Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 Music Recreation Project

With Doom64EX getting close to its release, I am currently seeking an alternative to using USF playback (NO MP3s) and one of those is using modtrack files for music.

I currently have all the music samples (pre-recorded unfortuently) and I am currently seeking some contributers in recreating each Doom64 soundtrack using modplug and the samples provided.

What I am currently seeking:

* Someone with strong familiarly of ModPlug Tracker or anything similar or better.
* Someone who pays strong attention to detail (that is being able to recreate the soundtrack note by note, or close to it).
* Someone who shares the same obsession with Doom64 as I do.

That pretty much sums everything up. If you're interested, download http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/18609/D64Instruments.zip and enjoy.

Also because that the samples were pre-recorded, some may not have been trimmed properly, so feel free to tweak the timing of these samples if needed.

Also, this is probably a long shot but I am also seeking those who understands VADPCM encoding since its a common format N64 uses to encode its sounds and would be helpful for extracting the sounds from the rom without having to include crappy pre-recorded sounds with Doom64EX.

Mr. Chris said:

Where might Elbryan be when you need him?

He's on youtube under account elbryan42

so what youre saying, is that you need someone to recreate the original music from doom 64 using pre recorded samples, right?

i could help. im awefully involved in music and have been for quite a while now. i have a knack for finding what goes where in a song ( i am in a band, and we cover a lot of songs.)

as for that encoding stuff you mentioned, im not familiar to it, but i could learn. i am a fast learner.

EDIT: and yes, i am a HUGE fanatic of doom 64. personally, i believe it is the best doom game ever. just because of its dark atmosphere and less cartoony sounds and sprites. i have created custom content for your doom 2 mod of dooom 64, and am in depth with the doom modding community.

meanie50 said:

i believe it is the best doom game ever. just because of its dark atmosphere and less cartoony sounds and sprites.

Curiously, I think many of the sprites are very cartoony (demon and caco in particularly) and the sounds very contrived to sound scary with their (IMO) excessive echoeyness and low treble. Still a good game though and I like the ambient music.

hey kaiser, i figured out that mod tracker program, and i am working on the title map music right now. will post as soon as the song is done.

Technician said:

What's wrong with recording Doom 64's music and converting them to ogg

I was about to say this myself. If you're worried about recording fidelity, aren't you able to extract the music from the N64 ROM as per the rest of the game?

Super Jamie said:

I was about to say this myself. If you're worried about recording fidelity, aren't you able to extract the music from the N64 ROM as per the rest of the game?

It's in a nasty format.

Technician said:

What's wrong with recording Doom 64's music and converting them to ogg or flac? I don't understand why your doing this.

I am not a huge fan of bulky, clumbsy file sizes. This is why I didn't bundled the mp3 files with the actual doom64ex package.

Then covert them to MP3 at 192 bits. It's a decent file sized and a bit-rate that hasn't lost too much information. It will add a max of thirty megs.

I think you guys are failing to see the point here. The module format is almost perfect for what Kaiser's trying to do while also being many times smaller than any MP3 could possibly ever be without significant degradation in quality. With the way Doom 64's soundtrack was made, module trackers are a perfect fit.

hey kaiser, do you think you could send me the recorded versions of the songs so i could listen to them? right now im redoing the music for the title map out of memory. i have to boot up the game, and then listen to the part of the music that im working on, then exit the program, and jot down a few notes, and repeat. it kind of annoying, do you think you could help me out a little?

edit: sorry, im retarded. i forgot that elbryan provided downloads for the music on the absolution site.

kaiser, it seems there are a few instruments missing from your d64 instruments package. one is a distorted guitar, and the other one is a violin type sound.(one of the first three instruments to be heard in the beginning of the intro song)

There is no missing instruments; I was doing the same thing and I almost finished the intro music as well as the end screen one.

By the way, is there any useful infos that can be obtained from the USFs? Like which samples are used for each piece...

Anything new about VADPCM thing?

DoomKn1ght said:

Kaiser, I PMed you my try about the end and intro tracks.

Yeah I got the message. I'll check them out once I have the chance.

meanie50 said:

kaiser, it seems there are a few instruments missing from your d64 instruments package. one is a distorted guitar, and the other one is a violin type sound.(one of the first three instruments to be heard in the beginning of the intro song)

Those are actually part of the last samples that makes up the intro.