Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

What Music Do You Listen To While Playing Doom?

Miles Davis, Ian Dury, Men Without Hats, and the soundtrack from The Godfather. (No, really.)

Coldplay,The lonely island,Thumpmonk,Sonic Clang,Queen,Kings Of Leon Then two newest james bond songs and the street fighter 4 soundtrack

I have switching between Dimaension X's Doom 2 Variations music WAD I put together from his songs and between another PWAD I constructed of Doom 64 and PSX Doom/Final Doom songs.

trooper077 said:

Coldplay

Why?? Pop rock doesn't fit very well with Doom.

Everything.

I'll listen to any genre of music, and I also like the in-game music, although I'll turn off really annoying midis sometimes...

EDIT: And to reply to previous post, I think coldplay is great to listen to playing doom, specifically their first album Parachutes. It's actually a lot more atmospheric, moody, and/or psychedelic than "pop rock."

Something funny that has happened to me is making an association between doom and certain music. I once played through a megawad...I believe called caves of doom or destiny or what have you, while listening to linkin park's* first album. Anytime I hear that album, I get the image of doom levels in my head.

*They suck

Whatever midis are included. I don't want to ruin the intended atmosphere by playing something else.

destx said:

The game has music in it already, you know.

Really?

Anyway, I mostly listen to these bands in order of priority for Doom
1. Cursed
2. Wathcmaker
3. The Swarm
4. Left For Dead
5. Trash Talk
6. Dragbody
7. Enemy Soil
8. Aus Rotten
9. Disrupt
10. Trap Them
11. Extreme Noise Terror
12. Combatwoundedveteran
13. HeWhoCorrupts

magicsofa said:

Something funny that has happened to me is making an association between doom and certain music. I once played through a megawad...I believe called caves of doom or destiny or what have you, while listening to linkin park's* first album. Anytime I hear that album, I get the image of doom levels in my head.

I get that too. It's like a musical association with doom maps. Typically I play maps that would otherwise be forgettable, such as some of Chris Klie's maps for the Lost Episode Of Doom, but at the time I played it for the first time I was listening to The Rotters, and now whenever I even think about the Rotters I picture the starting room of E1M2 every time.

Usually for the levels with stock midis, I use Aubrey Hodge's music fromPSX Doom/Final/64, I can hardly tolerate some midis that I've heard thousands of times, especially D_RUNNIN.

Heh, my father once told us he felt like an old fart because he started humming along to the muzac in a department store. I've done the same with D_RUNNIN...I guess that just makes me feel like a nerd though.

Mostly Disturbed, but there's a song or two from other bands Killswitch Engage has a pretty good song, Static X has some good ones.

Basically metal stuff.

it kind of depends on my mood though. if I'm pissed I'll put one some metal, otherwise I'll listen to more relaxing things like Boston, Queen, Asher Roth has a pretty nice song called "I Love College" that is pretty relaxing. It's about college...and drinking...and weed...

I listen to whatever. If I really want to get in the mood, Sigur Ros is good.

The Mission soundtrack fit really well for Quake I, even better than the original music. That game was dripping with atmosphere when played to The Mission!

I listen to the maps actual music. I feel playing any music over it would most likely ruin the atmosphere of the map for me.

I listen to whatever I feel like. Usually, Iced Earth, or some form of thrash or death metal. However, lately it's been Type O Negative's "Bloody Kiss" and "October Rust".

destx said:

Yup yup yup. :)

And Coldplay have to be the most bland, weak-assed, feeble, inane pieces of dung to grace the music scene for years. They should be banned from the airwaves when there is even the slightest risk that people might be driving or operating machinery in case they are sent to sleep by the dull, featureless, forgettable, insipid dirge coming from Chris Martin and his soporific buddies. They are the beige of music. They are pale, oh so pale, inferior imitations of the bands that, apparently, inspired them. Quite why they felt the need to insult their inspirations by making such nauseatingly characterless imitations of their work is anyone's guess. Coldplay are the kind of band you could expect to go round to your mum's, or even granny's house and have her put on some Coldplay to prove how "trendy" she is. They are about as "indie" or "alternative" as 2.4 children, a black labrador and a mortgage. I mean, seriously, they're shit. In fact, calling them shit is an insult to faeces. At least scat has some character.

I almost feel sullied to visit a forum where someone says that Coldplay are good. I mean, I just don't understand... How could you?

Ask me about Coldplay. :P

Your title would get cluttered.

Why ask you about Coldplay when the logical response would be loud Coldplay music for you to hear? :P

[have only knowingly heard one Coldplay song my entire life... and that one was okay compared to other songs on the tv channel]

For Doom I'd listen to IronMaiden or IronMaiden midis. Best game needs best heavy-metal.

Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
Diabolic - Supreme Evil
Timeghoul - Tumultous Travellings

actuallt quite seldom I listen to something else.

Mainly because I just discovered those albums at the time I started playing Doom (again), so I get all these good memories/nostalgia.

Also, when I listen to those albums while NOT playing Doom, I think of Doom haha

Enjay said:

Un-nice things about Coldplay

I agree. :) Thank you. Moving on...

I almost always listen to the music Doom comes with, since I tend to like it. However, the other day, I was listening to Meddle (Pink Floyd) while playing, and not surprisingly I discovered that the atmosphere of the music and the atmosphere of the game were rather different. It was interesting, but it didn't really work...

