Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed

Hows about some embarrasment

3D Action Theme or whatever the stinking pile of dogturd was called. It's available in the combos section of the idgames archive.

Hellward Bound was the first map I actually submitted. Basically I took a bunch of smaller maps I had designed and strung them together into one oversized level. Also, I later discovered that it only correctly displays textures in ZDoom, since I didn't really understand how the texture lmp works and never tested it in any other ports.

It's still the only thing I've submitted...

Somewhere in time (and AOL's now defunct Doom 2 Modifications section) there's my very first maps on there, from around 97 or so. Mostly modifications to Grosse with F_SKY floors, lava ceilings, 99 cyber-demons. Standard practice. As abysmal as they were, I wish I could track them down. I'd like to see what prompted the "OMG I actually made my own level" reaction.

My first (and only so far) submission to the Doom community: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15630

Actually I was really shocked at the reviews it got, as each time I play it I hate it more. Maybe that's because I'm so sick of looking at it. I've gotten better since this though, so my next release will (hopefully) be more solid.

Weasel's Weapons. Won't bother linking you to it, because it's on /idgames and you could probably find it in an instant anyway.

My first maps that were for the community are in the Heretic Treasure Chest but I have made many, many maps before them. Mostly just to experiment and try different mapping tricks. Most of them will never, and should never, see the light of day :P

Back in 1999, when the Twice Risen TC was still alive and recruiting new team members, I applied for a mapper position...
However, I had only just begun learning how to build maps back then. And so, I didn't really have any "portfolio" to impress the project's leader, and he gave me some time to practice and improve.

My name was actually added to the very bottom of the "Team Members" page on the TC's weebsite, with the words "membership status pending" right beside it.
This was a tiny achievement, but it was still better than being utterly ignored and being utterly discouraged from trying.

So anyways, I kept practicing and submitting new upgraded demos of a single map to the team's leader. He kept encouraging me, and giving me key pointers, and telling me that he was noticing some slight improvements in my progress here and there.

But then when I was finally decently skilled enough to become an official member of the team, the TC had totally died and all production was discontinued because the leader had suddenly lost all interest. :(

Well, despite being upset, I was undeterred by this event.
I've decided that I would use my newly acquired skill to build a PWAD through solo effort, because teams are difficult to organize and difficult to keep from falling apart.

So I worked all by myself, for many weekends throughout the duration of like 2 or 3 years. Until finally, in May of 2004, I released this Doomsday WAD right here: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12564

And I was thrilled when the initial /Newstuff reviewer gave it a 4-star rating. All of my hard work had finally paid off. :)

That was my very first public release. I've made a few others after that as well. One of them was for Heretic rather than DOOM.
You can find everything I made by typing my username into the search engine of the site.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11505

Not actually my first release (as I brought it out early in 2002 after Fragport late in 2001) but my first serious attempt at a map was the 7th one in here. (and all maps but 03,10,11 were made in the original Doom 1 version which I made before anything else)

That reminds me, would you be at all opposed to my attempt at modernizing and redoing Fragport for ZDoom-based ports?

Doom Marine said:

GET READY FOR AN AMAZING EXPER--wait, not that kind of embarrassment?

My first offering:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12597

Ok, Huy... this is your first released map, but where's your very first map? I don't think that is the first map you made. :P

(As for my first maps, I deleted them a long time ago because they were really indecent!)

Ismaele said:

Ok, Huy... this is your first released map, but where's your very first map? I don't think that is the first map you made. :P

(As for my first maps, I deleted them a long time ago because they were really indecent!)

Actually, it says

Ed said:

What was your first offering to the Doom community (mods, maps, skins, ect)?

Ismaele said:

Ok... but I am still curious to know what his first map is!

That is my first map, there was nothing before DV.

Abandoned Mines II

This is my first released map, my first was two room with a broken door between them. First room was filled with all the powerups and the other was a small room without anything.