Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

What should you do approaching a yellow light?

When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:  

32 members have voted

1. 1. When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:

• Go through the intersection before it turns red.
    • Stop if it is safe to do so.
    • Be prepared to stop.
    • Slow down and proceed with caution.

Question #194
When you approach a traffic signal displaying a steady yellow light, you must:
A. Go through the intersection before it turns red.
B. Stop if it is safe to do so.
C. Be prepared to stop.
D. Slow down and proceed with caution.

Technician said:

All could be a possibility given the situation...

I think there is one answer that fulfills the requirement of the law. I posted it because I didn't know the answer.

A steady yellow light (when transitioning from green to red) means "Stop if it is safe to do so".

WildWeasel said:

There is a fifth answer to this, where I come from: "Go very, very fast."

I just coast through... there is 'lag' time when both lights are red for a bit. :p

Technician said:

All could be a possibility given the situation...

Which translates to "stop if it is safe to do so", as that is the only situation-based answer. If you cannot stop in time (maybe you're too close to the intersection when it turns from green to orange, maybe there's a speeding 36-ton truck right behind you...), then drive through quickly. You don't want to stop in the middle of the crossroad, and you don't want to be rammed by a vehicle behind you.

If you can safely stop in time, you should do so.

Stop if safe to do so.

JUST FYI:
I live in california, and my dad got cited for being in the intersection when the light changed from yellow to red. I'm not sure if this is actually california state law, or the result of a cranky cop. I researched and got many different answers LOL

r_rr said:

Stop if safe to do so.

JUST FYI:
I live in california, and my dad got cited for being in the intersection when the light changed from yellow to red. I'm not sure if this is actually california state law, or the result of a cranky cop. I researched and got many different answers LOL

I know at least in Washington state law, you're okay as long as you don't ENTER the intersection after it turns red. If you're in it and it turns red, you're okay.

r_rr said:

Stop if safe to do so.

JUST FYI:

Huh? Really? I had no idea you could get a ticket for that.

B I'm pretty sure is the best bet. At least that's what I interpret it as when I am driving. Either that or a "DONT TURN RED DONT TURN RED"

It depends on when the light turns yellow and what the speed limit is, but it is generally speed up for me.

Stopping if it safe to do so is the best answer but Yellow means slow, not stop.

Ugh, this reminds me of just how much I suck at getting through yellow lights. Usually I speed up, but sometimes I regret that.

Really it's be prepared to stop unless you're in the intersection. But in most towns it's "gun it and get through the light, because the three people behind you are going to do the same". Better to speed through the light than have several people crash into you. If it's flashing, then you treat it like a yield sign, slow down and proceed with caution.

Yellow means the same as green, well for me personally. But yellow means I should stop, but only if I can do that savely. But I don't like waiting so I just hit the acelerator when I see the yellow lights. Alot of people here do exactly the same thing, its quite an common thing.

GreyGhost said:

Quick question - when do you stop at a green light?

When an emergency vehicle is active and approching from any direction? That's my guess lol.

GreyGhost said:

Around here, the answer to that is "At earliest possible opportunity." The acceptable alternative response is "As soon as you have your makeup kit in hand."

GreyGhost said:

Emergency vehicles.

In Massachusetts, green doesn't mean go, it means Go, proceed with caution.
Weird, but it makes sense when you think about it.

Emergency vehicles - OR - when attempting to cross could leave you stranded in the middle of an intersection when the lights change.