Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Wolf3D Redux (first public beta available)

I have a suggestion if you're interested...

One thing that I'd really love in a 'new' version of Wolf3D would be to have slightly different textures on the walls leading to secret areas. In the original half the secrets have remained just so to me as I just can't be bothered to go around and hit every single section of wall in the game! I see you're using a 'batch' method to convert the levels so I'm not sure how realistic my suggestion is but as they say; "if you don't ask, you don't get!" :)

PFL said:

I have a suggestion if you're interested...

One thing that I'd really love in a 'new' version of Wolf3D would be to have slightly different textures on the walls leading to secret areas. In the original half the secrets have remained just so to me as I just can't be bothered to go around and hit every single section of wall in the game! I see you're using a 'batch' method to convert the levels so I'm not sure how realistic my suggestion is but as they say; "if you don't ask, you don't get!" :)

The textures are based on the original textures but polished up. In Wolf3D, some of the secret pushwalls WERE diffrent from the surrounding to give the player a hint. Sometimes there is some sort of hint, sometimes not. The player is not supposed to be able to find the secrets that easilly, so this will not be changed.

I am using a customized version of MapToWad to create replicas of the original Wolf3D levels.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I am completely failing to see the point in all of this. If I want an updated version of Wolf3D that runs in Windows with whatever enhancements I want, I can tinker with the compile settings in Wolf4SDL's code (which is dumbfuckingly easy to get running no matter who you are). All I have to do is, for example, go to wl_def.h and...

#define USE_THIRD_MAPPLANE_FOR_TEXTURES
#define TEXTURED_FLOORS_CEILINGS
#define PARALLAXING_SKIES
#define RAIN_AND_SNOW
#define HIRES_TEXTURES
#define LIGHT_SHADING
#define SOUND_SAMPLING_RATE 44000
etc. etc. those aren't the exact macros to define but you get the idea. All of these features being built-in to Wolf4SDL's code. Hell, it probably wouldn't be that hard to rig an OGG-player that reads from data outside the VSWAP.WL6, at that.

Fisk said:
I am completely failing to see the point in all of this.

Because he's having fun? I'm sure others will like playing it too. Can't get enough of Wolfenstein =)

Fisk said:

I am completely failing to see the point in all of this. If I want an updated version of Wolf3D that runs in Windows with whatever enhancements I want, I can tinker with the compile settings in Wolf4SDL's code (which is dumbfuckingly easy to get running no matter who you are). All I have to do is, for example, go to wl_def.h and...

#define USE_THIRD_MAPPLANE_FOR_TEXTURES
#define TEXTURED_FLOORS_CEILINGS
#define PARALLAXING_SKIES
#define RAIN_AND_SNOW
#define HIRES_TEXTURES
#define LIGHT_SHADING
#define SOUND_SAMPLING_RATE 44000
etc. etc. those aren't the exact macros to define but you get the idea. All of these features being built-in to Wolf4SDL's code. Hell, it probably wouldn't be that hard to rig an OGG-player that reads from data outside the VSWAP.WL6, at that.

Be that as it may, Wolf4SDL still has its limits. EDGE on the other hand is almost completly customized and personally i find the engine itself far better and more comfortable than Wolf4SDL.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
CeeJay said:

Wolf4SDL still has its limits. EDGE on the other hand is almost completly customiz[able]

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Anyway, uh, good luck I guess. I won't bother with downloading a third-world sourceport just for this mod though. :V

inb4 gzdoom hax to support edge ddfs

Fisk said:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Anyway, uh, good luck I guess. I won't bother with downloading a third-world sourceport just for this mod though. :V

inb4 gzdoom hax to support edge ddfs

Then don't. It's not like anybody is forcing it down your throat. If all you have to say about EDGE and this project is negative then go away.

Yeah, so the other day i had a look at this old thing that's been laying around collecting dust and thought to myself: "My God, does this need work!" So i did a little work on it, a little turned into a lot and here i present a clip to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfN_h3GPWGw

It shows off some of the unique features such as useable sinks and breakable pots that sometimes contains ammo. Also a new HUD has been made.

