Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

What Music Do You Listen To While Playing Doom?

...as long as it sounds good and it goes with the map I'm currently playing, don't care really. As far as preferences I'd say:

-DA METALZ!! includes some of the stuff mentioned already.
-Ambience
-some Techno
-many random FPS soundtracks
-a few movie soundtracks
-and then there's The Monolith Deathcult...**

I typically listen to the ingame music. I'm actually musically retarded (name a song! I won't know it!), but there are some areas where Nightwish is appropriate.

Coil's "The Unreleased Themes For Hellraiser" album was made for Dooming.

I made a music wad featuring sega megadrive (genesis) game music, such as Flashback, Alien 3, Golden Axe, Gynoug (if anyone remembers that), Terminator and Gauntlet IV ...it's absolutely awesome.

Also I find German synth gods Tangerine Dream works really well (in a similar veing to the PSX music wad.)

More recently I tried the soundtrack from "Masters of the Universe" - the He-Man movie from the 80's, that works too, but perhaps a bit too intense!

Mr. Chris said:
I have switching between Dimaension X's Doom 2 Variations music WAD I put together from his songs...

Now THAT is hawt! Is that downloadable anywhere?

Lately these bands have been populating my in game listening:

Suffocation
Vader
Wicked Innocence
Morpheus Descends
Monstrosity

The unrelenting heaviness goes extremely well with being bombarded by endless hellspawn.

I listen to the MIDI music. Somewhat offtopic, if you do listen to the MIDI music, how do you listen to it? Timidity? The default Windows synth? OPL emulation? I have an old Soundblaster Live which has a really great MIDI synth. I wonder how many people have a soundcard that can do MIDI?

arrrgh said:

I listen to the MIDI music. Somewhat offtopic, if you do listen to the MIDI music, how do you listen to it? Timidity? The default Windows synth? OPL emulation? I have an old Soundblaster Live which has a really great MIDI synth. I wonder how many people have a soundcard that can do MIDI?

I use Microsoft GS Wavetable thingy... But I would like something to beef the MIDI up a bit and I'm not sure how to go about it.

arrrgh said:

Timidity in ZDoom, Windows synth in everything else. While my laptop's Windows synth isn't that great, I've found my desktop's to sound surprisingly good. Or then it's the headphones...either way, it doesn't sound half bad. Unlike OPL emulation which I found absolutely horrible for Doom.

arrrgh said:
I listen to the MIDI music. Somewhat offtopic, if you do listen to the MIDI music, how do you listen to it? Timidity?

In source ports, yes. Even in Boom I use the same GUS patches through Allegro (although it doesn't apply all the drum sets, I think). I also have TiMidity++ selected as the system's MIDI player. When playing with the DOS executable, I let it use the Sound Blaster 32 OPL3 chip.

I replace Doom 1 and 2's music with the MP2 versions from Doom Depot, or with PSX Doom's music. Too bad TNT doesnt have those MP2's though

Mivalekan said:

Classical.

Killing demons to Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 is remarkably satisfying. :)

Awesome! I do this sometimes as well. The contrast between violence and beauty can be rather sublime.

Mivalekan said:

Classical.

Killing demons to Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 is remarkably satisfying. :)

Doug the Eagle obviously thought the same.

Lantern Jaw said:

Also I find German synth gods Tangerine Dream works really well

Any particular albums? I can imagine the first one (Electronic Meditation) would be good for a very hairy HR-type map...

kaplanator said:

Any particular albums? I can imagine the first one (Electronic Meditation) would be good for a very hairy HR-type map...

Zeit, Atem, Phaedra, or Rubycon for me. They sound like classical music from an alien planet.

I don't usually listen to external music when I play doom. This is especially the case if I am playing a pwad, because I think the author's choice in music plays a role in the atmosphere of the wad (unless of course it is just the default D_RUNNIN again).

Metallica- The Day That Never Comes
Foo Fighters- The Pretender
Gary Jules- Mad World
The Philip Glass Ensemble- Pruit Igoe & Prophecies

Try Those

kaplanator said:

Sorry, only just relised that someone replied to me. In answer to your question, only Phaedra and Stratosphere so far, they add great atmosphere to the game. If I'm feeling really brave I'll put Alpha Centuri on. To be honest most of the Tangerine albums I own haven't had the honor of running along side doom yet. Force Majeure is one of my faveourite albums period, so I should give that a go soon.

Cheers.

I usually just throw my entire music directory into a play list on winamp and randomize it.

Most of it is metal and hard rock. Listening to Judas Priest right now :P

TBH I've never bothered with playing some other sort of music instead of the game's music. If I'm playing a .wad that has awful music but seems worthwhile otherwise I might load some other music wad on top of it and IDMUS to something good, but that's about the extent of it.

Caramelldansen.

Truth is, unless the music annoys me, I use whatever is playing in the wad. If not, there is always idmus. Or `changemus d_rave depending on how I feel.