Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheeXile

Sherlock Holmes via. Robert Downey Jr.

Too much action, not enough deduction. That, and I'm more bothered about Jude Law, really. Watson should be an older, fatter bloke.

Also, needs more tweed.

DooMAD said:

Too much action, not enough deduction.

Why does this keep coming to mind?

I do hope it's better in theaters than I'm expecting from that trailer, though.

Please, please, please tell me that's a spoof.

I... I... just...

Oh, what's the point. :(

TheeXile said:

Fucking Hollywood.

You said it.

DooMAD said:
Watson should be an older, fatter bloke.

IIRC, he was about the same age as Holmes in the novels; old enough to be a doctor (and smart enough too -- he wasn't a goof like some portrayals), but young enough to chase after the bad guys and also to have gotten married at one point. Probably late 30s, I'd guess...

Oh, and Holmes used cocaine. Good casting :-)

TheeXile said:

Fucking Hollywood.

guy ritchie. fucking british being more hollywood than hollywood. how can you do this to your own culture?! :(

Sherlock Holmes acting like a womanizing Indy Jones... with explosions.

Sounds like a plot from a Action Movie Mad Libs.

"The movie features (famous historical character) acting like a (badass quality) (famous movie character), with (awesome thing happening)."

At least it doesn't feature George Washington as a treas-- oh wait. Well at least there isn't a commercial making Abe Lincoln a wrest-- oh.

Umm... I got nothing.

God dammit guys! They're just trying to appeal to a new and broader and simpler audience. You have no right to make claim to a franchise you have invested your time and money into!

Oh wait, this isn't the Star Trek thread.

Graf Zahl said:

Just don't watch it.

Why this obsession with bitching about movies?

Because opinions are only fun if they're at someone or something's expense! Duh.

Technician said:

God dammit guys! They're just trying to appeal to a new and broader and simpler audience. You have no right to make claim to a franchise you have invested your time and money into!

Oh wait, this isn't the Star Trek thread.

The weird thing is Star Trek is a major hit for both the longtime fans and the noobs.

BTW, am I mistaken or wasn't Watson supposed to be an American?

Texas Libra said:

BTW, am I mistaken or wasn't Watson supposed to be an American?

No, he's definitely British.

For all of you crying heresy and "Guy Ritchie fucked up Sherlock Holmes" remember the original stories often dealt with (at the time) pulp and over the top villainy. There were idealized crime figures, convoluted plots involving conspiracies, unique serial killers, the scamming of gullible persons through what appeared to be supernatural, etc.

Even Holmes would "break the rules" here and there through his connections with a street gang.

If you combined House MD with the plot of Fringe or X-Files you'd get a "spiritually intact" adaptation to the 21st century. This movie, regardless of its ultimate quality, appears to be a middleground where chronology is conserved but everything else is updated.

Graf Zahl said:

Just don't watch it.

Why this obsession with bitching about movies?

Personally, I like talking about movies. I like both bitching and talking positively about them. In this particular case, it looks like it might be an OK movie (or at least a bit of fun) but an awful corruption of Sherlock Holmes. That's a shame because I'd like to see a decent, up to date take on Holmes, not just another generic everything-you'd-expect-from-Hollywood piece of toss.

As long as the movie has his shut-in brother who's even more brilliant than he is, I'll watch it.

Will it have a FPS type scene to please the fans?

sorry, that was some other movie that got its original story fucked up...

Bucket said:

As long as the movie has his shut-in brother who's even more brilliant than he is, I'll watch it.

Mycroft Holmes. Yeah, he pretty much spent his days crunching numbers for the Ministry of Intelligence. Actually, I think he was more of a living archive of sensitive information for them.

They're not actually imitating Sherlock Holmes but the more action-orientated Sexton Blake stories. Those had punch ups, gun fights and explosions coming out of thier ears. AND truly over the top villany, one of the stories i read recently featured an insane millionaire who had built a Roman colliseum under his estate, where he forced kidnapped tramps to fight to the death. And that wasn't even one of the major stories - they were publishing stories of similar quality and imagination every single week in the Union Jack and 4 times a month in the Sexton Blake Library from 1915 to the early 30's! (the character ran in official form from 1893 to 1969 nearly constantly, but the best stuff was in the 20's)

Here's some more info:
http://www.sextonblake.co.uk/100years1.html

Here's me bitching:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y17KriOHDXo

There's also a Sexton Blake radio show coming on soon, ignore it because it will be a shitty "oh so hilarious" parody going over the same jokes Ripping Yarns did 30 years ago.