Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Doom Builder 2 Released

Jodwin said:

You've got .NET 3.5 on the XP computer, right?

Yes i do.

EDIT: People in Japan play Doom? They thought they mostly ignored western gaming and played nothing but the Nitendo Wii and some shitty Japanese only RPG's on there Playstations.

DaniJ said:

That sounds a rather odd reason to me...

I could sculpt a wax figure by hand using a toothpic, or I could use a dremel with its myriad attachements. Given I am equally competent with both tools and am able to obtain the same result with either, I could get the job done in half the time with the dremel.

Doom Builder 2 is just like Doom Builder 1, except it makes the task easier by way of its more intelligent toolset.

For me mapping isn't about doing it as fast as possible, I prefer doing it at an speed which I find comfortable to work with. But I can create maps with DB1 within several minutes, so I'm really not convinced that DB2 would speed things up even more.

DB1 has everything I need, so I do not feel like switching to an different editor. I've been using DB1 for about 5 years now, so its somewhat hard to switch to something else after all these years.

Heh, I can understand where you're coming from, dutch devil. I've always been kind of stubborn about map editors myself. Heck, there was a time when I stubbornly insisted on using Doomcad, of all things, and I'd probably still be using it today if it weren't for me getting a computer with Windows 98, which forced me to move on.

DoomCAD was great. Much more stable and easier to use than DEUSF. And it came with an excellent mapping tutorial.

dutch devil said:

For me mapping isn't about doing it as fast as possible, I prefer doing it at an speed which I find comfortable to work with. But I can create maps with DB1 within several minutes, so I'm really not convinced that DB2 would speed things up even more.

DB1 has everything I need, so I do not feel like switching to an different editor. I've been using DB1 for about 5 years now, so its somewhat hard to switch to something else after all these years.

Moving from Doom Builder 1 to Doom builder 2 is not hard. In fact i just downloaded the thing yesterday and i have already gotten use to use it. In fact Doom builder 2 is actually more or less exactly the same as Doom builder 1 besides a handful of very neat and useful new features. If you really know Doom builder 1 like the back of your hand like you say you do then you won't be having any problems with just picking up Doom builder 2 and starting editing and making levels in a matter of min.

DuckReconMajor said:

Maybe he'd like to be nice and offer one?

Surely he knew his declaration would pose some questions. In fact, I think that may have been the reason he made it in the first place.

I'm not using doom builder 2 either and I'm sure no one really cares why. Hats off to CodeImp and friends for providing such time and dedication to the community!

I personally really enjoy Doom builder 2 so far... it is a pleasure to use... however some things have started to bother me. The first would be how much... slower it is, especially when you have flats displayed in the map editor. I can understand why this is... extra data requires more memory and processing power ect... however the slowdown is noticeable to the point that I feel that I will only use doom builder 2 FOR NOW for only special things like tile cutting and quick sector detailing. Another thing that I have found to be a bother would be the missing increments and pre set light values, I mean I cant even press up or down to force the values to go up by 1, let alone 8, and I don't want to have to switch to 3d mode and use the mouse scroll... perhaps I'm missing something I don't know... but that would be nice if I am :P. Finally I actually really really don't like how the "STITCH VERTICES and SPLIT LINEDEF range has been taken out of user control in the menu contexts. I have not checked any configuration files or anything, but should I really have to do that? Oh well... just my problems that I have been having with the editor. Don't get me wrong though, the editor is fantastic for what it is and with its new features and support I love it longtime, however It will be some time and probably a computer upgrade before I switch completely over.

To add to Dutch Devils reasoning, I kind of know what he means... hes used to an editor, and that is how he likes to map. Some people like to draw their maps on paper and then transfer them over... is that wrong? Perhaps its just easier for him to get his creative juices flowing, or that hes more comfortable using it. For me I enjoy trying new things and I don't like to stick to a common theme unless its to challenge my self.

Anyways, I am going to end this post before it sounds too retarded.

After 2 years of making nothing but weapon mods and unfinished projects, I will definitely start mapping again.

