Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Doom Builder 2 Released

CodeImp has released a brand new version of his Doom map editor. Doom Builder 2 has many original new features, such as:

• Textured sector surfaces in 2D editing modes
  • Full support for the new UDMF map format
  • Instant visual mode that requires no nodebuilder
  • Intuitive geometry drawing across any existing geometry
  • Multi-core CPU support for faster loading and error checking
  • Plug-in support that allows programmers to write their own features
  • Multiple selections in visual mode
Doom Builder 2 requires recent hardware for optimal performance, but Doom Builder 1 is still available for download on the website for anyone with older hardware. Anyone that has been testing Doom Builder 2 through beta versions or custom builds is recommended to completely delete them from their hard disk before installing the official release.

Sweet, looks awesome! I'll have to try this on my Windows box when I get home tonight. Maybe I can finally get some of my levels finished and out the door.

Awesome, nice to see the first public release of DB2 now!

Meh, guess I'm not using it then. Seems a little odd that I can run Doom, all the Windows source ports and all the other editing utilities out there on my computer and yet can't run DB2 on Win2k. Then again, the original DB still works fine so it's no major loss.

YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I guess people can detail whore a lot easier now since you can draw through lines to make stuff, saving a lot of trouble from making individual sectors through the ones you want it to go through.

DooMAD said:

Meh, guess I'm not using it then. Seems a little odd that I can run Doom, all the Windows source ports and all the other editing utilities out there on my computer and yet can't run DB2 on Win2k. Then again, the original DB still works fine so it's no major loss.

I hope you're not implying that it's Codeimp's fault that he wanted to use a better Language and environment to code in, that MS deems not viable to port to win2K.

Been a huge fan of it since the SVN compilations that have been floating around. Gonna give this a spin. :)

Csonicgo said:

So that's Codeimp's fault that he wanted to use a better Language and environment to code in, that MS deems not usable in win2K?

I don't get this argument and why someone always flings it everytime something doesn't work on an Obsolete OS.

DB1 doesn't work on Win95, but you didn't see me complaining.

I never said it was anyone's "fault", just seems a little weird. And like I said, DB still works fine, so I'll just use that.

DooMAD said:

I never said it was anyone's "fault", just seems a little weird. And like I said, DB still works fine, so I'll just use that.

fuuuuuuuck I redid my post while you were quoting my ragepost. God dammit.

OK I just installed it and I'm VERY impressed at the flats being visible in the editor. that's a really cool feature for those that want to make sure their teleporters align, and their flat-artwork lines up as they want it.

I don't know if I can "color" individual lines for, say, keeping track of busy intersecting linedefs, but I hope there's a feature for that. :P

Mr. Chris said:

I guess people can detail whore a lot easier now since you can draw through lines to make stuff, saving a lot of trouble from making individual sectors through the ones you want it to go through.

Does that mean I have to go through a new learning curve? Sigh. Still, good news; I hope it runs on my dead-end comp...

Csonicgo said:

I don't know if I can "color" individual lines for, say, keeping track of busy intersecting linedefs, but I hope there's a feature for that. :P

Make a pluginâ„¢

Is it typical for Doom mappers to have a bunch of unfinished levels lying around on their HD?

Thanks for the kind words people! I had to do a quick patch because I discovered a bug just after release (so if you don't have version 2.0.0.1072 yet, you may want to go get that)

Necros20 said:

Is it typical for Doom mappers to have a bunch of unfinished levels lying around on their HD?

Not with Doom Builder 2, no.

Doom Builder 2 has greatly improved the quality of my sex life. Thanks CodeImp!

I would suggest doomworld starts recruiting more /newstuff reviewers ASAP... Doom Builder 2 makes DOOM mapping too damn easy.

DooMAD said:

That's the drawback of using an old OS. At some point new software will stop supporting it if it becomes too much of a hassle for the developers (which in this case is not CodeImp but Microsoft. I don't blame them for not supporting a Windows version that has basically been obsolete for 8 years.)

Or to be more direct: It's people like you who stick to their old versions of software like the world depended on it that make the lives of software developers so much harder. We always have to code fallback solutions because some people just refuse to upgrade and when we finally decide that enough is enough and drop support we get complaints. Fine - but would you be willing to pay for the added work? I think no - and upgrading would be much cheaper anyway.

liking it so far. Although there has been a bug:

This is what this portion of the level looks like in game, using zdoom 2.3.1, this is how it is supposed to look:
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doombuilder2error3.jpg
This is how it looks in 2d mode on doombuilder 2, notice how the floor texture does not appear:
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doombuilder2error2.jpg
and this is how it appears in 3d mode where the floor and cieling do not appear and some of the floor lights that had been placed in the sector have sunk down below in 3d mode where as others have stayed in their original z location:
http://img5.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doombuilder2error.jpg

Check your sector references; when a sector appears incorrectly or not at all in DB2's 3D mode, there's almost always something wrong with the sector itself, even though in some cases the bugged sector(s) will appear to be okay ingame.

After running a full check and then checking manually there is no problem with the sector, I am 99% sure that it is completely closed.

Edit: on further investigation a sector that was triggered by one of the linedefs in the buggy sector was not closed and once fixed the bug went away. Most odd.

Having seen this news, I decided to try it out on my Community Chest 4 level. My efforts were instantly stymied when I found that I could not load the level, ever, because instead, I got an "unhandled exception" error stating that "An item with the same key has already been added" with "Details" that, to me, do not remotely help in diagnosing the problem. After later testing, I found that the same error occurs if you try to edit any no-new-textures Doom 2 WAD at all with the official CC4 resource WAD, whether or not you have the P_START/P_END flag toggled. And if you try to edit any level whatsoever in Community Chest 2 and 3.

Bummer... I was looking forward to resuming work on my level with it.

EDIT (2:15 PM PDT): And before anyone asks, I can load other WADs without errors, including the IWADs, and various PWADs with new textures and flats (such as the Memento Moris, Icarus, Requiem and PL2.) Also, in the above cases, I used the Boom configuration with the Doom 2 IWAD, and I'm running it on Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Is it my system or isn't it? I have XP...

When I open a ZDoom (Heretic as Hexen) map together with a data PK3 and a data WAD (two data entries), when I enter "game configurations", the command-line tab, and expand to see the format code result, in place of "%AP" it lists two files, as normal, but instead of the data PK3, it lists the map WAD! The tested "%F" map appears as normal, a coded name in the temp folder.

printz said:

Is it my system or isn't it? I have XP...

Same on Vista. I mentioned that in the ZDoom forum thread. I worked around the issue by modifying the testing command line directly instead of relying on keywords.