39 members have voted

1. 1. Which console should I get?

• Genesis
    • Super Nintendo
    • Nintendo 64
    • Playstation 2
    • Xbox
    • Dreamcast

So there's a unique little game shop near my place that sells a lot of older games and consoles. I was thinking of getting one. Here's the list. What do ya'll recommend? and no do not say "ZOMG THEESE R OLD, GET XBAAWX360/WEE/PS3"

I know everyone thinks the SNES is the greatest console ever, but I think I actually liked more N64 games than SNES games. Still, the SNES has Ogre Battle (the 64 version was weak), Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 3/6.

The 64 has a lot of fun racing games like F-Zero X, San Fransisco Rush, Star Wars Pod Racer, and Re-Volt. Yeah, I liked Re-Volt. It also has Goldeneye, the first 3-4 Mario Party Games, Mario Tennis, and the original Smash Brothers. So it's got multiplayer fairly well covered. It also has some great single player games like Mario 64, the first Turok (don't bother with the others), Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time, and the like.

Then again, I think I like the SNES just as much...Uniracers, Super Mario World, Clayfighters, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy 4...gah. I think I just like the N64 better because I actually have one and can play it whenever. :P

Technician said:

64 and SNES have some very good games.

Tech is right. Both the 64 and SNES have great games. If you can get both. If you can only get one I'd go for the SNES. Its the console I grew up with and I'd kill to get my hands on another one. There are so many good games on the SNES.

The 64 was my first console and I still play the old girl to this day. It has some of the few games that I've played every ounce of. Starfox on expert is a bitch.

The Genesis is another great system with it's own great exclusive (at the time) games. I think it is the weakest in comparison to the SNES and 64 however.

Although I'm rather torn between the SNES and the 64, I'd go with the 64. Especially if you have a cheap source of games for it. GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, of course Doom 64, Mario 64, Blast Corps, Body Harvest, Ocarina of Time, Starfox 64, F-Zero X, Mario Kart 64, Shadowman, Turok, Jet Force Gemini if you can get past the cute graphics, hell even Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was fun. Quite a few 64's I admit, but I've gotten a huge amount of mileage out of it for a 13 year old system. My PS2, not so much. I did greatly enjoy Contra: Shattered Soldier, Urban Chaos, and the GTA's, Maximo, and God of War, but it always seemed like a backup system to me.

I couldn't stop myself from voting SNES, but I have to submit that PS2 seems to be a very good balance between affordability and power. I'm pretty sure games are still being released for it.

Dreamcast hands down. The system has great games and people are still coming out with them. Great homebrew support on that machine.

Both SNES and N64 have some really good games for them.

SNES: F-Zero, Wolfenstein 3-D, Doom, Super Castlevania 4, all the Mortal Kombat games, Many good Mario games, All 3 Donkey Kong Countries, and many more.

N64: Doom 64, Quake 64, Duke Nukem 64, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, and many other games with 64 at the end of their title. :)

There are some videos on Youtube which show compilations of games from certain consoles, I would suggest checking them out, as they show the wide variety of games released for the systems (I'm too lazy to post a link right now).

I kind of want to get a PS2, but I'd only get it for Final Fantasy Tactics, Final Fantasy 7, and the Suikoden series, and the Suikoden series is really hard to track down.

I'm also going to say SNES and N64. There a lot of very good games on both systems, as previously stated.

I still find enjoyment out of the Xbox, and would choose it above all. It can do some neat things with a large harddrive, and a mod chip, as well.

DJ_Haruko said:

If it's Game Force, look for a Neo-Geo. They sometimes have them. Otherwise, I still play my Genesis the most of those consoles you list.

Actually, its not a game force, the guy actually runs a fish store, but his hobby is collecting older games and systems, so if you go into the back room of his store behind all his fish tanks he has a crap-load of games and systems he sells.

Good call with the Neo-Geo, I would not mind having one of those. Although, every time i've been to his place, I havent seen one there. My little brother has Metal Slug anthology for the Wii, one of my all time favorite games. I'd love to play it on a Neo Geo.

* Bump *

So I ended up choosing more than one of these off the list. I actually have an old, semi-functioning PS1 already, so I got an N64 and I am waiting on a new XBox to come in.

How about getting all of them and becoming like the AVGN yourself? :-p

I vote for Dreamcast. The Shenmue games alone are worth picking up the console for.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Dreamcast. You can emulate the SNES and Genesis extremely easily anyway. Similarly, you can emulate all but the Dreamcast and the Xbox on the PS2 but it's significantly more difficult; and with the Xbox, you can emulate all but the PS2 and Dreamcast, but the difficulty is amped up about 10 times.

Plus, well, Shenmue.

I dunno about the rest of the world, but a new Megadrive / Genesis has just appeared in the UK, so if you fancy one it's best to get one of those as it's going to actually work. It also has 15 games built in.

I voted SNES as it's the one everybody seems to remember from the early 90's, though i never had one and had to discover the Final Fantasy games that were on it a lot later (heh, remember when everybody called FF6 FF3?)

My friends converted their garage into a game room with a bunch of old consoles and a poker table. It's pretty sweet, especially now that they have bean bag chairs in there. Anyway, they have a NES, a SNES, a N64, a Gamecube, a Dreamcast, and a PS2 there. Oh, did I mention they also have a microwave and a fridge in there? :D

Patrick said:

Good call with the Neo-Geo, I would not mind having one of those.

I love mine, but the price for games is killer. I forget how much I paid for a new copy of SVC Chaos or the used copy of The Last Blade I have. I know they certainly weren't under $100.