Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Texas Libra

Star Trek (2009)

Technician said:

If they include Mudd in the next film we may have a great series ahead of us.

There's actually a lot of talk about that on Trek boards around the 'net, some of them saying Paul Giamatti should play Harry Mudd.

Of course, a lot of those boards are also talking about Khan retuning for the sequel. My only response to that is PLEASE GOD NO!!!!!! Nobody could ever top Ricardo Montalban as Khan.

Here's my basic idea for a sequel: a plot involving a full-scale war with the Klingon Empire caused by a Federation ship destroying in self-defense a Klingon ship that happened to be transporting the Chancellor of the Klingon High Council. The Federation ship was none other than the USS Enterprise. What's more is that the Chancellor's son is Kang, from the TOS episode "Day Of The Dove", and this gives him a personal excuse to seek revenge on Captain Kirk. This allows for both the "wide-scope" plot and the more "personal" plot. Teaming up with Kirk and the Enterprise on the Federation side is the newly-christened USS Constellation, commanded by none other than Commodore Matthew Decker (from the TOS episode "The Doomsday Machine"). Decker is clearly more of the aggressor in this case, the shoot-first-and-ask-questions-later type, thereby created the bad good guy of the movie. Harry Mudd could come in as the wild card who has valuable information that could lead to a quick Federation victory to the war...for a price.

I honestly think something along that line could do for this new Star Trek movie what The Dark Knight did for Batman Begins, possibly even creating a multi-movie story arc.

Who'd I like to see playing the new characters? As stated before I'd definitely like to see Paul Giamatti as Harry Mudd. The Klingon Chancellor could be either Robert o'Reilly (Gowron from TNG and DS9) or Michael Ansara (the TOS Kang), serving as another "previous Trek actor" homage. I'm torn between Harrison Ford and Tom Hanks as Commodore Decker. Kang is the only one I'm having trouble with. The closest possible match I can think of would be Ricardo Antonio Chavira...yeah, I know what you're probably thinking, and I probably agree with you.

So...what do you think? What are your ides for a sequel?

I'd hope they stay away from Khan as well. Not just for the sake of Ricardo but it's hard enough adjusting to the new character of Kirk with such a character complex as Khan and Kirk in Star Trek 2. No two actors could top their performances in that film. That said I also hope they stay away from Genesis. I like seeing fanfare nods but I would really hope that this series paves the way for new adventures. I think this series could pull it off where other franchises like most super hero films have to stay in that comic’s universe and villains (Look what happens when you don't pit Superman against Luther).

I'm saddened by the new caricatures they made of the Romulans. They have taken then from a Romanesque heritage and gave then a tribal look. I can't see then at all modifying the mold set for the Klingons however seeing as their fan base is as strong as any character from the series. I've noticed they have stayed away from Klingons entirely from the first film so I can assume they will be staring as the main villain in the next film. I can't see them passing it up at all.

The first film had many of the problems that a first film of this caliber would have. I mean they did just ham-fist an entire serials back-story in one film after all. But I like this movie a lot and with the right people we could have a great new line up of Trek Films.

I also hope that Shatner gets his cameo in the next film.

Technician said:

I'm saddened by the new caricatures they made of the Romulans. They have taken then from a Romanesque heritage and gave then a tribal look.

Remember that Star Trek: Countdown prequel comic series I mentioned earlier in this thread? In the first 2 parts the Narada's crew look like the Romulans we know and love from the TNG era. It isn't until part 3 that you see the crew get those tattoos on their faces and their heads shaven. As to why they did that, here's a direct quote from the frames of the comic:

"There was a tradition on Romulus that when a loved on died...you would paint your grief upon your skin. Ancient symbols of love and loss. In time the paint would fade, and with it the period of mourning. Life would go on. We paint those symbols on our skin now. But we burn them deep. So that they never fade. Because life does not go on. We died with our friends. We died with our families. We died with Romulus. And all that is left is revenge."

Probably not "canon" since it's a comic book, but it does shine a little bit of light on the subject.

Technician said:

I've noticed they have stayed away from Klingons entirely from the first film...

Well, yes and no.

Technician said:

I also hope that Shatner gets his cameo in the next film.

Alright, that's it, you made me say it...Shatner can go Hell for all I care. I'm sorry, I like the character of Captain Kirk, but William Shatner himself can die for all I care, that fucking egomaniac...

I saw this yesterday, and I have to say I actually enjoyed it. I had low expectations going in, and it surpassed them so I am satisfied enough.

I especially enjoyed Skeet Ulrich's portrayal of McCoy. He got the ridiculous performance down perfectly.