Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
babar

playstation vs pc doom

ok, first i must point out that i am not an emu freak or a wad designer,
or any such thing. im actually an electronic music producer (psy trance), and concept artist/illustrator.

my first experience with doom was the playstation release of doom. i have played the pc versions, however, in the playstation version, i was much more impressed as the soundscore was replaced by Aubrey Hodges brilliant ambient landscapes which i dont think anyone would argue made the game infinitely darker by comparison to its midi soundtrack
cousins.

my question is, is there a playable pc release of the playstation version of doom? i have been trying to configure epsxe emu to run the
game, but running into all kinds of garbage just trying to run the
.bin file, which shouldnt be a big deal. ive read countless tutorials for epsxe and i get a black screen and past that, cant get it to
move past the "i want a gamepad" config screen in epsxe's loading screen. /sigh.

all i want to do is play this version of the game again without having to go out and buy another playstation and buy the original disc..again. so, i figured that you fellow doom lovers might have some advice. please help....this version of the game was magnificent,
i dont think the impression will ever leave me!

You could just buy the PS doom disk and then run it on an emulator on your PC or if you have a PS2 or PS3 they would also run it. That would probably be the simplist way, or if not then I'm sure there is a PS Doom WAD that tries to run exactly the same as the original PS Doom somewhere on the archives but I'm not the person to be asking about that really. Also a PS Doom WAD would probably need a sourceport such as Zdoom to run due to the coloured lighting effects and in these sourceports you may notice slight changes in game play which you may or may not like.

wow, much love, thank you very much! i'll have to give that a
try!

I did prefer the PSX version, as it's what I've spent most of my life playing. But it's pretty obvious having played the PC version for the past few months that it's far superior.

The only thing that's better in PSX Doom is it's ambient soundtrack. <3

While the PC version is far superior, I think PSX Doom is the best Doom out there. With the mix of new, better, and more realistic sound effects, cool ass colored lighting, the amount of levels you get in one package, the inclusion of the Jaguar Levels (which I'm better acquainted to), and the ambient soundtrack (Aubrey Hodges is a genius for this). You just get this certain atmosphere in PSX Doom that you just don't get in PC Doom. After you play it, you just don't look at PC Doom the same way. It is in my opinion the best version of Doom I own (Which also includes the ports to Saturn, SNES, and Doom 64). I'd also recommend PSX Final Doom as well.

As for the TC, while it's nice to have something so close to the PSX on PC, it just doesn't cut it for me. The colored lighting is all screwed up when I play in Skulltag, so I just play the original.

I would recommend you to just get another disk of it, as it's the best way to play.

Totally forgot to mention, I also think some levels look much better in PSX Doom. Phobos Anomaly (E1M8) looks far better, with a lot more detail. Hell Beneath (E4M1) is another that looks all the better for the few extra details it has.

Reevys said:

Totally forgot to mention, I also think some levels look much better in PSX Doom. Phobos Anomaly (E1M8) looks far better, with a lot more detail. Hell Beneath (E4M1) is another that looks all the better for the few extra details it has.

Yeah, I love the new look that the Jaguar Levels gave, Phobos Anomaly was one of those levels that got moderately changed in a good way. I loved the beginning room with all the zombiemen around the barrels. When I first saw it, i thought I had to kill them all, then the barrels went off and I laughed. I got a gibbed zombieman to go all the way down the stairs once there too. Spawning Vats is another level that changed in the Jag/PSX levels also. It went from this tech base level to a stone built structure, which I think made a lot more sense than the original.

How was Hell Beneath that different? The only thing I noticed different was all of the hook and chain decorations around, but other than that, nothing.

I thought the retextured spawning vats was great. It made it feel like an entirely new map. Phobos anomaly's new beginning was cool, but I like the original star room more, where the entire thing opens rather than just the top.

Mattfrie1 said:

Spawning Vats is another level that changed in the Jag/PSX levels also. It went from this tech base level to a stone built structure, which I think made a lot more sense than the original.

