Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Wolf3D Redux (first public beta available)

I have been working on this little project which is a recreation of Wolfenstein 3D for a more modern engine (EDGE). The aim is to recreate Wolfenstein 3D as closley as possible and add improvements on top of that with resources and ideas from the many ports of the game. Some significant features:

Perfect replicas of all 60 Wolf3D levels plus Spear of Destiny. Hi-res version features hi-res walls and sprites.

All four weapons plus the flamethrower and rocket launcher. Three ammo types used.

New power-ups: Adrenalin-shot (makes you stronger and faster), map, backpack, etc.

Altered HUD displays, menus and intermission screens.

Higher quality sound effects. And lots of them.

Ambience sounds.

Over 20 re-recorded Wolf3D songs in MUS format. Hi-res version featurs music from the 3DO and Mac port in OGG Vorbis format.

Score counter which keeps track on how much loot you've collected. For every 50 picked up you recieve full health.

And much, much more. Here are some screenshots (no levels as this stage):

http://img237.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=achshot1.png

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Contributions? Or would you like to do some maps?

UPDATE 2009/05/20

New screeshots:
http://img198.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=shot08.png

UPDATE 2009/06/03

New screenshots showing off the hi-res version:
http://img99.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=w3dnew6.png

UPDATE 2009/07/07

This mod is now up on Wads In Progress, link:
http://www.wadsinprogress.info/?a=listwads&wad=1268

!!! UPDATE 2011/01/27 !!!

Since this project will probably never get finished, unless I get help, i've decided to release what I have in terms of resources.

This package contains the sprites, textures, sounds, music the lot. It features a lot of custom-made/modified sprites and textures originally left out of the 3DO and Macintosh ports of Wolfenstein 3D. A lot of the other resources have been been made available several times before, but most if not all have been modified more or less by myself specifically for this project.

I might or might not release what i've done up to this time on the project, it depends if there is any interest.

Format(s): BMP, PNG, WAV, OGG
Palette: Doom, Wolfenstein 3D (PC), Wolfenstein 3D (Mac)

download link: [/url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMCRVNNG[/url]

UPDATE: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=134BTWES

Contains more sprites, mostly decorations.

Enjoy!

Looking good so far, although I think you could go for a more modernized HUD/Weaponset (to branch off from the current crowd).

I'll help if ya need it. PM me sometime, I'm well experienced with EDGE. ^^

Chu said:

Looking good so far, although I think you could go for a more modernized HUD/Weaponset (to branch off from the current crowd).

I'll help if ya need it. PM me sometime, I'm well experienced with EDGE. ^^

I do not want a modernized HUD/Weaponset, it's fine as it is allthough some polishing and such will be done, this is meant to be an updated Wolfenstein 3D, like had in been released in 1995 or 1996.

Yeah, that sounds great, i need mappers as i am no real mapper myself. But mapping for this project would be fairly easy, there is a program that converts Wolf3d levels to Doom format but it doesn't convert any of the items so that would have to be added later among other things.

Liberation said:

Sounds intresting, what sort of maps are you thinking of doing?

64x64 square rooms just like Wolfie, but with some improvements such as Door-operated switches, lightning (as in light vs. dark), more wall and door variations and maybe hi-res wall textures. It is merley meant to be an updated version of Wolf3D.

avery1555 said:

Sorry, but this has already/being done : http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/index2.html

*sigh* Unlike Laz Rojas' WolfenDOOM (where just about everything behaved like their Doom counterparts they replaced such as the officer with a chaingun!?!) this will be completly customized to make all weapons, enemies, items, etc. look and behave as closley to their Wolfenstein 3D counterparts as EDGE allows. So there will be a big, big diffrence.

CeeJay said:

*sigh* Unlike Laz Rojas' WolfenDOOM (where just about everything behaved like their Doom counterparts they replaced such as the officer with a chaingun!?!) this will be completly customized to make all weapons, enemies, items, etc. look and behave as closley to their Wolfenstein 3D counterparts as EDGE allows. So there will be a big, big diffrence.

Ok, I look forward to seeing it.

Now before anybody says something like "What's the point? Why don't you just go play the original Wolfenstein 3D..." i would like to point out the features this will have over the original game:

* Runs under Windows
* Improved graphics (menu, HUD, intermission, etc.)
* Higher quality sound-effects and more of them
* Re-recorded songs of superior quality (over 20 of them)
* HUD weapons of higher resolution
* Two additional weapons and ammotypes
* In-game messages
* Higher screen resolution
* Smoother player movement
etc., etc., etc.

CeeJay said:

Now before anybody says something like "What's the point? Why don't you just go play the original Wolfenstein 3D..." i would like to point out the features this will have over the original game:

* Runs under Windows
* Improved graphics (menu, HUD, intermission, etc.)
* Higher quality sound-effects and more of them
* Re-recorded songs of superior quality (over 20 of them)
* HUD weapons of higher resolution
* Two additional weapons and ammotypes
* In-game messages
* Higher screen resolution
etc., etc., etc.

You can run Wolfenstein under Windows, both XP and Vista, but no one seems to be doubting this a bad idea so go ahead with it I say, im intrested.

From the thread title I had thought you've been making a version of EDGE that supports Wolfenstein 3d (and source code mods) :P Still, with perseverence and Wolf3d file format research, you may create it. No I'm not being sarcastic, but I can't help to think how interesting would a Wolfenstein 3d with OpenGL be like.

Liberation said:

intresting

Misspelling suggested for censorship =)

There are already a couple of high resolution windows compatible engines for Wolf3D.

There’s the aging NewWolf for 3d acceleration and there the very new WolfSDL, which as the name sounds, is a port of the engine to SDL (hence it can run on any os that supports SDL).

