Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

What Is Your Favorite Total Conversion

Doom 3. :P

...Or possibly Aliens TC. I have always had a soft spot for that TC.

Aliens is pretty good. Considering the majority of it was made before Doom 2 even came out, and the graphics do look quite good, it's an almost professional-level project.

Most others I've played look really amateur, don't provide a cohesive and immersive experience, or change Doom into the kind of game I'm not really interested in.

My vote's with Absolution, and by extension, Doom64 EX. Kaiser's dedication to reproducing the N64 port near perfectly is amazing. I enjoy it more than playing the actual cart on my N64.

With no doubt, HacX.

In terms of quality and originality plus these weapons and monsters (chinese cyborg girl wtf), also well done with idea of hacking (psychedelic VR levels). Although last levels may be short but this is because intensity and different monster than Doom 2. This TC has been also little predictive to many later modern games like Quake 2, UT and some of sf, cyberpunk, future modern etc.

lupinx-Kassman said:

Massmouth 2 and Batman Doom are probably my favorites. Action Doom 2 was pretty swell as well.

Ditto. :)
However I haven't played that much of Batman Doom, I guess I should.

Honestly, though, I'm not sure there's really a logic behind "Action Doom 2 is a TC, Heretic isn't" -- Heretic looks and plays much more like a TC of Doom than Urban Brawl does. I think AD2 can truly be considered as a complete and independent game rather than just a mod. (And you actually can use it as an IWAD.)

GBT3 said:

HacX.

If Heretic doesn't count then this

Hacx is terrible. It starts out with some decent levels... then falls apart. For all the creativity used to make the uzi, the rest of the guns are huge disapintments. The BFG is just a BFG that shoots canisters and the shotguns are just shotguns.

Scuba Steve said:

Hacx is terrible. It starts out with some decent levels... then falls apart. For all the creativity used to make the uzi, the rest of the guns are huge disapintments. The BFG is just a BFG that shoots canisters and the shotguns are just shotguns.

Woa, you like took the words right out of my mouth. But don't forget that HacX is OLD and apparently wasn't finished. But i agree that the weapons were a disapointment, they looked great and all but they were just the Doom weapons disguised as new ones. The only real diffrence were the rate of fire. Also i found a lot of the enemies rather bland and boring and some with terrible animation. The idea was great, it was executed pretty well but could have been so much better had it been worked on more.

Scuba Steve said:

people should just stay away from doom wad staition most of the crap there is broken and bows wrapped around crap

trooper077 said:

people should just stay away from doom wad staition most of the crap there is broken and bows wrapped around crap

You mean DOOM Wad Station. And just what the heck does Hacx have to with Doom Wad Station other than currently being hosted there? There are a lot of crap over there but also a lot of good things. Like, i don't know, backup of the idgames archive.

Batman Doom was extremely well done.

But STRAIN stands heads and shoulders above anything else for playability imho. Although it's more of a partial conversion to be honest.