Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tekmon

Masters of Doom

Recommended Posts

Has anyone here read the book "Masters of Doom"? It talks about the History of ID, and of course, doom.

I was my First True book I've read :P

Share this post


Link to post
r_rr said:

I still need to get my hands on a copy.


Try looking online through Barnes and noble, borders, or Amazon. You won't be disappointed.

Share this post


Link to post
esselfortium said:

It's a very interesting read, for sure, though I can't remember all the details now. I read it a few years ago.


I agree, I'm currently reading "Doom: Knee Deep in the Dead" Its a good book.

Share this post


Link to post
CODOR said:

Why read it when you can watch it?

(Yes, I realize this has been discussed before... and the book itself is great, recommended for anyone who reads this forum.)


I didn't know they made a flash animation series about this, need to watch this sometimes, thanks for sharing CODOR ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, it's a great book. Captivating, interesting and fun, a definite "one more chapter even though it's 2am" read. Gives a great insight into why Doom was so good and why Quake and most subsequent games have sucked in comparison.

I also have all the Doom novels, and a couple of other books with Doom-related interviews etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Super Jamie said:

Yes, it's a great book. Captivating, interesting and fun, a definite "one more chapter even though it's 2am" read. Gives a great insight into why Doom was so good and why Quake and most subsequent games have sucked in comparison.

I also have all the Doom novels, and a couple of other books with Doom-related interviews etc.


I still have my doom 2 strategy guide :).

Share this post


Link to post
Nemark said:

I'm making my way through it right now. It's a very good read.


Cool :P

Share this post


Link to post

I've actually been meaning to grab this book for a while now. It looked like it would be an interesting read.

Share this post


Link to post
Tekmon said:

Cool :P

Please note that you do not need to (and really should not) reply to every single post, unless you actually have something to say.

Share this post


Link to post

I read chapter 8, since it was given away free as some sort of promotional thing in pdf format.

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds interesting; I ordered it from Amazon for a total of US $6 (including shipping)

Share this post


Link to post
Technician said:

This is a great book. Yep.


John Remero was funny throughout the book :D

Share this post


Link to post

Yes I read it a few years ago. Actually the reason I found it was from reading another book, called something like "Killing Monsters" - about why children need violence and fantasy to give them a sense of control when RL is lacking it. A very interesting book, whether or not you agree with its message. I highly recommend both books.

Share this post


Link to post
Christoph said:

Yes I read it a few years ago. Actually the reason I found it was from reading another book, called something like "Killing Monsters" - about why children need violence and fantasy to give them a sense of control when RL is lacking it. A very interesting book, whether or not you agree with its message. I highly recommend both books.


I agree with you on that, Video Games, Anime, Manga, Movies, Books, Fan fiction, my Live action role play, it is my life. Plus, how else could we relive stress without blowing a zombies head off?

Share this post


Link to post
Tekmon said:

Plus, how else could we relive stress without blowing a zombies head off?

Actually, more modern studies cite this as a possible reason for the Columbine shootings. As Harris and Klebold got more and more in trouble, their parents restricted their videogame time and grounded them more, causing them to take their killing tendencies from fiction into fact. From Doom to fireworks to home-made explosives to acquiring actual real guns. And the rest is history...

Share this post


Link to post
Super Jamie said:

Actually, more modern studies cite this as a possible reason for the Columbine shootings. As Harris and Klebold got more and more in trouble, their parents restricted their videogame time and grounded them more, causing them to take their killing tendencies from fiction into fact. From Doom to fireworks to home-made explosives to acquiring actual real guns. And the rest is history...


But I ask, how is it possbile for a video game(s) to cause you to become a physco. Is it inspiration? Nah, why would a game inspire you to kill people?

I don't think its the games that cause it, I think its the people who play them, most of the cases I've heard of this kind of thing, these people have already gone down hill.

Just my opinion though.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, of course not. It's now acknowledged that videogames don't breed violent people, and that kids like Eric and Dylan were mentally disturbed and that's the reason they did what they did.

However you do raise an interesting point that people need relaxation time. To have fun and blow off some steam to combat the often intense concentration and interaction our daily lives and jobs require.

I'm just saying, these kids used Doom (amongst other things) to get the tension out of their systems. They had that taken away, so started looking for other violent outlets.

It's probably just as well they chose the time they did, they were about to graduate from high school and would have had substantially larger incomes the next year. We could have seen something closer to the Oklahoma bombing (or worse), instead of two amateur gunmen in one location.

And I think I've caused this thread to diverge from the original topic. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×