Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Doom 95, Anyone?

God, I got it with Doom Collector's Edition. I hated it. The sounds were deeper than they were supposed to be, the sprites were all "fatter" on no matter what resolution, and the invisibility only worked for me if I ran it in a window. I prefer Chocolate Doom, or DOOM.EXE over Doom95 any day.

Whoo said:
The sounds were deeper than they were supposed to be,

The sound imitates the behavior of Doom under true DOS, that sounds deeper than under any version of Windows.

the sprites were all "fatter" on no matter what resolution,

Visuals are fatter in desktop modes (640x480 and 320x240) because they lack the expected pixel stretching. In the original modes, actual sprites and visuals look normal. The weapon graphics are drawn larger than in Doom in all cases, which also makes them look rougher in 320x200.

and the invisibility only worked for me if I ran it in a window.

Yeah, there's a command line parameter that fixes that and other potential rendering problems (see my reply to StupidBunny above) but no one ever officially provided documentation on any new Doom95 parameters. The parameters specific to Doom95 were unveiled unofficially.

Hell's Vendetta said:

Hm strange, i got mine around the same time but i don't recall getting doom95 with my package. Maybe it was a different disc?

As I said, mine were re-play distribution by GT Interactive (Europe). It has a yellow re-play overlay over the (original?) Final Doom box for certain regions of Europe. Box and manual in English, Italian, Spanish, French, and Dutch :-p

The box has the "Designed for Windows 95" logo on the side, and the Final Doom's CD-ROM art is black with a white "The Scream"-like face in the background, which looks weird.

lol... the hell with all of this, if you love Doom, which you all do, obviously, lol... just fire up chocolate doom... it's the closest thing to the original one could get, in my opinion. It also doesn't change a thing from the original release, when it comes to the quality of the game, as damn-near everything is intact as it should be... the good-ol' classic way, lads!

haha... i first picked up my dads copy of Doom 95 (Final Doom) in 2005...
I Played it for 3 years straight - not knowing anything about the source ports or community....*insert ashamed face*
It wasn't untill i got my vista and then, *gasp* Final Doom wouldn't work.

I hit up Google and it all went uphill from there.

P.S. For all those wondering...I'm 16, But anyone 19 or younger pisses me off... >_>

i had just started using doom 1 shareware using the original DOS exe on windows XP (i didnt need to use dosbox on XP).

not knowing at the time, i downloaded what i thought was a shareware of doom II (seems so wrong now **) and installed it. when i played it it was doom95 running shareware doom 1. it was ok at the time, but as soon as i found zdoom i realised that so many things were wrong with doom95. in fact, if it wasnt for me stumbling upon zdoom then i probably wouldnt be playing doom now.

i bought the collectors edition on ebay since i wanted the full games, as soon as the disc arrived, copied the iwads off and that was it. completely ignored the doom95 since i knew it was pretty dire.

I still have DOOM95 however because of the screen resolution on my Laptop(and not to mention using Windows Vista) it bugs out to the point of being unplayable. I for one use Dosbox whenever I feel like playing DOOM or DOOMII the old-school way ;)