Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

Smoother weapon sprite animations - Released!

JohnnyRancid said:

I did download Jdoom just to try it but this computer is a bucket of shit and runs jdoom at an average of 6 FPS.

What the heck are you doing, using microsoft gdi software GL renderer? My old P2 rig can gain over 20 in Doomsday with the worst video card of 1997. Please sort out your driver issues. You could try SciTech's GLDirect if you have a really fussy video card that sells its soul to Microsoft's DirectX APIs.

I have a couple of problems with your mod first is I don't have a Defs folder or an Auto folder within the data folder and when I click on your Pk_weapons.ded link it just sends me to a page with the file's code instead of downloading the file itself. Am I doing something wrong?

For the Doomsday folders I think there's just to make those folders yourself and put the files in them (I am still using the Beta 4 version).

For the link to pk_weapons.ded - right-click the link and choose "save link/target as".

perkristian said:

For the Doomsday folders I think there's just to make those folders yourself and put the files in them (I am still using the Beta 4 version).

For the link to pk_weapons.ded - right-click the link and choose "save link/target as".

Wow thanks dude it worked. And I must say this is one slick mod these sprites are awesome!

Janizdreg said:

Awesome work! I can barely wait for a non-Doomsday version. I will definitely add this to my list of permanently used addons once the Dehacked version is complete.

What I'm waiting for is a ZDoom compatible DECORATE version, which I will ditch the small chaingun from D2ENH.WAD and use these instead.

Id also like to see this as well for zdoom
I don't have any knowledge of jdoom editing but I'm sure I could make something for decorate

The WAD and DED is now updated with the rocket launcher, also did some minor improvements to the regular shotgun.

*adds to autoload*
Ohhh yeah. Massive props to perkristian, and thanks to phi108 for the pk3.

Edit: After playing more, I found two things: This is an easy way to get the SSG into Doom 1 (available with cheats only, obviously) and I think I actually prefer the single-shot chaingun better.

OpenGL GZDoom at 1920x1200 with brightmaps, lights, smoother weapons, high-res soundpack, even the JDTP if you're into that. So rad :)

Really great work!

One tiny nitpick though, and I don't know whether it is caused by phi108's DECORATE version, but in the last SSG firing animation frame the gun is held by doomguy's left hand, but the idle frame has it held by the right hand. Only shows up when playing at full screen size.

Tested it for the first time in ZDoom now and I noticed the same. I meant it to look like the left hand is lowered down to the stand-by position, but it seems like the last SSG frame is displayed longer in the DECORATE version. Also there's no recoil pause on the plasma rifle.

Think this is DECORATE issues, btw thanks for doing the DECORATE version phi108!

I have to admit; stuff generally looks a lot better in Doomsday... I may not have all settings optimized though.

perkristian said:

I have to admit; stuff generally looks a lot better in Doomsday... I may not have all settings optimized though.

Well, ZDoom's renderer is basically still Doom's old renderer at heart. GZDoom does have an OpenGL renderer which can support effects closer to Doomsday's. Both ports have some features in common, and some fancy exclusive effects.

I ported these to EDF for use in Eternity a while back; I'll have to remove some other unrelated stuff mixed in with them in the wad, but I'll see about uploading it sooner or later. They look great, in any case!

I fixed the SuperShotgun last frame, and the Plasma Rifle's shot delay. I also gave the pistol the correct bullet decal.

I also have added a second Chaingun flash to this one, though it may be unneccesary. The chaingun can now randomly play the flash sequence forward or backward.

I also put in a MAJOR hack to make the chaingun flash display for the correct number of tics. Doomsday does it correctly, with one tic for each flash sprite, but in ZDoom, the first flash sprite displays for 2 tics on the first shot. This hack fixes it.

It may now be incompatible with skulltag.

NEW LINK:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wtv7pl

EDIT: AND HERE is the file without the new chaingun flash and without the chaingun hack, but with the other fixes.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wc4jlw

Remember to load this .PK3 with pk_weapons.wad from the first post.

And about the ZDoom renderer, I like it because it's the classic Doom software renderer, with all it's weird quirks, and a beautiful (in the loosest sense) 256 color set. It feels like the pure doom visual experience, but updated.

But I really like features of GL ports like Doomsday and GZDoom, especially brightmaps, freelooking, 3d floors, and especially Doomsday's radiosity.

phi108 said:

But I really like features of GL ports like Doomsday and GZDoom, especially brightmaps, freelooking, 3d floors, and especially Doomsday's radiosity.

Bit of a tangent, but I constantly appreciate Perspective Correction. That's why mouselooking in GZDoom looks so good compared to software ports, which stretch strangely and give me motion sickness.

That, and SMMU's slime hack are my favorite Doom-related features. God I wish GZDoom had the slime hack option.

esselfortium said:

I ported these to EDF for use in Eternity a while back; I'll have to remove some other unrelated stuff mixed in with them in the wad, but I'll see about uploading it sooner or later. They look great, in any case!

Please do, it'd be mucho appreciated. :)

you should put the latest version always in the original post too. its confusing to hunt through the thread sometimes.

oh and is there one for zdoom?

Good idea, I've updated the original post with all necessary files. phi108's DECORATE version works with zdoom. (I took the liberty to host the files on my website)

BTW: Is there a way to get the SSG in Ultimate Doom in Doomsday?

I've noticed the strangest thing when running GZDoom - somewhere inside my computer there is a physical whining sound that changes according to whats on screen. It may come from the power supply...

One minor problem change with the DECORATE version is that dabbing the fire button with the chaingun only fires a single shot - thereby eliminating, or at least significantly reducing the effectiveness of "chaingun sniping" as only one shot, rather than the first two shots, are fully accurate and on target.

perkristian said:
I've noticed the strangest thing when running GZDoom - somewhere inside my computer there is a physical whining sound that changes according to whats on screen. It may come from the power supply... [/B]

Not the cpu or video fan is it? It's pretty normal for a fan to change pitch under different thermal load.

@ Perkristian

Why don't you place the Doomsday version in a pk3?

Or, you could also place the ded directly in the wad if you wish; simply load the ded into a wad like any other lump and then name it DD_DEFNS.

perkristian said:

BTW: Is there a way to get the SSG in Ultimate Doom in Doomsday

Doomsday does not natively allow using any game objects outside the games for which they were originally intended.

DaniJ:
That sounds reasonable to me.

Vermil:
Thanks for the heads up, I've placed the DED inside the wad now.

Super Jamie:
It's not the sound of a fan, just the slightest little mouse movement and the sound gets altered.

perkristian said:
Super Jamie:
It's not the sound of a fan, just the slightest little mouse movement and the sound gets altered.

Perk, this is likely to be your soundcard - do you have another you can use? If it's a desktop, and you're NOT using on-board sound, but a proper soundcard, try putting a rubber washer between it and the screw holding it to the case. Is it a laptop? Try without the laptop's PSU connected?

Fantastic mod btw, one of those things I think we all wished happened to Doom much much earlier! I shall use this whenever I play now! Thank you for your hard work, the results are stellar. :)

Enjay said:

One minor problem change with the DECORATE version is that dabbing the fire button with the chaingun only fires a single shot - thereby eliminating, or at least significantly reducing the effectiveness of "chaingun sniping" as only one shot, rather than the first two shots, are fully accurate and on target.

It's like that in the doomsday version too. If you watch the second video you can clearly see him shooting single shots at a time.

With Skulltag, there is a bit weirdness with the configuration when picking up new weapons. You can pick them up initially but when switching to something else, I can't choose it again.

One other thing is that my launcher is disappearing during the firing sequence and reappearing when idle.