Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
justsomemusicguy

Using LOCKDEFS in DoomBuilder

Hey guys.

I've reached a point in the creation of my new WAD where I'm tired of those standard DOOM locks, so I've created a couple of custom locks in the LOCKDEFS lump.
Now I've never used custom keys or locks before, so I don't know how to use those locks in DoomBuilder. Can someone tell me how to?
Is there, for example, a special linedef action or something?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if any other port has lockdefs too, but I'm going to assume you're mapping for ZDoom.

You need not to use the Doom/Heretic/Strife map format, but either UDMF or the Hexen map format, so that you can specify arguments to line specials.

Then it's just a matter of giving the proper lock number (as specified in your lockdef lump) to the line specials:

13:Door_LockedRaise (tag, speed, delay, lock, lighttag)
83:ACS_LockedExecute (script, map, s_arg1, s_arg2, lock)
85:ACS_LockedExecuteDoor (script, map, s_arg1, s_arg2, lock)

13:Door_LockedRaise (tag, speed, delay, lock, lighttag)

OK thanks guys!
There's only one problem: my WAD consists solely of zDOOM maps in DOOM format, so I can't specify any arguments to the specials.
Is it impossible to use custom locks/keys in DOOM format maps? I mean, isn't there a way to edit my DOOM map in a way that I can use a custom lock?
Otherwise I guess I'll change my map format to Hexen then...

You can't specify arguments in the Doom format, so you're limited to predefined values. On the ZDoom download page, you can get zwadconv among other utilities, it'll convert your Doom-in-Doom to Doom-in-Hexen format. (I'm not sure how good Doom Builder or whatever other editor you're using is for making the conversion. Just to be safe, name the converted file a different name until you've verified that it still work as expected.)

You can't specify arguments in the Doom format, so you're limited to predefined values. On the ZDoom download page, you can get zwadconv among other utilities, it'll convert your Doom-in-Doom to Doom-in-Hexen format. (I'm not sure how good Doom Builder or whatever other editor you're using is for making the conversion. Just to be safe, name the converted file a different name until you've verified that it still work as expected.)

Thanks, that utility's just what I needed.

There's one thing kind of weird though: I've recently played the 10Sectors WAD (a great WAD IMO) and there were doors that required all keys. This is not a linedef special that can be found in DOOM format maps in DoomBuilder, and the map was created in DOOM2 format...
I know this can be accomplished by using Generalized Linedef specials but in DoomBuilder the special (ID 15311) is displayed as Normal(0), meaning it doesn't recognize the special ID.
Does this mean it CAN be done in DOOM maps? Or did they possibly convert the map to another format, and then convert it back?

Does anyone have a possible explanation for this?

P.S.: The map I'm talking about is MAP11 in 10sector.WAD

justsomemusicguy said:

Does anyone have a possible explanation for this?

Yes. It's indeed one of the generalized Boom line specials, so you have to use a Boom configuration, rather than a Doom configuration, if you want DB to identify it correctly. Note that the effect would be broken if you used vanilla Doom.

Note that this wouldn't solve your original issue since the Boom generalized specials are still limited to a restricted number of predefined combinations. But they allow you to have a door that requires a card (but not a skull), or a skull (but not a card), or to have cards-or-skulls of all three colors, all three cards, all three skulls, or to have all six keys, or to have a key, no matter what type.

See Key types for the standard key numbers, all the Boom lock specials can be mapped to one of them.

Gez explained.

Thanks for the reply.

It was my intention with the WAD I'm currently working on to create a megaWAD with no special effects like deep water, rain effects, dynamic lights etc., so it'd be just like the original DOOM.
Since custom locks can't be used in DOOM format maps, I think I'll just stick to the original locks and keys. Or I could of course replace the original keys...

Anyway, I might create a Hexen-style WAD sometime, so it's good to know how to use custom locks now.
Thanks for the help!