Vermil said:

There are already a couple of high resolution windows compatible engines for Wolf3D.

There’s the aging NewWolf for 3d acceleration and there the very new WolfSDL, which as the name sounds, is a port of the engine to SDL (hence it can run on any os that supports SDL).

Yeah, but it's still Wolfenstein 3D with its original graphics, sprites, sounds and same core engine y'know.

Ooh, an EDGE project. Can i Inb4 on you getting flamed by people that have drag-and-dropped it into zdoom and then complained that the doors don't work?

deathbringer said:

Ooh, an EDGE project. Can i Inb4 on you getting flamed by people that have drag-and-dropped it into zdoom and then complained that the doors don't work?

Say what???

CeeJay said:

[snip]
etc., etc., etc.

i'd be happy to play it with my normal doom setup - that is with seperate strafing keys and a mouse. iirc wolf3d didn't support strafe keys yet, only a strafe modifier, and the mouse sens was so slow i preferred playing with keyboard only.

CeeJay said:

*sigh* Unlike Laz Rojas' WolfenDOOM (where just about everything behaved like their Doom counterparts they replaced such as the officer with a chaingun!?!

They were intended to behave like default ones, as wolf3d enemies enhanced by Doom2 monsters behaviour, level, weapon features.

Laz Rojas said:

All 30 levels of the original Second Encounter have been meticulously and painstakingly recreated, complete with all the Wolfenstein textures, objects, sounds, and enemies. They've also been greatly improved to take advantage of the superior features of the DOOM engine. Elevators, stairs, dark spooky corridors, outdoor courtyards, automatic machine guns, hand grenades, fireball-shooting mutants and chaingun-packing officers are just some of the enhancements I've made to the original Wolfenstein levels.

I strongly doubt that altering the Officer to wield a Chaingun instead of a pistol was done as an "enhancement". Let's no forget back in the day, Laz still hadn't got his head around DeHacked which was pretty oblivious in some of his earlier work. Now don't get me wrong, i loved his stuff but mostly the later, such as Arctic Wolf.

Torr Samaho said:

i'd be happy to play it with my normal doom setup - that is with seperate strafing keys and a mouse. iirc wolf3d didn't support strafe keys yet, only a strafe modifier, and the mouse sens was so slow i preferred playing with keyboard only.

That list is the features over Wolfenstein 3D. You will still have your "doom setup" with strafe and mouse-support. Jumping and Mlook will be disabled though (not much point having it).

For all interested parties.

Work has come along real nicely. Thanks to AfaDoomer for compiling a special version of MapToWad (converts Wolf3D maps to Doom format) i have converted all 60 levels (6 episodes) from Wolf3D complete with textures, items, enemies, etc. Graphics, sounds and music are all of higher, smoother and crisper quality than the original. New features include breakable scenery, hi-res textures, guns eject casing and smoke, two additional weapons (flamethrower & rocket launcher), dynamic light, etc.

I will post fresh screenshots soon.

While some of that is pretty cool, like the sprites, lighting, and status bar, I have to say that I'm not all that impressed with the maps. I really think you need to do away with the 64x64x64 aspect of Wolf3D and redesign the maps to be more interesting.

Dragonsbrethren said:

While some of that is pretty cool, like the sprites, lighting, and status bar, I have to say that I'm not all that impressed with the maps. I really think you need to do away with the 64x64x64 aspect of Wolf3D and redesign the maps to be more interesting.

I kinda liked the 64x64 block aspect of Wolf3D, but the low-res weapons, low-quality sfx and the fact it doesn't run under Windows is among things that always bugged me about it. That's the goal with my project, adding improvements while keeping the original basic look and feel.

CeeJay said:

I have been working on this little project which is a recreation of Wolfenstein 3D for a more modern engine (EDGE). The aim is to recreate Wolfenstein 3D as closley as possible and add improvements on top of that. Some significant changes:

All enemies and bosses from Wolf3D and Spear of Destiny (except "Fat Face" and Angel of Death) converted and customized to look and behave like their Wolf3D counterparts.

All four weapons plus the flamethrower and rocket launcher, now with better resolution. Three ammo types used.

One new key type: bronze key.

New power-ups: Adrenalin-shot (makes you stronger and faster), various sphere power-ups, backpack, etc.

Altered HUD displays, menus and intermission screens.

Over 20 re-recorded Wolf3D songs in MIDI format (not by me).

And much, much more. Here are some screenshots (no levels yet):

http://img237.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=achshot1.png

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Contributions? Or would you like to do some maps?

Sounds like a cool Idea :P. I'll keep an eye on this post ^^.

Tekmon said:

Sounds like a cool Idea :P. I'll keep an eye on this post ^^.

See further down this thread for the new screenshots.

CeeJay said:

See further down this thread for the new screenshots.

I've already seen then ceejay :). Thanks for letting me know though ;)

Looks promising. However, one MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR thing to note if you don't want to break the gameplay of the original Wolfenstein 3D is to find a way to prevent "circle-strafing".

In the original, the only way to strafe is by a modifier key, and you can't turn simultaneously making bosses much more challenging. I had played the Wolfenstein 3D TC for ZDoom a while back and the bosses were far too easy with DOOM's movement style intact.

StoneFrog said:

Looks promising. However, one MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR thing to note if you don't want to break the gameplay of the original Wolfenstein 3D is to find a way to prevent "circle-strafing".

In the original, the only way to strafe is by a modifier key, and you can't turn simultaneously making bosses much more challenging. I had played the Wolfenstein 3D TC for ZDoom a while back and the bosses were far too easy with DOOM's movement style intact.

I'll keep that in mind, i might be able to do something about that. But i wouldn't personally consider it a "MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR" deal though.