Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
True_Dweedle

Where can I find Chex Quest

my google skills must suck because I cant find a working download of it.. is it Freeware? maybe its not Freeware and that could be why I cant find it.

I'm not sure about its status, but it can easily be found in several places, which however include abandonware sites which are not always 100% legal. There's also a TC based on it in idgames.

Removed a link myself due to doubt

I had found a link to a well-known shareware/freeware/demo download site that appeared to have a Chex Quest download, although the download button didn't work for me.

I don't think that warez would get past the radar on that site, but I recall there was once a case of the IWAD for a certain version of Doom for a certain platform leaking as a "demo version", on another otherwise legitimate and well known shareware/freeware site.

Chex Quest 3 has been out for a while - it's a sanitized version of Chex Quest 1 and 2, in the same IWAD, without the extra Doom resources, and with an extra episode for ZDoom. It is freeware.

What about the top download on this page? I could never tell if the first two "episodes" were the first two Chex Quests or what.

edit: my link is the same as Enjay's. So is it the same just ripping the wad out and running it with ZDoom?

The first two episodes are the same as the originals IIRC though there may have been a little bit of fixing up of some minor problems with the originals

Either way, that version is about as official as you can get seeing as how it was put together by one of the original Chex team and the third episode finishes things off very nicely.

The wad should even work as an IWAD with Zdoom or GZdoom if you don't want to use the version of Zdoom that is bundled with the WAD (assuming that there is still a version of Zdoom bundled with it).

Enjay said:

The wad should even work as an IWAD with Zdoom or GZdoom if you don't want to use the version of Zdoom that is bundled with the WAD (assuming that there is still a version of Zdoom bundled with it).

There is, but it seems to work just fine with regular ZDoom/GZDoom.

This is awesome. Probably the best sky textures I've ever seen.

DuckReconMajor said:

It seems to work just fine with regular ZDoom/GZDoom.

It does. I made sure of that. The included .exe just changes a few superficial things like the Windows icon and a few other minor issues to make CQ3 appear as a more 'complete' product.

DuckReconMajor said:

There is, but it seems to work just fine with regular ZDoom/GZDoom.

This is awesome. Probably the best sky textures I've ever seen.

Chex Quest 3 was actually designed using ZDoom's decorate features. Even better, said game includes the first two episodes (Chex Quest 1 and 2).

Unless you're some maniacal anti-ZDoom purist, that'd be the more convenient way to go.

Come to think of it, I still have my original Chex Quest disc sitting on my shelf of "old abandoned 90s childhood memories". I could never get it to play properly on my computer back then, but it's still a gem to look at.

Chex is a terrible cereal.

Enjay said:

I believe the latest revision of ZDoom actually can recognize it as an IWAD on the selection list.

StoneFrog said:

I believe the latest revision of ZDoom actually can recognize it as an IWAD on the selection list.

Correct.