Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DannyK

Extract music from a wad file (to be playable on a media player)

There are some custom wad files I play on skulltag and I think the music is really good in them and I was wondering if I could play the music outside the game. Is there a way I can extract the music from a wad file to maybe a midi or an mp3? Thanks

You can use SlumpEd or XWE to extract the music lumps and - depending on the format, some might already be mp3's - use mus2midi.exe if neccessary then convert to mp3 using this online converter or the software of your choice.

If you can't readily identify the music lumps - check the MAPINFO lump, they'll most likely be listed there.

For most music formats used by the various Doom engines, all you should ever need to play those is something like Winamp. The only exception would be .mus files, but as mentioned, mus2midi.exe can help out there fairly well.

EarthQuake said:

For most music formats used by the various Doom engines, all you should ever need to play those is something like Winamp. The only exception would be .mus files, but as mentioned, mus2midi.exe can help out there fairly well.

There's a Winamp plugin to play them without conversion, I believe.

Edit: Ugh, bad link. I think Winamp can play this file already, though.