Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

Germany to ban paintball & laser tag

How about banning useless emotional knee-jerk reactions by hysterical people instead?

I don't get it, where the people in Winnenden killed with paintball guns?

This is stupid - how long before they start banning stuff like Virtua Cop arcade machines and shutting down online servers for FPS games?

It's election/campaigning in Germany and this is just political posturing. They are trying to get votes based off fear from a school shooting, which is rather pathetic. The bill will likely be overruled by the federal court in a few months, this isn't the first time such nonsense has been tried.

(not German, just what I've heard)

Indeed not, they stopped a laser tag site from opening in 1994. I know modern history isn't on their side, but that's in the past and not in the present.

Laser tag doesn't even resemble real warfare like paintball does to a degree, it's much closer to an FPS game. Unless they're referring to the outdoor variety (which does resemble paintball) but even so...it's no more to blame for any act of violence than Doom is. Or violent films. Or urban music. Or toy guns/action figures. Or any activity that involves shooting at something or pits people against each other where the aim is to kill or destroy something that the other team has.

Or...let's ban everything like in Demolition Man and force every hobby underground, leading to tons of unenforcable "crimes" which dilute police resources and allow the real crimes (including violence ofc) to prosper even more.

Scet said:

It's election/campaigning in Germany and this is just political posturing.

Exactly, and I really hope it's just that. It's not the first crazy news, but they come and go anyway.

@Espi: any good news? :)

Looks like they're turning back into Nazis slowly with their heavy-hand tactics. What are they gonna do when some crazy person murders several people with his bare hands?

Yet they call us (the USA) prude because we don't show titties on TV..

Go ahead and make yourself look like the laughing stock of the EU.

Mr. Chris said:

Looks like they're turning back into Nazis slowly with their heavy-hand tactics. What are they gonna do when some crazy person murders several people with his bare hands?

Yet they call us (the USA) prude because we don't show titties on TV..

The interesting thing about all of this is that their deathly fear of violence and other issues like racial intolerance is caused by a fear of turning back into Nazis. It's difficult because, while I can see where they're coming from with it all, things like this as well as their laws concerning any sort of Nazi iconography are themselves restrictions on personal freedoms, which some would say is pretty Nazi-like in itself. I personally think this is just a severe overreaction, but unfortunately for whatever reason a lot of people in pretty much any country seem to respond well to their governments overreacting to things. It's similar to how news networks and the like get more viewers when they blow stuff out of proportion, except in this case the people doing the proportion-blowing have the power to actually make laws, which is worrisome. Well, just as long as it really is only posturing...

Mr. Chris said:

Go ahead and make yourself look like the laughing stock of the EU.

indeed i'm more and more ashamed by these hysterical morons scapegoating gamers for their own failure.

StupidBunny said:
It's difficult because, while I can see where they're coming from with it all, things like this as well as their laws concerning any sort of Nazi iconography are themselves restrictions on personal freedoms, which some would say is pretty Nazi-like in itself.

Not Nazi as in racial discrimination and invading neighboring countries. I'm not condoning this proposal, but just because the Nazis did something, it doesn't make it wrong.

I'd also say there's something ideological in gun games (even in DOOM, if you ask me), which makes such reactions somewhat more understandable.

It's not paintball that killed those kids, it's definitely doom.

Mr. Chris said:

Looks like they're turning back into Nazis slowly with their heavy-hand tactics.

The Nazi actually considerably relaxed gun control laws when they were in power. Right before WW2, only the Jews were still subject to firearm ownership regulations; everyone else was quite encouraged to get some guns.

Scet said:

It's election/campaigning in Germany and this is just political posturing. They are trying to get votes based off fear from a school shooting, which is rather pathetic. The bill will likely be overruled by the federal court in a few months, this isn't the first time such nonsense has been tried.

How true. And you can be sure if this indeed becomes law it will be challenged.

It's really disturbing how some self-declared anti-fascist politicians quickly resort to fascist policies when they think it serves their purpose.

Unfortunately the above could be said for practically every (supposedly) democratic leadership on Earth. I can quite understand the view many middle eastern politicians have on western democracy...

Scet said:

The same thing happens here in America, which I'm sure everyone already knows. Many if not most politicians are out to get into office and reap the benefits from it. They'll say anything, promise anything, "get tough" on whatever ill is the flavor of the month in society and once they're elected, very little actually changes.

Of course, I'm skeptical of politics and governmental matters in general. :V

Yeah, like a hardcore skinhead or hooligan needed paintballs and laser tags to be violent. AFAIK, they are perfectly happy with knuckle dusters, nightsticks and Doc Martens :-p

Oh and some booze and Oi! songs. So probably they should ban those too.

Espi said:

How about banning useless emotional knee-jerk reactions by hysterical people instead?

Woah, don't you think that perhaps you're overreacting?

Graf Zahl said:

It's really disturbing how some self-declared anti-fascist politicians quickly resort to fascist policies when they think it serves their purpose.

It is because "Anti-Fascist Politicians" is a oxymoron because Politicians are basically nothing than representatives for the wealthy elite not the people.

Espi said:

Oh, if only.

If anyone ever qualified for a visit from Dr. Betruger and the gang, it is surely these people.

It's like when they banned replica BB guns here last year... a replica BB gun DOES NOT FUCKING KILL PEOPLE.

Spend the money on police to get the people smuggling in the real guns and shoot THEM in the fucking nads.

Honestly, it does my head in. This country is run by complete fucking morons claiming expenses that I pay for through my taxes to be fucking morons.

pritch said:

Honestly, it does my head in. This country is run by complete fucking morons claiming expenses that I pay for through my taxes to be fucking morons.

Abuse of power is human nature.

Nice to see you back though, how's things going?

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Abuse of power is human nature.

Nice to see you back though, how's things going?

Back? I didn't go anywhere! Well, except I got old and got a career and spend most of my day working these days...

I'm on #zdoom often though.