Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Stoned - an E2M1 map replacement

Yes, I've cranked out a new Doom map with the new version of Doom Builder last night and I had some fun creating this map. It took me around 4 and a half hours to build and test.

The level revolves around less detail but the gameplay makes up for this.

Download links:
Idgames Archive

Please let me know what you guys think as I love critique and criticism!

I loved it! This is the kind of mapping I really enjoy, less detail but more shooting and surprises. Great MIDI version of Act on Instinct too! Can't really think of any criticism, as it was just intended to be a fun little run through.

Thanks, I appreciate the praise on this piece. For the next, I might use a similar motif the way E2M2 is like (cement walls, FLAT1 floor, etc).

I seem to have left the visual mode camera thing in but it didn't crash PrBoom but it may make Chocolate Doom or the original EXE crash. Just use a modern source port for best results. :)

Ok map. Was fun for the few minutes it lasted. Could have done with more height and texture variation, much less health and maybe even less ammo.

Yeah, could've done with less ammo. Also, the blue armor secret could have stuck out just a little bit, for those who don't have blue light shining out from underneath the door.

Other than that, pretty good map. First caco part made me jump.

I know the follow-up map (e2m2) I am making will be harder and is a bit more diverse in texturing. The reason why the choices isn't too diverse is to give it the id e2m1 feeling.

Duck: The armor secret only shows for those using a port using dynamic lighting on, such as jDoom or ZDoom ports with the lighting turned on.

Khorus: Feel free to leave a review on the new link on the Archives.

Mr. Chris said:

Duck: The armor secret only shows for those using a port using dynamic lighting on, such as jDoom or ZDoom ports with the lighting turned on.

That's what I was saying. I'm not so sure that's a great idea, but do what you want.

I would further have to make any armor or big powerup secrets with some depth so light doesn't leak through. If I recall, recent jDoom released don't have the light leaking through doors like that.

E2M2 "Iconic" will be more difficult than "Stoned". Yea, I'm using some random words to name levels out of boredom.

The level is quite ok. It should be into a megawad, because as standalone map it is too short, but good work otherwise. It is better than the map07 clones.

Speaking of good maps, the follow-up to Iconic (follow-up to Stoned) is called Abyssus, which means "bottomless pit" in Latin.

It should be done in a few days and it replaces E2M3.

I just got around to playing Stoned and Iconic and I loved them! Great progression so far, and some clever layouts that make a map feel spacious, but also small enough to know health is never too far away - if you survive long enough to get there. I love the way you design secrets, and your traps are oh-so-mean. Top stuff.

Abyssus is pending on the Archives, so I'll post it as soon as it's moved to the appropiate directory.

The next is titled Centrum, so simply stating that the main section is in the middle while sub-sections connect back to it.