This doesn't mean that this project is up and running again as i still need help with the levels. A lot.

The lack of sound in my recordings still puzzles me. You won't be able to hear the crisp CD-quality orcheastrated music for instance.

edit: Ok, the sound IS there but it is extremely low for some odd reason. My internal speakers were on max when recording aswell as the volume in the game (i use external speakers so the internal ones are maxed).

This looks really cool. I encourage you to continue to work on it. I am tired of playing WolfenDoom with a shotgun that has machinegun sprites.

Can you keep getting drinks from the sinks until you are healed? That seems kinda cheap and doesn't that defeat the purpose of staying true to the original. Maybe if it were only a few times and in a separate wad than the original levels. /my opinion

kingbob said:

Can you keep getting drinks from the sinks until you are healed? That seems kinda cheap and doesn't that defeat the purpose of staying true to the original. Maybe if it were only a few times and in a separate wad than the original levels. /my opinion

At the moment, yes, but water only gives a mere 3% health and it's time consuming to stand by the sink and drink water until your health is fully restored (you have to wait for it to fill up before you can drink).

The idea is for it to stay true to the original look and feel but add additional features. Such as an more interactive emvironment. Trust me, even with the sinks, the game is still pretty darn difficult.

Looking forward to this, I've been waiting to play wolf for awhile now. Was never satisfied with the controls before.

Looks really fucking beautiful. Love the textures and sounds of wolf, can't wait to experience them with such a refined quality.

I don't mind the sinks either, I have the discipline to ignore them :)

Is the usable sinks really such a bad idea?

I thought it feelt like a good idea and added a little more to the game. Besides, like i mentioned water does not give much health compared to the first-aid kits and meals (it's meant more as an novelty than anything else).

I did at one point have ejecting casing and advanced bullet puffs for the weapons but i scrapped it because it just didn't feel/seem right to me.

But the sinks just seemed right to me. Could be wrong.

I don't think getting rid of the usable sinks is necessary, if someone doesn't like them, then they don't have to use them.

Looks great, the only thing missing is the sliding doors. Are you going to add them?

Moominaba said:

I don't think getting rid of the usable sinks is necessary, if someone doesn't like them, then they don't have to use them.

I think that they're a good idea, but they should just be limited in some way.

I also thought it was kind of odd that the puddles of water on the floor could be picked up as health. They make more sense as decorative objects.

Although I won't be using the new weapons/items either, the sink raises a particular problem. Being the type of player I am, I always maximize the usage of recurring resources, it would drastically change the game for me.

Basically, your allowing the player to abuse a "no brainer" tactic. If somebody is playing to win, chances are they are going to abuse the sink. I'd call it akin to grinding, or just plain munchkin.

Ultimately, if the player is aware of their own tendencies, they can just forgo use of the sinks altogether. Despite the difficulty this poses for most newbies, fuck them, they have to learn someday.

If I were to make a request, I'd ask for options to disable/enable these features. Also if you could make the placement of the powerups/backpack avoidable, would be the single thing I'd need at all. But wouldn't even a dehack patch fix anything I might have a problem with?

My apologies if I come off a little wanton, your work is truly a high point of the year for me.

//would it be possible to play other wolf maps using your work?

Ok where do i begin.

Firstly, there might be a limit for how many times the player can use the sink, have not decided yet. And BTW, the sink is pretty rare in Wolfenstein 3D apart from the particular level i choose for the recording. And that is only the second level of the first episode. Belive me, i have played through the episodes countless times without cheating and even with the additional health resources it is still difficult.

Secondary: The puddles seem/look odd because they disappar after they've been "picked up", thought about it myself. Might scrap it, dunno.

Third: Yeah, i could do sliding doors but this means that i would have go through every single level and change the door attributes. Probably manually and to be honest i'm not sure how to do this as i am not really a mapper (levels were made using a customized converter program).

