Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkdave1985

Need Help for my weird problems!!!!

I need big help. this whole thing named doom, getting more and more mysterious for me. i have a lot of problems. here are 4 of them and i need help for all of them.

ALL PROBLEMS ARE JUST PERTAIN MY OWN LEVELS!!!

1) i lose health in sectors with damage in some levels, even when i have taken an radiation suit. another guy, said that this can maybe a engine error! is that possible or can it be another reason? this happens just sometimes, not always, but i hate it. i lose health in damage sectors, while wearing an radiation suit. and when this happens, i lose health isolating and not throughout, in that damage sectors. what can i do here?

2) i spoke about this problem earlier. in some sectors, in some levels, the monsters waggle when they shoot, and so they shoot by me. even when they stand in front me. and this always becomes more and more. first it was just in one level, in some specific sectors, now it´s in another level too. and in that level, it was just in some sectors, now this problem appears always in more and more sectors. what´s the reason for that shit? this other guy, told me, that the sectors are maybe to small for the monsters, but this is not the reason. these ones are always big sectors, with enough room for the monsters. but this problem is just in some specific sectors, not in the whole level. anyone must help me, here too.

3) in one level i have made, the weapons don´t hit the monsters, in some sectors. but this is just in some specific sectors, and not in the whole level. at first it was just in one or two sectors, now it´s in much more. since two or three days, this problem appears also in some other specific sectors. but some days ago, it was not yet in that sectors. every fucking day, there comes a new sector with that problem. what can i do here? is it maybe an engine error or something?

4) so, and now to the biggest and worst problem of all. it pertains the same level, like for problem number 3. i mean, i´m to 99% sure, that the whole data file (also the wad.file) itself, is damaged or something like that. cause in this level, things going on, which are unbelievable. this level is for tnt episode, when everyone wants to know it. some months ago, i have made a big sector in that level. but this room was yet a long distance away, from that red lines, which mark the outlines, over which you don´t should draw over. and back then, everything became crazy at a specific point (or specific line in that sector. a cyberdemon, walked always away from me and turned around, as i started the level. then he walked further in that sector, and then he dissappeared at some point. so, i have made back then, this sector much smaller. after this, this problem was solved. i mean, but this was also a insolence. i was so far away from that fucking red lines, and everything was crazy back then. and now i have a new big problem in that sector. in that sector, also the weapons don´t hit most of the times and also in the sectors, which are connected to this one. even when i stand in front of the monsters. so, i have made this sector, smaller again 2 days ago, because i thought, that the problem can be solved with that. but just a bigger problem was appeared. as i played the map after this change, for the first time, i wondered not bad. the whole sector was damaged. everyhting looked right, optically, but the monsters couldn´t see me anymore, and I couldn´t hit the monsters anymore with my weapons. i always shoot through them. and i was also not able to take a swith anymore and the whole monsters in that sector and the sectors around, couldn´t see my anymore and so on and so on. everything was fucked up from that point on. that´s unbelievable. i worked for months on that damn level and now this. i tried some techniques to solve this problem, but i was not able to do it. so i have copied an older backup from that level (from another pc) to my pc, and then i had, recreated all things to that old version, which i have made meanwhile in the latest version. the old version is one week older than the new one, where everything is damaged. so, i had recreated all sectors, lines, things and changes into that old backup. that everything is up to date. and now? the same fucking problems, appeared in that backup too. but i have not done something wrong. i mean, i know how to create and rebuild everything in doom. i´m mapping since a year meanwhile and i know how to work right. what´s the reason, for all that fucking problems. this whole thing is so weird. everyday appears a new mysterious thing. either doombuilder is damaged or the zdoom exe or the node builder exe. oh, and the node builder exe, showed me sometimes an error message today, as i tried to solve that problem with that sector. so, there must be something wrong, really bad at all in that map. however. please, all pro mappers and doom experts should help me. these are all weird problems, for no clear reason. it´s not my fault at all. these are all things, which i can not change as a mapper, because i think, that the problems going much deeper, than building something false. oh, and one last thing. to the "weapons don´t hit" problem once again. the really weird thing about that problem is, that this just pertains, weapon 3 and 4. also the shotguns and the chaingun. all other weapons are hitting the monsters in these sectors, where these 2 don´t hit. weird not? and i also can not shoot an swith (with can be activated by an gunshot), in that sectors, where the weapons don´t hit. but only just again not, with weapons 3 and 4. unbelievable not? i really hate this whole thing here meanwhile. always the same shit, whatever i do. i´m cursed or something like that. please anyone must help me with this things, really good or i quit with mapping. I can't go on any longer. really.
everyone who wants my levels, to look for the problems, should tell it me.

but just people should answer here, which are really able to help with these damn weird things here.

thanks for helping

djd

Well judging from all the problems, I'd have to say your internal map lumps are getting seriously fucked up. You say that the level otherwise appears normal, except things walk through walls or aren't affected by being shot, et cetera... so that's the most likely cause.

