Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prince of Darkness

Need a New Copy of Doom

I recently got a new computer, and I was planning on beginning to mod Doom (so I could be a functioning member of this society) but I seem to have, for lack of a better term, lost my collector's edition of Doom. The problem is, I want to mod, but I don't know what copy of Doom I should purchase or download- anyone got any ideas?

Your best bet would be Doom Collector's Edition off a site like Amazon or Ebay. You get all the commercial wads you need. I don't own it but I've heard that purchasing the games through Steam installs the wads and a DOSBox frontend, so you should still be able to use those wads as well. id software also sells them off their website, but I'm pretty sure the previously mentioned places are much cheaper.
Almost all PWADs are made for Doom II (doom2.wad) since it has all the weapons and monsters. The only PWADs that use the Ultimate Doom and Final Doom wads are specialized projects that utilize the resources that Doom II doesn't have (e.g. 1994 maps, KDIZD, Plutonia 2).

Get the collectors edition. Has all 4 wads that are all up to date (Ultimate doom, doom 2, and both final doom episodes).

/me holds up anti-anti-Steam shield

On Steam, Doom II (also with Master Levels!) is $10, and it just about covers the majority of PWADs ever made, and most people are going to expect Doom II PWADs anyway. The whole series on Steam is $40, so for just the classic series, you should probably hunt around Amazon for the Doom Collector's Edition which will be cheaper but not include the Master Levels; although if you would want Doom 3 as well, it's a pretty good deal.

While not biting the warez bait, I would say that it might be best you search all over your comps first for the iwads before you buy.
Since I have many computers over the years, I usually have more than one copy lying around. Of course, I may be spoiled in that regard. I'm glad I did that, though. I even found my old copy of heretic Registered by doing so. I now keep them all on a flashstick clearly labelled "DOOM".

....Because somehow I lose discs, but I keep up with flash drives. Weird, huh?

I'm a sucker. I bought Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen off the id site.

If I eventually get Final Doom I'll try and be a little smart and get a used copy off Amazon.