Fourth: The idea is to include the two additional weapons from the ports (Flamethrower & Rocket Launcher) along with their ammo and the backpack. That along with the 128x128 sprites and textures is kind of the whole point with this mod. Combining the port versions of Wolfenstein 3D with the full 60 levels from the original along with the 21 levels from Spear of Destiny with additional features.

And lastly, what other levels would you want to play with this? There is 81 levels in there total, dude. I was thinking of also porting some of the more known custom mods from the Wolf3D universe but i have a hard time finishing this as it is. Like mentioned, i do need help.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I frankly don't think the original DOS Wolf3D enemy sprites would look very good when coupled with the high-res textures from Mac Wolf3D. That being said, AFADoomer's project in this vain for ZDoom has been around this stretch of road before and has done quite well to capture the feel of Wolfenstein 3D. And not to mention it's a great base for a Wolfenstein-themed mod which could give more of the feeling you're going for, i.e. an updated version of Wolf if it had come out a year or three later.

I'm sorry, but i ain't using the original 64x64 enemy sprites escpecially not mixed with 128x128 graphics. Everything is hi-res. Where did you get that from?

CeeJay said:

And lastly, what other levels would you want to play with this? There is 81 levels in there total, dude. I was thinking of also porting some of the more known custom mods from the Wolf3D universe but i have a hard time finishing this as it is. Like mentioned, i do need help.

How about those? :p

Guest DILDOMASTER666
CeeJay said:

I'm sorry, but i ain't using the original 64x64 enemy sprites escpecially not mixed with 128x128 graphics. Everything is hi-res. Where did you get that from?

A couple of screenshots I saw had the Mac knife sprites thrown in with the 64x64 enemy sprites from the DOS version; there was also talk of a high-res version being separate from an original-res version earlier in the thread unless I'm somehow misreading it.

I have to ask how you intend on working around that little gameplay difference between the PC maps, e.g. enemies moving on patrols and facing particular directions and allowing the player a little bit of stealth gameplay, and the Mac version's having only one angle for all enemies and thus pretty much destroying that.

Fisk said:

A couple of screenshots I saw had the Mac knife sprites thrown in with the 64x64 enemy sprites from the DOS version; there was also talk of a high-res version being separate from an original-res version earlier in the thread unless I'm somehow misreading it.

I have to ask how you intend on working around that little gameplay difference between the PC maps, e.g. enemies moving on patrols and facing particular directions and allowing the player a little bit of stealth gameplay, and the Mac version's having only one angle for all enemies and thus pretty much destroying that.

Yeah, the project has come quite a long way. There are no longer two seprate versions being made side by side as it is just too much work and because of that other wonderful recreation of original Wolf3D for (G)Zdoom. It's all 128x128, crisp SFX and CD-quality music to keep it fresh. The whole gameplay diffrence you speak of is really not such a big thing. Some enemies do wander around until they hear or see you, but not like in Wolf3D and it doesn't effect gameplay much at all anyways. I was kind of hoping that someone would want to do the missing rotations but that is asking a lot.

kingbob said:

Any progress?

Some, but not a lot. It's coming along at a snails pace, but to be honest i believe the thing is almost presantable now.

!!! UPDATE 2011/01/27 !!!

Since this project will probably never get finished, unless I get help, i've decided to release what I have in terms of resources.

This package contains the sprites, textures, sounds, music the lot. It features a lot of custom-made/modified sprites and textures originally left out of the 3DO and Macintosh ports of Wolfenstein 3D. A lot of the other resources have been been made available several times before, but most if not all have been modified more or less by myself specifically for this project.

I might or might not release what i've done up to this time on the project, it depends if there is any interest.

Format(s): BMP, PNG, WAV, OGG
Palette: Doom, Wolfenstein 3D (PC), Wolfenstein 3D (Mac)

download link: [/url]http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMCRVNNG[/url]

UPDATE: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=134BTWES

Contains more sprites, mostly decorations.

Enjoy!

Most of the Jag Wolf3D sounds are the same as those of the SNES version. The only difference is the sight sounds of non-boss foes and the locked door sounds.

Well i would still love to get my hands on those in any case. The 3DO and Mac ports shared the same sound (mostly) though.