Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spaztacus

Rising stair in Doom 2

Ok, I feel really dumb asking this, but I cannot for the life of me remember how to make stairs raise in Doom2. I am not using any ports (although I am testing in Z-Doom). I am using Doombuilder's Doom2 mode.

I have a stair case that I would like to rise. It is next to a raised floor and a floor that I do not want to raise. Right now all of the line-defs for the stairs are facing foward (i.e towards where the player would walk up the stairs).

Can someone please help me with this brain freeze?

Start by selecting one of the four stair actions for a linedef (For example "S1 Raise stairs by 8"). S1 means switch that can be pressed once. W1 is for lines that trigger when you walk over them. Then select a sector tag. Make sure you tag your stair sectors with the exact same number.

The sector you want should be the very first step of the stairbuilding sectors and I think the area you want it to stop has to have the linedef facing the opposite the way the rest of the stairs are facing.

spaztacus said:

Still not working right. Can anyone think of which levels in Doom 2 have rising stairs?

MAP15 has one at the center, iIrc. The tags on the higher steps have no meaning for the Doom engine. They are there due to the way IDBSP works.

Why specifically in Doom 2? Don't have Doom (1)? You can still look at E1M8 from the shareware version.

All the steps need to have the same flat texture or it won't work. The linedefs on the sides of the steps need to face outwards and the linedef on the higher step should point towards the lower one.

Example

The cyan and green sectors are the bottom steps (ignore the two sectors closest to the middle) and they both rise towards the edges of the pic.

Thanks everyone. I dont know why I could not remember how to do this. I used to do it all the time. I guess working with Z-Doom has taken over my brain. lol

I didn't want to look at Doom 1 becuase I tired the way the stairs were set up in E2M1 and that didn't seem to work, so I thought it might have been a difference in D1 and D2.

Thanks everyone

spaztacus said:

I thought it might have been a difference in D1 and D2.

The engine is exactly the same. I remember putting both Dooms in the same folder, starting doom.exe (not doom2.exe) and getting Doom 2 instead, because doom2.wad had priority over doom.wad.