Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

Deathmatch and Co-op on Console Ports

Has anyone here ever played Deathmatch or Co-op mode on any of the console ports? I'm interested to see how the multiplayer is especially on the PlayStation version, but all the requirements that it need are really a hassle. So the question I'm asking in short, Is deathmatch or co-op on the console ports anything special?

Played some deathmatch on the xbox live arcade version once. It would have been nice if they changed the netcode.

I've played both deathmatch and co-op on the Playstation versions of Doom and Final Doom and deathmatch using XBAND on the SNES version. I think I still have some XBAND footage somewhere on a VHS tape that I suppose I could try to put on youtube or something sometime if people are interested.

It's been a number of years since I've played either, but I remember the Playstation versions being pretty good. It's a pain to set up because you need 2 TVs, 2 game discs, 2 Playstation systems that both have the link cable port and 1 Playstation link cable to make the connection. Once you have it up and running though, it's just as good as the single player. Don't remember it having any lag if that's what you are concerned about.

I enjoyed playing on Xbox Live Arcade version. Takes about 5 min. to get someone to play with (at least when I was on). There are also a few other issues, like not being able to change levels without starting a new game, but it's still a lot of fun.

If anyone's interested, I know an easy way to get the 50 and 100 kill achievements (no it's not cheating :))

KillingMachine said:

I've played both deathmatch and co-op on the Playstation versions of Doom and Final Doom and deathmatch using XBAND on the SNES version. I think I still have some XBAND footage somewhere on a VHS tape that I suppose I could try to put on youtube or something sometime if people are interested.

It's been a number of years since I've played either, but I remember the Playstation versions being pretty good. It's a pain to set up because you need 2 TVs, 2 game discs, 2 Playstation systems that both have the link cable port and 1 Playstation link cable to make the connection. Once you have it up and running though, it's just as good as the single player. Don't remember it having any lag if that's what you are concerned about.

I'm interested in seeing a SNES Doom deathmatch. I've looked all over youtube for XBAND footage, and I can only get videos of Super Mario Kart battle (Which is fun to watch).

Now with Deathmatch on the PlayStation, isn't it set up that there is an unlimited time and frag limit, and the only way you can leave a level is by the exit?

I've been trying to get one of my friends to buy a PlayStation 1 and Doom for it so we could deathmatch, but I don't think he's going to want to buy a PS1 just for that, which kills my idea for having a deathmatch. :(

As promised, I uploaded an SNES XBAND Doom deathmatch to youtube. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P3JGxBNUyM

I've got quite a bit more, but I doubt people will find it interesting enough to want to watch all that much of it.

With the Playstation Doom deathmatch, I don't remember there being a time or frag limit. I'm pretty sure it's just like you said. You just frag until someone exits the level, then it adds up the frag totals and declares one of you the winner and then moves on to the next level. There is an option to start playing on whatever level you want though.

Wow, thanks for the vid.

Now from what I saw in the video, I'm guessing the only way that you see the other player is facing you with the shooting pose? Kind of confusing. The vid was very interesting though, I'd love to see more if you are willing to put them up, I just don't want to come across as a pest though. :)

Also if anyone could put up a video a PlayStation Doom Deathmatch or Co-op, I'd be very happy. :) To bad it's such a pain in the ass to Deathmatch on the PlayStation though.

Mattfrie1 said:

To bad it's such a pain in the ass to Deathmatch on the PlayStation though.

You could try using emulation, obviously it won't be the same as the real thing though. There's a Kaillera-based plugin if anyone wants to try.

Mattfrie1 said:

Wow, thanks for the vid.

Now from what I saw in the video, I'm guessing the only way that you see the other player is facing you with the shooting pose? Kind of confusing.

Yeah, that's exactly the way it works. No matter what direction they are facing, you always see them facing you. Made it so you never really knew if you were sneaking up on someone or not. Everything in SNES Doom is like that though. The monsters work that way in single player.

