Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Running out of water

Erm, when I click that link I get a video on fossils found in Argentina, and none of the related science viedos seem to have anything to do with water o_O

Kirby said:

Erm, when I click that link I get a video on fossils found in Argentina, and none of the related science viedos seem to have anything to do with water o_O

yeah, i realized that, i'm trying to fix it. the video beneath the argentina one "assignment earth" is the one i wanted it to link to. That talks about water use and its consequences.

Hellbent said:
That talks about water use and its consequences.

No, it's talking about increasing temperature and its effect on water supplies.

reason i posted it is water cycle means you can never run out of water. But I guess the point of the video is that you have a less ideal distribution of water around the planet making arid climates having an increasingly difficult time getting water.

In fact, one of the problems may be rising sea levels. Ice caps melt, land gets generally drier and the sea rises.

magicsofa said:

What if everyone took a shower at the same time?

That's actually a good question. I believe our water system is built on the assumption that everybody won't do that. I'm not entirely sure what would happen if everybody took a shower or flushed a toilet at the same time.

The good news is - we're not about to run out of water.

The bad news is - 97% of it is salty and 2/3 of the fresh water is locked up in glaciers and polar ice caps. 99% of the remainder is above our heads or below our feet and we're not doing a great job of managing what little's left over.

(image looks best against a white background)

Why aren't desalination plants used more often anyways? Couldn't you sell the 'sea salt' to recover some of the costs of running it?

Not sure. I know they're used extensively in the Middle-East. The whole area is a desert, yet they never have drought problems there.

we also need a smog vacuum installed above LA and Mexico City and other places. Who's on that project, honestly?

doom2day said:

Why aren't desalination plants used more often anyways? Couldn't you sell the 'sea salt' to recover some of the costs of running it?

Desalinized water is not economically viable outside of major coastal cities. The water must be processed right where the ocean is and the transportation costs would be too great. Even for the coastal cities, it's a process that uses a lot of energy and is therefore more expensive than treating fresh water, and will probably be more expensive in the future. That's why cities like Dubai are the primary users.

Also, the concentrated salt-water you get from the desalination process is a waste product and basically of no value to anyone. Disposing of it can be a significant problem.

magicsofa said:

What if everyone took a shower at the same time?

This can be generalized.