It's probably best just to upload the wad so we can take a look at it. The problem could probably be diagnosed in a few minutes if we had access to the wad.

1) If you're using 20% damaging sectors, there are two types. One just does ~20% damage, one does ~20% damage and can "leak" through a radiation suit based on a random chance. This was intended as realistic behaviour for for lava, or more hellish floors, which a plain old nukage suit wouldn't really protect fully against.

Super Jamie said:

1) If you're using 20% damaging sectors, there are two types. One just does ~20% damage, one does ~20% damage and can "leak" through a radiation suit based on a random chance. This was intended as realistic behaviour for for lava, or more hellish floors, which a plain old nukage suit wouldn't really protect fully against.

I'm curious as to where you got that from (regarding Id's intentions). I'm pretty sure it was just a bug or oversight, but it would be interesting to know if this "bug" indeed was intentional.

And by the way, both of the 20% damaging sector types have a small 6 out of 256 chance (if I recall correctly) of the damage getting through. I think this was because the the sector damage function draws numbers from the RNG table and checks to see if they're greater than 5 (with only 6 numbers in the table being lesser than 5 or equal to, hence the 6/256 chance to damage the player). Might check the Doom Wiki... I think that's where I read that.

EarthQuake said:

I'm curious as to where you got that from (regarding Id's intentions). I'm pretty sure it was just a bug or oversight, but it would be interesting to know if this "bug" indeed was intentional.

Just my imagination making fictional scenario more plausible :) Though I do believe it was intentional, otherwise wouldn't all the damaging sectors make their pseudorandom calls?

And you're right, both 20% floors have random damage chance, my mistake.

so, here is the link for the level, which contains the most problems. i have 6 levels meanwhile, but the other 5 ones, contain just few minor problems. this ones, we try to solve later. but now, we must take a look at my last and 6th map, which you can get here.

http://rapidshare.de/files/47007779/BUGS.zip.html

this zip file, contains the "wad.file" itself, and also a word document, where i´m showing some of the biggest problems with screenshots and so on.

please, please, please.

all guys, who are really good in doom mapping, all pro mappers, every expert and everyone who can help me, should take a look at this whole thing here. for everyone. take you so much time you need, look very closely and do your really, really best. when anyone has answers for me, to solve this problems, should answer, here to this message. thank you really much and do your best.

djd

Well, you just have a fucking big level, and it's too much for the original doom engine to handle. Specifically, you have an intercept-overflow, also known as "all-ghosts" bug. You can read more about it at http://games.moria.org.uk/doom/research/ghosts . Basically, because of huge amount of stuff a bullet-fire line could be hitting, the engine messes up its own internal data structures and is unable to do any more bullet tracing. You need to either make *much* smaller areas, or play this wad in a limit-removing engine, like prboom.

As for the nukage issue: it's an intentional part of the game. Sorry, there's no way they could have accidentally added the special case for random leakage into the source:

1037       case 16:
1038         // SUPER HELLSLIME DAMAGE
1039       case 4:
1040         // STROBE HURT
1041         if (!player->powers[pw_ironfeet]
1042             || (P_Random()<5) )
1043         {
1044             if (!(leveltime&0x1f))
1045                 P_DamageMobj (player->mo, NULL, NULL, 20);
1046         }

i thought that the level is maybe too big, by myself. but, then please tell me, for what this fucking damn red outlines are? i mean, they are showing the outlines, over which you don´t should build over or not? for what this fucking lines are then, when they not for this? i´m so far away from this ones, on all 4 sides. that´s the first thing. the second thing is, that this map is for the tnt episode. i´m not sure, but i think, that the red outlines are more far away for the tnt episode like for the doom2 episode, in doombuilder, when you build a level. i think for plutonia, they also much more far away, so you cain build for plutonia too, much bigger levels then for doom2 episode. but i´m not 100% sure with that. and i have seen, so much damn fucking big levels. they all worked without problems. and like i said before. some days ago, the most problems were not there back then. i have made some new sectors, on the left outside line, and changed a little bit of some other things and after this, everything was fucked up. but the weird thing is. in most of the sectors, everything works right. this problems, are just in some specific sectors, which i showed you in the word document.

however!

i wait also, what other people have to said, to that!

djd

So, i think i have solved the problems for this map. i have made one sector much smaller, and some other ones i have put closer together. then i have tried the level once again, and the problems were disappeared. i can hit now all the monsters, in the sectors, where i was not able to hit them before. and also this big sector, with that ghost bug is solved, and everything works right now. so, thank you really much for your help. i hope everything works right, now. when not, i will write once again!

my other problems for my other maps, i will write later.

djd