Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhilibusMo

Problem using decorate.

I have been working on a WAD and I needed a new theing in the map, a car. Having created the sprites and loaded them onto XWE (called CLIOA1 through to CLIOA8) I am having trouble creating the decorate script so that it will appear in the editor and thus levle. (I am using Doombuilder 1 if that makes any difference). I have used decorate before to make a Chainsaw zombie, but that was quite a while ago and I have since mostly forgotten how to use it so sorry if this seems noobish. Here is the code I have used:

actor Clio 486
{
spawnid 972
height 80
radius 100
spawnid 972
+SOLID
mass 99999
states
{
SPAWN:
CLIO A
loop
}
}

I know there is almost *******ly something very wrong with it, but I really can't work out what, and before anyone links it, I have checked the zdoom wiki many times. And the number after 'actor Clio' is a random number as I'm not entirely sure what it is used for. Also I am creating an object with 8 sprites so that it can be viewed from different angels and the height and radius are not finalized yet.
Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

Try

actor Clio 486
{
spawnid 972
height 80
radius 100
spawnid 972
+SOLID
mass 99999
states
{
SPAWN:
CLIO A -1
loop
}
}

You forgot to specify a state duration.

Yeah, you can as well just remove the spawnid line anyway since they are of rather limited use.

It's still not showing up anywhere; this is what I now have

actor Clio 486
{
height 80
radius 100
+SOLID
mass 99999
states
{
SPAWN:
CLIO A -1
loop
}
}

Its not showing up on Doombuilder (map format Doom2 if that makes any difference) and consequently not in the game. On the things menu there is a section called decorate but all it contains is a thing called Knuckle which has no properties or sprites, and consequently doesn't exist in game.

actor Clio 486
{
height 80
radius 100
+SOLID
mass 99999
states
{
SPAWN:
CLIO A -1
stop
}
}

will it only appear in doom builder if i have the map settings on a zdoom configuration, because at the moment i just have the map compatable with vanilla doom 2 as that's how i like to work, keep it simple.

It might be possible that DB simply does not bother parsing DECORATE lumps if you're using a Doom2.exe configuration.

Just set manually a thing's doomednum to 486 (I know DB1 and DB2 both let you do that, even if they call it an unknown thing) and test the map. If your actor appears, then it's strictly a DB configuration issue.

There is a ZDoom Doom-in-Doom configuration available.

Gez said:

It might be possible that DB simply does not bother parsing DECORATE lumps if you're using a Doom2.exe configuration.

Just set manually a thing's doomednum to 486 (I know DB1 and DB2 both let you do that, even if they call it an unknown thing) and test the map. If your actor appears, then it's strictly a DB configuration issue.

There is a ZDoom Doom-in-Doom configuration available.

yh that was the problem, I've now tested it and it works, although the sprites could do with a little work, but obviously thats a completely different problem that i shall sort myself. Thankyou all.