The original isn't supposed to make sense. The whole Deimos base is a tech base whose reality is being altered, so everything is a mix between tech and hell. It gives a really strange atmosphere, quite surreal, much more exotic IMO than the fire-and-brimstone hell of Episode 3.

Yeah setting up ePSXe is a pain, it took me a few hours to find a working graphics plugin and bios. I load the game from the original disk though, not an image, but here's my setup anyway:

Video -> Pete's D3D Driver 1.77
Sound -> ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0
CdRom -> ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0
Bios -> SCPH1001

Also be sure to change the gamepad layout, the default one sucks.

Mattfrie1 said:

How was Hell Beneath that different? The only thing I noticed different was all of the hook and chain decorations around, but other than that, nothing.

That, and a few of the textures were different, especially around the beginning area. Subtle as the differences are, they do build a much better atmosphere in that match, especially when coupled with that awesome music. <3

Scet said:

Yeah setting up ePSXe is a pain, it took me a few hours to find a working graphics plugin and bios. I load the game from the original disk though, not an image, but here's my setup anyway:

Video -> Pete's D3D Driver 1.77
Sound -> ePSXe SPU core 1.7.0
CdRom -> ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0
Bios -> SCPH1001

Also be sure to change the gamepad layout, the default one sucks.

yea, i agree with getting the original vs anything else. even if
it means that i dont have to buy a playstation, (i dont console
game anymore, thanks to world of warcraft and some other games. b4
someone cracks on me for playing wow, ive played every version of warcraft, and was playing wow itself on the release date of nov 04',
before non warcraft fans even knew it existed)

but...like i said at least i dont have to buy a console. i can handle
buying the game again. funny really.... ive been itching to play that
version of the game again for years now and i play wow at least every other day hahahaaha......and i would love to see another doom game
come out that focused on the feel of the psx doom. doom 3 was a graphics experiment, and a horrible game. in the original, remember
how fast you could move around? in gigantic wide open areas for a lot of the levels? that was great imagery. made the levels look enormous
and hellish. imagine the graphics engine from the 3rd game based on
a shooter like the first. in doom 3 you plodded around in this slow ass suit around tightly confined levels that for the most part looked the same. amazing graphics for the time but a really boring game.

well, you guys have been incredibly helpful and i thank you all!

I applaud you on trying to get the original game, but the best way to play it is on the console itself. That is, if you want the real original feel to the game. As weird as it may sound, getting a PSX isn't that expensive, you just have to wait for a good deal to come along. I was able to buy a PSX for $30 a while back, so I guess you just have to be patient for the right price to come along.

@Reevys: I just checked out the differences between both versions of Hell Beneath, and the PSX version does have some cool differences in it. The beginning area changed the texture on the walls to a different flesh texture and added chain and hook decorations. Also the red key room added demonic faces on the walls and chain and hook decorations. The biggest difference I noticed was in the NIN blue key room. The floor texture changed, and the rising wall texture changed from skulls to dead corpses, and obviously the biggest difference, they took out the NIN symbol and replaced it with a bunch of gory decorations. So I guess I do see the differences now. :)

It also works great through the PSX support in the PSP. I play it that way quite a bit more than on the PSX/PS2 or via emulation on a PC. It's also portable that way. :)

Chilly Willy said:

It also works great through the PSX support in the PSP. I play it that way quite a bit more than on the PSX/PS2 or via emulation on a PC. It's also portable that way. :)

I've heard that using PSP to eumlate PSX games sometimes drops the music. Is this true for emulating it on a PSP, because I'm pretty sure it got rid of the music when you used a PSP to emulate Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

Mattfrie1 said:

I've heard that using PSP to eumlate PSX games sometimes drops the music. Is this true for emulating it on a PSP, because I'm pretty sure it got rid of the music when you used a PSP to emulate Mortal Kombat Trilogy.

