Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kinsie

Doom in Flash II: Electric Boogaloo

Back in November, a Newgrounds programmer called "mike" did a quick and dirty port of the demo version of Doom to Flash 10, using Adobe's Alchemy research project. Now, he's updated the port with improved controls, a nicer framerate, the demo versions of Heretic and Hexen, and Newgrounds' "medals" system (think achievements). You can check it out here. It's a pretty impressive example of how far Flash has come.

Well it's a lot better than another version of Doom I played(possible made by Adobe), which was slower than molasses on a cold winters day. At least this one plays almost the same as the PC version, except for the crappy controls(R for use,Space for fire)?

Shitty mouse controls, too. I keep bumping into the edges of my desktop holding down the button.

Tell me there's a way to change that, right?

Pretty cool, but I can't say I enjoyed the controls very much either :/. Atleast not on this laptop...if I'm gonna play Doom with a keyboard, this particular laptop keyboard won't cut it. Actually I don't think a regular keyboard would have made me enjoy the control scheme that much more.

Still pretty cool though :P

Controls were pretty lousy, but at least it also runs Hexen! Not Strife though. And... just like in vanilla Hexen (and not like in ZDoom), Cleric (and Mage) melee attacks do NOT push targets!

TheeXile said:

Shitty mouse controls, too. I keep bumping into the edges of my desktop holding down the button.

Tell me there's a way to change that, right?

Yes you can. At the game select screen look at the bottom. :)

ahem.. anyway. HOLY CRAP! Indeed Csonicgo.

It ran just as fast as doom normally does on my rig. (2.2 Athlon 64 FX-51)

Awesome sauce.

As I was playing keyboard only, it eventually jammed (not to mention it runs both slow and sound-lagged), so I gave it up. Ettins destroyed my cleric mercilessly, since I was also unable to push them away with my mace (which is BTW proper Hexen behaviour, I hope the ZDoom guys notice it :P), and spun around like a catatonic.

leileilol said:

I hope flash quake is next

Not before they iron out the fucking mouse. I won't touch that shit with a 20 foot rod until they do.

Cutman said:

TheeXile, do you not like the mouse control?

Apparently flash doesn't allow mouse capturing (my guess is for security reasons), so it can't properly implement mouse aim. It always hits the edge of my desktop if I scroll it too far, and it's forced to require the mouse button to be held down. Plus I'm not sure if flash even allows you to make use of the right mouse button at all.

This is technologically very impressive. The next "thing to do" would be for somebody to port DOOM to JavaScript with the intention of running it under Firefox's TraceMonkey JIT compiler and rendering to a canvas object.

Quasar said:

This is technologically very impressive. The next "thing to do" would be for somebody to port DOOM to JavaScript with the intention of running it under Firefox's TraceMonkey JIT compiler and rendering to a canvas object.

I couldn't get canvas to work on my Firefox. It said it needs a Quicktime plugin. Isn't it supposed to be an HTML5 standard, though?

Edit: Okay apparently I'm wrong.

Sign in to follow this