EDIT: Mmmm, Doombuilder 2 is Crunchy and Delicious! 5/5 Stars.

hardcore_gamer said:

Moving from Doom Builder 1 to Doom builder 2 is not hard. In fact i just downloaded the thing yesterday and i have already gotten use to use it. In fact Doom builder 2 is actually more or less exactly the same as Doom builder 1 besides a handful of very neat and useful new features. If you really know Doom builder 1 like the back of your hand like you say you do then you won't be having any problems with just picking up Doom builder 2 and starting editing and making levels in a matter of min.

Allready tried it and liked DB1 better.

dutch devil said:

Allready tried it and liked DB1 better.

Ok, no problem. Though i still don't get it what is suppose to be so much more better about Doom Builder 1.

Da Spadger said:

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3046/11319906.png

Thing is, science.acs IS in the wad, and DB1 didn't have any problems at all with this.

This is the first release of the map editor so it is only to be expected that there are bugs. Once several releases have been made we will probably end up with a very good and a stable map editing program.

I've been getting alot of errors using this... same one over and over.

"Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Dictionary."

I'm probably doing something stupid. Anyone know what this is?

Any chance of setting up a donation scheme on your site? Because fuck, I'd pay for this program.

Espi said:

Any chance of setting up a donation scheme on your site? Because fuck, I'd pay for this program.

Heh, no. I did that a long time ago with PayPal and they screwed me over, closing my account for no reason. Any other ways I know of are more complicated and frankly, I don't care for donations really. I'm happy if you are. But thanks for the kind words.

Shuck said:

I've been getting alot of errors using this... same one over and over.

"Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Dictionary."

I'm probably doing something stupid. Anyone know what this is?

oops I was doing something stupid. I was trying to edit existing sectors in "make sectors" mode, instead of "sectors" mode... hahaha

because of certain things that others have pointed out, i will probably use a combination of db1 and db2.
but:
sector-drawing mode=!!!
being able to easily load multiple resource files=!!!
thanks

Wow - props for creating these awesome editors.

p.s.: Doesn`t work on the computers I tried to install it / both with WinXP + .net 3.5, one american one european winxp.
Hangs during setup - when "reconfiguring" .net components.

hardcore_gamer said:

Ok, no problem. Though i still don't get it what is suppose to be so much more better about Doom Builder 1.

I never said its better, and it probably isn't. But I am used to its layout and functions, atm I do not feel like getting used to an new editor. It doesn't make any difference really, as long as I can create my maps.

CodeImp's editor is one of the reasons why I still create maps, its so fraggin easy to work with.

CodeImp:

Is there a way (hotkey) to switch between "Floor textures" and "Ceiling textures" in the View Menu for DB2?

dutch devil said:

I never said its better, and it probably isn't. But I am used to its layout and functions, atm I do not feel like getting used to an new editor. It doesn't make any difference really, as long as I can create my maps.

CodeImp's editor is one of the reasons why I still create maps, its so fraggin easy to work with.

Admit it, your computer's old and has DB2 lagging, making map editing uncomfortable. But there IS a DB2 annoyance: where the hell can I set the vertex stitching range??! Now I have to relive the DETH days, when I had to zoom in to access a short line without clashing around.

The lack of control of the stitch vertex and split linedef ranges are the only reason I am not using it. It's just something I need.

Fiend said:

The lack of control of the stitch vertex and split linedef ranges are the only reason I am not using it. It's just something I need.

I will consider adding this feature.

printz said:

Admit it, your computer's old and has DB2 lagging, making map editing uncomfortable.

No editor ever lagged for me.

There's one thing where DB2 is needed and DB1, WadAuthor, Slade or whatever else won't do: editing UDMF maps. So if you want to make a map with a feature that's available only to UDMF maps (there's currently a couple of ZDoom features that fit the bill, but there will be more and I expect that down the line it'll be true for other ports as well), you'll have to use DB2 -- or write your own map editor.

Very nice. I'm using it right now on windows 7. A little slow it seems, but that may be my Video card. It is very crappy.

But anywho. Even with the slow down I'm going to be using this one over the first.

Also I tried using the GZdoom settings and it didn't work. It said it wasn't compatible. (This may have been mentioned earlier, I didn't read the whole topic.)

Fiend said:

Yea, same here.