I emulated South Park Rally on my PSP and it worked fine... maybe certain roms??

Mattfrie1 said:

@Reevys: I just checked out the differences between both versions of Hell Beneath, and the PSX version does have some cool differences in it. The beginning area changed the texture on the walls to a different flesh texture and added chain and hook decorations. Also the red key room added demonic faces on the walls and chain and hook decorations. The biggest difference I noticed was in the NIN blue key room. The floor texture changed, and the rising wall texture changed from skulls to dead corpses, and obviously the biggest difference, they took out the NIN symbol and replaced it with a bunch of gory decorations. So I guess I do see the differences now. :)

Indeed. Subtle as they are, the changes make a big difference I feel. It's these changes, coupled with the music, that make PSX Doom a far better experience.

Mattfrie1 said:
I applaud you on trying to get the original game, but the best way to play it is on the console itself. That is, if you want the real original feel to the game. As weird as it may sound, getting a PSX isn't that expensive, you just have to wait for a good deal to come along. I was able to buy a PSX for $30 a while back, so I guess you just have to be patient for the right price to come along.

actually, now that i think about it, you are absolutely right.
an original psx is a small investment for the joy of playing this
version of the game, and yes, there are deals all over the place on
the original console, like you said, ive seen them for as little as
$25, so there out there, time to go retro! not to mention the
original nightmare creatures will get promptly bought and played
again.....>.> hahahah i love the original, but DOOM! amg i cant wait.

i used to play doom on a $7k home theatre, (i own a projector) on a
10 foot drop down crystal matrix screen. with 1000 watts of pure polk
audio surround. (5.0 back then), of coarse this was simulated with this game as there are no surround channels in the audio, but the echo effects made it sound like it did! in the dark, playin doom on a 10 foot screen, at 1k watts! wooooo hooooo! the chain gun actually
shook my living room:)

babar said:

i used to play doom on a $7k home theatre, (i own a projector) on a
10 foot drop down crystal matrix screen. with 1000 watts of pure polk
audio surround. (5.0 back then), of coarse this was simulated with this game as there are no surround channels in the audio, but the echo effects made it sound like it did! in the dark, playin doom on a 10 foot screen, at 1k watts! wooooo hooooo! the chain gun actually
shook my living room:)

Wow. Just wow. And to think I'm stuck playing on a 13.3 inch MacBook.

babar said:

actually, now that i think about it, you are absolutely right.
an original psx is a small investment for the joy of playing this
version of the game, and yes, there are deals all over the place on
the original console, like you said, ive seen them for as little as
$25, so there out there, time to go retro! not to mention the
original nightmare creatures will get promptly bought and played
again.....>.> hahahah i love the original, but DOOM! amg i cant wait.

Well, I'm happy to see I've proved my point. You won't be disappointed. I've actually played PSX Doom on an emulator, and it just seemed to be too pixelated and just didn't look right.

@Reevys: Finally, I'm not the only person on here that actually prefers PSX Doom to PC Doom. It seems that everyone on these forums prefers PC Doom over PSX Doom. While both are equally good in their own right, I think the PSX Doom just has that extra edge that makes it better than the rest.

The exclusive levels on the PSX have awesome atmosphere, especially Twilight Descends and The Mansion. Also, the PSX version is the only port to have the awesome Club Doom. :)

They are awesome maps (Twilight Descends is my favourite Doom map ever). The Lost Episode is a good way to play these levels, but it's just not quite the same as playing the originals.

Mattfrie1 said:

A lot of illegal rips of PSX games on the net don't have the CDDA tracks. When you try to use those on the PSP, you obviously won't get music. Many games won't work without the CDDA tracks, like DOOM, Final DOOM, Tomb Raider 1/2/3, Ridge Racer, etc.

You should always make rips of your own original discs. This guarantees you get the CDDA tracks, which the PSX 2 PSP converter then includes in the EBOOT. Games purchased from the Playstation Store will also have the CDDA tracks.