Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Doom Builder 2 Released

printz said:

Is it my system or isn't it? I have XP...

When I open a ZDoom (Heretic as Hexen) map together with a data PK3 and a data WAD (two data entries), when I enter "game configurations", the command-line tab, and expand to see the format code result, in place of "%AP" it lists two files, as normal, but instead of the data PK3, it lists the map WAD! The tested "%F" map appears as normal, a coded name in the temp folder.

It is normal that it adds the map WAD that you opened, because it may contain required resources (the temp wad shown by %F does not contain resources, just the map lumps) But it is indeed an error that the PK3 file is missing. I'll have it fixed next version.

Woowoo, I'm drawing all kinds of fun shapes across existing sectors! This is great stuff, I'll definitely be spending more time mapping now.

I'm experiencing a weird problem in 2d mode. For some reason linedefs, vertexes, and things won't appear. I can see floor and ceiling textures though.

3d mode works perfectly.

Necros20 said:

Is it typical for Doom mappers to have a bunch of unfinished levels lying around on their HD?

I have ONE standalone map and one ultrawad (Co-op optimized + extra stuff id Levels of both games) sitting around collecting e-dust..

Cool! New Doombuilder. I never really used the first one. Now to install it on my shiny new Windows98!

Necros20 said:

Is it typical for Doom mappers to have a bunch of unfinished levels lying around on their HD?

I've quite a few, mostly other mappers.

What version of .NET does it use? I'm assuming 3.0 or 3.5 since the 2.0 runtime should work on 98 and 2K.

Also why make the source for DB 1 available, but not 2? Unless I missed something.

Scet said:

Also why make the source for DB 1 available, but not 2? Unless I missed something.

Because it contains secret spyware that he doesn't want you to discover!

:tinfoilhat:

I have pretty much every single map I've made or even started making since 2002 on my hard drive still. D:

Scet said:

What version of .NET does it use? I'm assuming 3.0 or 3.5 since the 2.0 runtime should work on 98 and 2K.

Get the Source from the SVN?

Awesome that was the release i looked forward the most, gonna be able to finally make map without that darn error. (seeing im using vista) now to wait the tutorial like im a nub >>

Awesome. This was released sooner than I thought it would be. Though I really wasn't keeping up with the development so I dunno why I'm surprised.

Kaiser said:

I guess I can finally start looking into writing Doom64ex plugins now..

Oh my yes.

Arch-Valentine said:

Yayyyyyyyy a Doom map maker that works on my Vista machine! Now I can make maps!

haha I'm waitin on those too. I just bide my time by randomly clicking buttons to see what they do.

Aagh, I hate these stupid msi/exe installers, esp. when they try to be smarter than me. I can has .zip?

Having been following this via SVN since the early days, I know just how much time and effort has gone into this. Codeimp deserves some major thanks for expending so much personal effort building a editor of this quality and making it free and open source. I don't think it's an exaguration to say that the existance of Doom Builder has helped keep Doom mapping as alive and active as it still is. The community owes Codeimp a big debt of gratitude for the work he's done for us for free.

And Doom Builder 2 is fantastic too, I strongly recommend everybody try it, no matter how happy you are with your current editor. The ease with which it lets you construct complex map geometry is really a revelation.

I'm pleasantly stunning with the DB2
Time to say final goodbye to WadAuthor, my alltime favorite... Sorry, man...

Why DB2 wants to install framework 3.5 here? I do have 2.0 and compiled betas worked FINE without crashes using 2.0 :/ I guess that's a drawback from having old HDDs (read: I have 347 MB of space while 3.5 requires additional 622 MB lol!)

Get yourself a harddisk not from 10 years ago :P

But that must be a mistake. The framework documentation says "Up to 500 MB of available space may be required" and that is for the whole thing (including 2.0 which 3.5 is an update for) so you really don't need that much space.

Graf Zahl said:

That's the drawback of using an old OS. At some point new software will stop supporting it if it becomes too much of a hassle for the developers (which in this case is not CodeImp but Microsoft. I don't blame them for not supporting a Windows version that has basically been obsolete for 8 years.)

Or to be more direct: It's people like you who stick to their old versions of software like the world depended on it that make the lives of software developers so much harder. We always have to code fallback solutions because some people just refuse to upgrade and when we finally decide that enough is enough and drop support we get complaints. Fine - but would you be willing to pay for the added work? I think no - and upgrading would be much cheaper anyway.

The first paragraph is fair enough, point well made, but then you start getting a little melodramatic there. It's not like I'm clinging to my precious OS like the world depended on it. It's that back in the real world, I'm not forking out £166.37 for a new OS just so I can use a Doom editor. I'm sure CodeImp takes it as a compliment that everyone's looking forward to trying out his new program and some of us are a bit disappointed that we can't.

But I can still use the old one, so it's really not that big a deal.

Couldn't it be just compiled with a compiler made for Windows 2000?
Those kind of compatibility problems are the reason I prefer open source compilers that much. They are usually ported to many different systems and still relatively small.

M$ on the other hand forces the latest OS with the latest updates (and probably the latest Internet Explorer too) to be there and is leeching gigabytes all the day until you can compile a simple "hello world" just for their latest OS. Pretty much overkill, if you ask me! I did this mistake ONCE and reinstalled my entire system afterwards. Never again, I'm cured!