Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Deathmatch Point System?

I think it'd be fun to get points in DM. If you kill someone with an SSG, you get 10 points.
Shotgun, 25 points.
Rocket, 10 points.
Plasma 5 points.
BFG 2 points.
Chaingun 25 points.
Pistol 50 points.
Chainsaw 70 points.
Fist 200 points.
Berserk 50 points.

RL suicide = -10 points

So if you get killed 20 times by BFG but kill your opponent once with a pistol you win. Most frags are tie breakers.

optional
Dying = -2X points whatever weapon killed you.

So, for example, if you only get one frag, but it's with a pistol, and the other guy kills you 30 times but with BFG you still win. Dying 30 times from a BFG means you lose 120 points. Your opponent dying once from your pistol means he loses 100 points. But he only gets 20 points from killing you. So he has -80 points. Meanwhile you get 50 points for killing him and lose 120 points for dying 30 times. So you end up with -70 points which is 10 points more than your opponent.

Interesting concept. Not sure about the -2X part, since most games would probably end up with negative scores. Maybe -0.5X?

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't think it's right to punish players for picking up Beserk.

I doubt it'd be a punishment. Chances are, if you get a kill with berserk, you wouldn't of had a kill without it.

DooMAD said:

Interesting concept. Not sure about the -2X part, since most games would probably end up with negative scores. Maybe -0.5X?

yeah, you're probably right. I originally had that whole section strikethru but it made it hard to read. -.5X prolly makes more sense. Then only if you're really sucking will you go negative for epic fail.

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't think it's right to punish players for picking up Beserk.

Hmm? Sorry, I don't understand. You should get more points for fragging with berserk?

Hellbent said:

Hmm? Sorry, I don't understand. You should get more points for fragging with berserk?

No, it should be the same, since once you have beserk you can't go back to normal fists. I don't think it would be cool going for the two hundred and "Dangit I ran over the beserk". Then you'd get people who'd use beserk packs to manipulate maps and ultimately mess up gameplay. I can already see it now, a maze made up of beserk packs, where players inch along, trying not to mess up their precious 4x bonus.

This would of course be messed-up by a new form of kill-stealing. Fire a rocket near to an enemy to soften him up, switch quickly to pistol and finish him.

Alternatively, you could count not frags but hit points removed. You inflict ten damage on an enemy, you score ten points. Then each weapon can have its own multiplier. This, of course, can be abused in a different way (two wankers acting as a team could rack up points by hurting each other then running over medikits, repeatedly).

You certainly can't count weapons in the same way without regarding the number of players. The BFG, rocket launcher and plasma gun become more effective with more players, evidently.

Player style also affects what weapons are more effective, and such a system would skew the game by applying a standard based on certain types of player.

DuckReconMajor said:

No, it should be the same, since once you have beserk you can't go back to normal fists. I don't think it would be cool going for the two hundred and "Dangit I ran over the beserk". Then you'd get people who'd use beserk packs to manipulate maps and ultimately mess up gameplay. I can already see it now, a maze made up of beserk packs, where players inch along, trying not to mess up their precious 4x bonus.

Lol. I don't know how many people will bother trying to get 200 points by finishing off the kill with fist. It's very hard to do and not likely to be worth the effort.

Gez said:

This would of course be messed-up by a new form of kill-stealing. Fire a rocket near to an enemy to soften him up, switch quickly to pistol and finish him.

Alternatively, you could count not frags but hit points removed. You inflict ten damage on an enemy, you score ten points. Then each weapon can have its own multiplier. This, of course, can be abused in a different way (two wankers acting as a team could rack up points by hurting each other then running over medikits, repeatedly).

Nice idea. I never play team dm so this wouldn't be a factor for me. Your suggestion is good. Fragging someone would then have the same points regardless the weapons used.

myk said:

You certainly can't count weapons in the same way without regarding the number of players. The BFG, rocket launcher and plasma gun become more effective with more players, evidently.