Also, I once played a level with Moskau by Dschingis Khan in the background, which was amusing.

Enjay said:

And Coldplay have to be the most bland, weak-assed, feeble, inane pieces of dung to grace the music scene for years. They should be banned from the airwaves when there is even the slightest risk that people might be driving or operating machinery in case they are sent to sleep by the dull, featureless, forgettable, insipid dirge coming from Chris Martin and his soporific buddies. They are the beige of music. They are pale, oh so pale, inferior imitations of the bands that, apparently, inspired them. Quite why they felt the need to insult their inspirations by making such nauseatingly characterless imitations of their work is anyone's guess. Coldplay are the kind of band you could expect to go round to your mum's, or even granny's house and have her put on some Coldplay to prove how "trendy" she is. They are about as "indie" or "alternative" as 2.4 children, a black labrador and a mortgage. I mean, seriously, they're shit. In fact, calling them shit is an insult to faeces. At least scat has some character.

I almost feel sullied to visit a forum where someone says that Coldplay are good. I mean, I just don't understand... How could you?

...Thanks for that ad hominem argument. I'll really take that into account next time I enjoy listening to them.

I have MUSICAL reasons for enjoying MUSIC. Your reasons seem to...contain nothing pertaining to music. Why is it characterless? Because it's just shit? Good hard logic there.

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that the only reason you don't like [insert music here] is because you haven't listened to it enough. Try opening your mind instead of closing it some day - you might find that things you hated before can provide new and unique pleasures.

Normal situation of corridor to hall to anything but no major fights:
Anything

When things run and start to shit bricks:
Disturbed
Serj Tankian (Just his Solo, not much a SoaD fan..)
Drowning Pool
Alice Cooper
Ozzy

That sums it up I guess.

magicsofa said:

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that the only reason you don't like [insert music here] is because you haven't listened to it enough.

On the contrary, excessive mainstream music on the public speakers is the reason Enjay got pissed off. For example I can barely hear Coldplay where I live and when I do it's actually better than the others, so I'm not pissed.

magicsofa said:

...Thanks for that ad hominem argument. I'll really take that into account next time I enjoy listening to them.

No problem. Glad to have helped. ;)

magicsofa said:

I have MUSICAL reasons for enjoying MUSIC. Your reasons seem to...contain nothing pertaining to music. Why is it characterless? Because it's just shit? Good hard logic there.

Actually, it's the other way around. I have MUSICAL reasons for not liking them. I find their music dull and uninspired and very, very safe. It has no edge. It pushes no boundaries. I don't even find it good as "nothing-to-say" pop music. It is, in my opinion, nothing more than elevator music. As a result, I consider it shit.

magicsofa said:

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that the only reason you don't like [insert music here] is because you haven't listened to it enough. Try opening your mind instead of closing it some day - you might find that things you hated before can provide new and unique pleasures.

FWIW, I have some of the widest and most eclectic musical tastes of most of the people I know. I like examples of "popular music" from about 1954 right through to 10 minutes ago and many genres outwith those boundaries. The MP3 disk that I'm listening right now has Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimi Hendrix, Iron Maiden, CombiChrist, SYL, Metallica, the Platters, Donovan, Connie Francis, Julie London, the Beatles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Cypress Hill, Suicide Commando, Radiohead, the Beastie Boys, Utah Saints, the Pixies, The Sex Pistols, the Dead Kennedys and many more on it. I would even go as far as to class myself as a bit of a "muso" and will spend hours raking through record shops and many evenings searching out new bands or going to clubs to hear new music. Or old music for that matter. I own a couple of thousand CDs and many gigabytes of MP3s. I am rarely not listening to music unless I can't listen for some reason or another. I'm not even sure if my car works with the sound system switched off. I have never tried. ;)

I own, two Coldplay albums ("Parachutes" and "A Rush of Blood") and have listened to the rest. The closest I have come to liking one of their tracks is liking a cover of "Clocks" by Ed Alleyne-Johnson (who's work on the electric violin - recorded in a single sitting using fades and loops - is stunning IMO (check out "Purple Electric Violin Concerto" as probably his best album) and liking "Computer Love" by Kraftwerk (I'm a big fan) which was, of course, used in "Talk" and therefore made "Talk" more interesting to me. "Viva la Vida" almost sounded like it might be interesting but, after a couple of plays, it became clear that it was merely a lamb in wolf's clothing.

My opinion of Coldplay is, if nothing else, considered.

[weak attempt at on topic] However, I wouldn't usually listen to any of them whilst playing Doom as I like the original music - I feel that it goes very well with the game (especially the Doom music compared to Doom2) - almost as if it was composed for it. I also like to hear what people have used in custom WADs too. Fortunately we seem to have gone beyond the days when every WAD came out with a poorly programmed Metallica, NIN or Marilyn Manson midi file.

printz said:

On the contrary, excessive mainstream music on the public speakers is the reason Enjay got pissed off. For example I can barely hear Coldplay where I live and when I do it's actually better than the others, so I'm not pissed.

Yeah, and that. :D

destx said:

yeah i know but listening to other music helps increase your game play level??

oh and the coldplay thing there good to listen to on the rocket jump extreme maps

Enjay said:

Yup yup yup. :)

I couldn't help but draw attention to what a great post this is.