated...

Heh, let me start commenting the screenshots here:
- the first one shows lots of monsters. Rods or powered Maces would find good use there
- the second one is VERY reminescent of Hexen maps, both from the stormy sky and windowed buildings
- the third one has some E1M6/E5M4 vibe in it. I hope it has similar gameplay and layout, not HALLWAY layout.
- I hope the fourth one is a maze with trapdoors, not a linear hallway... There is a certain Heretic level that has a sandstone maze of lifts, with lots of fire gargoyles being released to smack you down.
- the fifth -- the linked one -- looks interesting, but still resembles a series of hallways
- the sixth is outright cool (or hot...) It's so much like the awesome hell from Diablo 2!
- the seventh one looks like the eighth one: foggy walkways over chasms or other deaths, with different weather effects
- the last two ones are too damn flat :(

StoneFrog said:

[..]but I fear the maps in this project are going to be a bit too inconsistent.

I know the slogan is "Random Maps for Heretic", but many of the levels seem to drift quite a way from the authentic Heretic feel. Maybe that's the intention to some extent. But it's quite odd.

Well, I learned a lot from leading the ZPack so I already have some plans to make sure that HPack isn't that inconsistent in terms of effects, scripts and overall look. As of now, I have a good feeling as things are turning out. Next to that, I plan - as soon as all maps are done - another editing phase where maps get detailed and more consistent considering where they are placed in one of the 5 episodes. :) That might solve some problems we had with ZPack

printz said:

- the last two ones are too damn flat :(

Penultimate one is from an area that doesn't exist anymore anyway. It was far too cramped and the map is redesigned entirely.

Tormentor667 said:

The fact that this is for GZDoom doesn't stop you from contributing a compatible ZDoom map ;)

Sure, but saying GZDoom/ZDoom implies that it's for ZDoom only. If you let people know it's for GZDoom people will know they can put in GZDoom specific features. :)

I always believe that the ZPack was way underrated in the first place.

moar heretic stuff is good i guess

As the guy who originally started HTC up, I'm happy to see new heretic projects popping up. I do like some of those screenshots, my favorite is the orange one which basicly look like one map I started up for HTC, but I didn't come far with. (except of course the zdoom features :P)

It is okay if you don't like the HTC project, everybody has his/her taste.

I will just wish good luck, keep it going. :)