Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

What Is Your Favorite Total Conversion

He probably played Hacx with wrong or broken .deh file. Or not vanilla compatible sourceport. Because most of things are different. Also there's no splash damage immunity of player nor monsters. Only 2 spriteless revenants on map 10 "looks" stupid. First one as ghost in corridor and second one as invisible homing missile spawner. Rather mistake than intentional but nice surprise.

GBT3 said:

He probably played Hacx with wrong or broken .deh file. Or not vanilla compatible sourceport. Because most of things are different.

He didn't say the Enemies were the same, but let's be honest, the weapons, while relatively well-disguised, are almost exactly the same as the Doom Weapons. Except, as mentioned, the Uzi.

If we talking about partial TC... Obituary. Less popular than Strain but good enough.

GBT3 said:

If we talking about partial TC... Obituary. Less popular than Strain but good enough.

Yeah, i remeber Obituary being freakin' awesome back in the day. It is also signficant as being the last release by The Innocent Crew (TiC). Wonder what else they would have come up if they didn't split up.

Foreverhood (What the fanboy I am)
Action Doom 2 (Only wad I ever played from start to finish)
Duke TC (I usually hate TCs based off other games but from what I had the chance to play it was pretty damn fun)

I don't think it's really fair to consider TCs made for vanilla and basic sourceports in the same category as TCs made for ZDoom and other advanced sourceports, as the former is a tricky process of creatively abusing Doom's original limited featureset to achieve something new, whereas the latter is more like developing an entirely new game using a sourceport as a base.

With that said,

Favorite "classic" TC: Batman Doom. Incredible usage of dehacked and clever mapping tricks to do lots of things that had never been seen before in other vanilla Doom mods, tons of new artwork, etc.

Favorite "modern" TC: Action Doom 2. This and Foreverhood are the two main reasons why I'd consider modern sourceport-based TCs in a separate category, because they really are completely separate games! Both are impressive as hell, though I have to say AD2 is my favorite between the two.

pizzabob18 said:

Super sonic doom

Oh that was a good one too, never finished it because of some kind of bug in zdoom at the time...

For modern port TCs I really have to say Phocas Island 2. Because of it's game play. But super honorary mention to both Ashun Dewms and Zan Zan.
Foreverhood was very appealing, but IMO it had zero playability.
There was a new Aliens TC too on WIP that was very appealing. But all the story text was in Spanish or something, and the pickups didn't work.. Only a demo too.

As for old TCs it's between Aliens TC and Batman Doom.
I gotta say Aliens TC, cause I've played that through so many more times.
Hacx was wayyy too uneven to be named best.

Patrick Pineda said:

Why hasn't Cold as Hell been mentioned?

I'd consider that a partial conversion really.

Hell 2 Pay, Perdition's Gate (thought they're more partial-total conversions)

Aliens Doom, Hacx, Doom Must Fall 2097 (the full episode replacement, not just e2m8), Foreverhood, Action Doom, Action Doom 2, Batman Doom, Zan Zan

Since when was there a Duke mod

Zen Dynamics is on top for me, no doubt. I shall have to investigate others when I get the chance :P

It might possibly be tied with Action Doom 2, but I guess we shall see :)

Although this new one i found ( PsychoPhobia ) is pretty fun besides the fact that if you don't know how to install it your fucked,plusit takes up a shitload of data but if you overlook those you'll find yourself on this TC for hours labratory ispretty fun to pin monster againest or yourself

Gez said:

Heretic.

Definitely. And I'm going to ignore the "ololololol it's a commercial game" statement. It can be treated as both a TC and a game its own in my mind, and it excels as both.

I agree Heretic can be taken as a TC. It clearly uses DOOM as a base in engine, game structure and even the functions of many basic items or actors.

My favorite, if I have to choose, is Aliens TC. Fisher really managed something legendary by doing that back in the day.

[QUOTE]myk said:
[B]I agree Heretic can be taken as a TC. It clearly uses DOOM as a base in engine, game structure and even the functions of many basic items or actors.

yes but by saying this you are also saying,strife and hexen are TC's for they both use the doom engine

trooper077 said:

yes but by saying this you are also saying,strife and hexen are TC's for they both use the doom engine

Hexen and Strife changed much more of the engine, what with scripting (ACS for one, dialogue for the other), and of the whole feel of the game as well. When you play through Heretic, you can feel like you're playing Doom -- everything is a bit different, but still behave mostly the same. The weapons are very close to Doom's, and the local BFG (firemace) behaves like the press release BFG (a flood of bouncing balls). Sabreclaws are Demons, Disciples are Cacodemons, and so on. The analogies are not perfect, but they're here, mostly.

Hexen's combat is much more centered on melee -- it takes forever to kill an ettin with the sapphire wand, but you can display them quickly with the fists or the mace, some weapons such as the frost shards or the serpent staff have a melee attack that's much better than their ranged attack, etc. -- so it's less run'n'gun than Doom. The level design, with its hubs and puzzles, induces a very different gameplay as well.

Here's an experiment you can do with ZDoom (maybe Eternity too?): load all the needed data (sprites, sounds, keyconf) as a PWAD to cheat the Doom or Heretic weapons into Hexen. Play a bit using the Doom arsenal to get rid of the Hexen monsters, refilling your ammo from time to time with the console. Contrast that with regular Hexen gameplay. You'll notice how much it changes everything. I don't mean the clashing themes, but the way you progress through the levels.

Same for Strife. Weapons are again very different and offer radically changed strategies compared to Doom: the phosphorous grenades can be gamebreaking, the mauler's secondary mode hurts you when you use it (but it's so awesome), the Sigil is entirely fueled by your health, the poison bolts are insta-kill stealth weapons, etc. Then there's the dialog with NPCs, the quests with branching paths, the barter system...

In short, Heretic and Chex Quest both remain very close to Doom in the technical aspects of gameplay, while Hexen and Strife diverge quite a bit.