I'll see about possibly adding a few more SNES XBAND deathmatches sometime. It can be kinda tricky to work around youtube's time limits. Plus, some of the deathmatches seem to drag on a long time with people looking for each other forever and not much action.

Mattfrie1 said:

Also if anyone could put up a video a PlayStation Doom Deathmatch or Co-op, I'd be very happy. :) To bad it's such a pain in the ass to Deathmatch on the PlayStation though.

I went ahead and put up a very basic video of PlayStation Doom deathmatch. It's just enough to give you an idea of what it looks like and a quick freebie frag since I don't have anyone to actually play it with. Anyway, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLXRviX-hzM

My conversion of Doom for the PSP has wifi support in it, but since it's based on older code, you can't connect to newer source ports. I was able to play against the old SDL Doom on a PC.

The next time I update Doom for the PSP, my plan is to use PrBoom+ as the base. That should help with both BOOM based patch wads, and being able to play against PC folks using PrBoom+ (and whatever it supports).

Wow, thanks again for the vid.

Also in SNES Doom, does it always look like they are shooting at you? Or do they actually go back to a normal non-shooting sprite? If it keeps the shooting sprite, it must be confusing as hell without sound effects to even hear them shooting at you. It must be even funnier if you could see from a monster view-point, lol.

PlayStation Doom deathmatch looks a lot like the deathmatch on the Jaguar version, but I'm guessing it was because the PlayStation version used a slightly modified version of the Jaguar engine. Too bad you couldn't have anyone to play against :( . I'd love to see a full deathmatch up at sometime (and it doesn't have to be from you KillingMachine, I don't want to be bothering you with video requests :) ).

I've played Deathmatch, and Cooperative on the Xbox 360 version. Personally, I never liked it. I only saw players on like once every month, and I only played for like 2 hours, and I was already near the top of the scoreboard(#2, or #3 I think). Then I've played Cooperative on the Super Nintendo once. That was a much better experience. The graphics were more original doom like, and it was a lot of fun playing with friends. The Xbox 360 version lacked two things, original doom style visuals, and lack of interest. Though I can understand the lack of interest. Most people I know that use XBL think graphics make the best game in the world, and don't bother to play Doom. So overall Super Nintendo was my favorite, but if Doom 64 had had Cooperative, or Deathmatch that would probably be my favorite.

Mattfrie1 said:

Also in SNES Doom, does it always look like they are shooting at you? Or do they actually go back to a normal non-shooting sprite? If it keeps the shooting sprite, it must be confusing as hell without sound effects to even hear them shooting at you. It must be even funnier if you could see from a monster view-point, lol.

I'm pretty sure that it always uses the shooting sprite. It was virtually impossible to know if you were getting the drop on someone because of that, so you usually had to assume they had seen you. The no sound effects could effect play too since you would have to pay attention to if you are taking damage from an unseen attacker.

Whoo said:

Then I've played Cooperative on the Super Nintendo once. That was a much better experience. The graphics were more original doom like, and it was a lot of fun playing with friends.

Are you sure you weren't playing the PlayStation version or something? As far as I know, there hasn't ever been a way to play co-op on the SNES version. If there's some kind of special trick involved, I'd be interested in knowing how to set it up.

I'm absolutely sure there is no co-op in the SNES version. It wouldn't be possible with the one-sided enemies either. It would look very awkward if there was, as deathmatch can be awkward as it is.

Well, here's another SNES Doom deathmatch video for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jONkFljFrck

Also, while I haven't really played much multiplayer on the Xbox 360 Doom port yet, from what little I have played of it, I think it is right up there for best console version of Doom. I really like the way it controls and the 4-player local splitscreen deathmatch and co-op is a nice feature that none of the other console ports offer as far as I know. The PlayStation version does have both Doom and Doom II in the same package though, so that's a pretty nice perk the 360 version can't claim. Who knows, hopefully they'll go ahead and put Doom II on XBL Arcade sometime soon.

From whats been said, there won't be Doom II, but Final Doom might be.