Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Doom Builder 2 Released

Doom Builder 2 is so full of win, maybe even (just maybe) Sandy Petersen could make good maps with it.

YES! I have been waiting for this! But.......how different is it to make maps for Doom Builder 2 compared to Doom Builder 1? Will it take me a long time to get use to using Doom Builder 2 or will i get the hang of it in no time at all?

Also, since this is the first release i will assume there will be bugs to work on so i am not sure if it is a good idea to throw Doom Builder 1 away right away until Doom Builder 2 is in a fine working condition with no real bugs in it. Plz reply to this Code imp!!!!! :)

And oh yea......Great work and thank you for spending your time making this of us :)

LogicDeLuxe said:

Couldn't it be just compiled with a compiler made for Windows 2000?
Those kind of compatibility problems are the reason I prefer open source compilers that much. They are usually ported to many different systems and still relatively small.

I doubt it has anything to do with the C# compiler, it's the .NET 3.5 framework that limits it to >XP. There is an open source compiler/framework for .NET, Mono. If you guys want support for other operating systems then download the source, replace anything that limits it .NET 3.5 and Windows, and recompile it with Mono.

LogicDeLuxe said:

M$

Wow, a company that wants to make money! I'm shocked!

When i try to start Doom builder 2 it just it won't start. Instead i just get a message saying:

Doom Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Is anybody else getting this error?

EDIT: Ok, i just installed Doom Builder 2 on my laptop that uses Vista but now it says: Doom Builder has stopped working.

This has to be a bug in Doom Builder 2? Right?

HOLY CRAP it's finished!! I was expecting it wouldn't be done for ages still

Looks pretty cool, but I do think that it seems like the minimum system requirements are on the high side for a game that people can and do run on systems with much lower specs. I suppose that's a good reason to keep Doom Builder 1 available though. I hope this doesn't sound too negative, I really think it's a nice piece of software. Thanks for putting your time into it Codeimp.

hardcore_gamer said:

When i try to start Doom builder 2 it just it won't start. Instead i just get a message saying:

Doom Builder has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Is anybody else getting this error?

EDIT: Ok, i just installed Doom Builder 2 on my laptop that uses Vista but now it says: Doom Builder has stopped working.

This has to be a bug in Doom Builder 2? Right?

I remember installing DB1 on Vista meant that I had to install it outside of the Program Files folder, for some odd reason, though I believe that corrected a different error. Have you tried doing that?

Krispavera said:

I remember installing DB1 on Vista meant that I had to install it outside of the Program Files folder, for some odd reason, though I believe that corrected a different error. Have you tried doing that?

I will try that now.

Though i don't get it how that is suppose to fix anything sense Doom builder 1 is located in the program files and it works just fine, plus the Doom builder 2 install picked the program files location by it self.

EDIT: Nope! It did not work. This HAS to be a bug! If it is not then how does it come that this thing is not working on both my PC and my laptop and my friends PC!

hardcore_gamer said:

I will try that now.

Though i don't get it how that is suppose to fix anything sense Doom builder 1 is located in the program files and it works just fine, plus the Doom builder 2 install picked the program files location by it self.

I found it weird myself, but it was what I needed to do to get DB1 working on my Vista installation.

Krispavera said:

I found it weird myself, but it was what I needed to do to get DB1 working on my Vista installation.

Vista? I am using xp? I will try again on a laptop using vista right now.

Just wondering, when the tutorial are gonna be out, is it gonna be only witn video (just like the ''how to setup doom builder'') or will there be a written tutorial just like DB1? o.o

Ok, i just got Doom Builder 2 working on both of my laptops by installing Doom Builder 2 OUTSIDE of the "program files" folder so if you have problems just try that out as well.

BUT Doom builder 2 still won't start on my PC that uses Xp. So i assume that this is a Xp bug. Right?

Does anybody know anything that could help? I really don't like the idea of creating my maps on my laptop when i have a powerful PC with a large HD monitor attached to it!

dutch devil said:

I will stick to Doom Builder 1 until the very end of my mapping career.

Uhhhhhh, ok......why?

hardcore_gamer said:

Uhhhhhh, ok......why?

Because it's his choice and he doesn't owe you any explanation?

Use3D said:

Maybe he'd like to be nice and offer one?

Surely he knew his declaration would pose some questions. In fact, I think that may have been the reason he made it in the first place.

It works amazingly. Good work, CodeImp!

My only annoyance is that some of more mundane functions such as rotating a selection and arrows to increase/decrease sector heights by increments of 8 are gone. The customizability with hotkeys in the new Preferences window is really useful, but I do miss having buttons and menu entries for some of this stuff.

Rotation is still in. In Edit Selection mode, you can rotate, resize, and flip whatever is selected. I believe you can also hold alt for more precise rotations/resizes/movements. Either that or another modifier key, I forget which.

I think CodeImp rocks and all, and Doombuilder is great, but it still boggles my mind that Doombuilder 2 requires such relatively powerful hardware compared to the game it is editing. In fact, the requirements are close to the requirements for Doom 3.

StoneFrog said:

arrows to increase/decrease sector heights by increments of 8 are gone.

Yeah, I miss those, too, though the Ctrl+ScrollWheel thing is pretty cool.

Use3D said:

Of course it is, but damnit! I want to know!

Scet said:

I doubt it has anything to do with the C# compiler, it's the .NET 3.5 framework that limits it to >XP. There is an open source compiler/framework for .NET, Mono. If you guys want support for other operating systems then download the source, replace anything that limits it .NET 3.5 and Windows, and recompile it with Mono.

I am not sure ripping out SlimDX is as easy as it sounds.

dutch devil said:

I will stick to Doom Builder 1 until the very end of my mapping career.

I will stick to Doom Builder 1 until I get a better computer. I should have changed it earlier, as even Doom 3 custom maps run badly with it... and not being able to run a Doom?... bad status.

tatsurd-cacocaco said:

Great News! I'm looking forward to Builder 2.
Actually, Builder 1 doesn't work on Japanese windows, but Builder 2 work corectly. I'm happy now.

I use Japanese XP, DB1 works fine for me. The installer for DB2 froze up though.

hardcore_gamer said:

BUT Doom builder 2 still won't start on my PC that uses Xp. So i assume that this is a Xp bug. Right?

You've got .NET 3.5 on the XP computer, right?

hardcore_gamer said:

Uhhhhhh, ok......why?

Because I do not believe that any other map editor would make my maps any better than they allready are.

That sounds a rather odd reason to me...

I could sculpt a wax figure by hand using a toothpic, or I could use a dremel with its myriad attachements. Given I am equally competent with both tools and am able to obtain the same result with either, I could get the job done in half the time with the dremel.

Doom Builder 2 is just like Doom Builder 1, except it makes the task easier by way of its more intelligent toolset.