Player style also affects what weapons are more effective, and such a system would skew the game by applying a standard based on certain types of player.

Yeah, I had sort of thought about this too. I don't think it's such a big factor that the point system would be rendered ineffectual tho. If you're good at using the chaingun you should get rewarded for that. In my experience most people are good with RL, Plasma and SSG, and don't bother with the weaker weapons much. Also, I don't see how using an SG or Chaingun, regarldess of your style, could be just as powerful as an SSG. If you are good with SG or CG, you should have no problem being expert with SSG, too.

I mean, if you want to get nitpicky about it, map layout and powerups present influence even more how powerful or weak a weapon is than the person using it or the number of players. You could have different point systems for different amount of players but I think that'd be getting to complicated.

Gez said:

(two wankers acting as a team could rack up points by hurting each other then running over medikits, repeatedly).

Force team damage to be off? Although I think team damage adds to a game's challenge, it isn't such a bad sacrifice since hardly anyone likes using it anyway.

magicsofa said:

How about you get points for resolving your issues in a humane and reasonable way?

+50 points if you give a gift to the opposing player!

Hellbent said:
I never play team dm so this wouldn't be a factor for me.

I don't think he means team deathmatch, just two guys hurting each other in FFA. In team mode (with full team damage) hurting your mates would just subtract the amount of hit points from your score.

DuckReconMajor said:

"Dangit I ran over the beserk".

How often does that happen? Its not like berserk is laying around everywhere. It's a pretty rare item.

The stuff listed in the thread kinda reminds me of scoredoom, but in that port you get the amount of points for the amount of damage you dish out, subtract a few points for the time in between killing things, and gain bonus points for killing people in quick intervals.

Gez said:

I dont know if you've played deathmatch recently but if you can do that, you're pretty talented and deserving of those 50 points IMO.

JohnnyRancid said:

How often does that happen? Its not like berserk is laying around everywhere. It's a pretty rare item.

The stuff listed in the thread kinda reminds me of scoredoom, but in that port you get the amount of points for the amount of damage you dish out, subtract a few points for the time in between killing things, and gain bonus points for killing people in quick intervals.

I dont know if you've played deathmatch recently but if you can do that, you're pretty talented and deserving of those 50 points IMO.

I think the risk of switching weapons to finish off the kill would just add fun to the tactical arsenal the player has in getting points in DM. Sometimes I just know someone has one pistol worth of life left, and I like to switch to pistol or chaingun to finish them off. Why not be rewarded for this? It also means weaker weapons which have less of a role in DM have more incentive to be used while where repeated plasma spamming might usually be enough to win, players will be forced to use other weapons if they want to get ahead.

I don't know if I like the idea of losing points for dry spells or gaining points via hitpoints removed (although I suppose if the amount of points you got reflected the weapon you were using might be good) but bonus points for frags that come close together is a definitely good feature.

I was trying to figure out a way to reward people for staying a live a long time. That's why I came up with -2x when you get killed, but I don't think this is a good system. Maybe bonus points when you've killed 5 people without dying (what's considered a killing spree in Zdoom)

Updated point scheme allowing points for hurting people as well as fragging:

Number of points for fragging opponent:

Shotgun, 2500 points.
Rocket, 1000 points.
Plasma 500 points.
BFG 200 points.
Chaingun 2500 points.
Pistol 5000 points.
Chainsaw 7000 points.
Fist 20000 points.
Berserk 5000 points.
Telefrag 4000 points.

Number of points awarded for EACH hitpoint of damage you take away from opponent:

Shotgun, 10 points.
Rocket, 4 points.
Plasma 2 points.
BFG 1 point.
Chaingun 10 points.
Pistol 20 points.
Chainsaw 30 points.
Fist 80 points.
Berserk 20 points.

So you're still getting the majority of your points through the frag. You'd also get bonus points for very frequent hits even if you aren't fragging people.

Should you get points for depleting armor as well?