Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shapeless

Hardware problem

Might help if you told us something about the hardware.

It's most likely a driver problem, have you tried updating? Does the hardware work, but you still get the error? Does it not work at all?

I keep getting that bloody message even when I had the drivers updated, don't know the statue of them now if there's any new updates. the hardware works both the GPU and sound card. I just keep getting that message.

It would help if you went to Device Manager and see what's going on from there.

And it would definitively help if you posted a complete description of your hardware here.

It is impossible to provide any useful suggestions for how to resolve the problem with the (lack of) information you have provided as to what you are actually doing.

I understand that PC's are complex but All I know is that I installed a new sound card the X-Fi titanium edition and ATI Radion HD 4670 some time ago and I keep getting this message. I keep procrastinating but I want to resolve this issue.

what else should I let you know?

Maybe get DriverCleaner (Sweeper?) and remove any badly installed or old drivers for these devices. Download the newest drivers from the web, and install them by hand, not using the windows driver wizard thing.

Shapeless said:

... I installed a new sound card the X-Fi titanium edition ...

OK, problem solved.

Seriously, get rid of it, even if you paid a small fortune to get it. Anything made by Creative after the first SB Live! generation was buggy to the extreme, and their forums are JAM PACKED with topics about driver/chipset/graphics cards incompatibilities that end up nowhere, or end in some "witty" remark by certain CL trolls saying that "YOU'RE SYSTEM SUCKS WHILE MINE IS SUPER STABLE I USE X-FI ALL THE TIME WITH NO PROBLEM KTHANXBYE I GO JAKK OFF NOW"

Quite probably it won't even work properly and give you crackle, pops etc. and cause the whole system to be unstable.

Some more food for thought:

Another Soundblaster story gone wrong.

Sound cards are way overrated.

Unless you have a really crappy onboard (which you probably don't, since most modern mobos come with HD audio), there's no reason to use an add-on sound card, let alone a CL one.

Try logical troubleshooting.

Remove the soundcard, see if that fixes it. Put the soundcard back in and remove the videocoard (obviously installing your old one back) and see how you go.

Google "nonpresent devices" and remove any drivers that aren't being used. You could also go as far as removing EVERY device in Safe Mode, and reloading, though I wouldn't recommend this unless you know what you're doing and what order to install things in.

Like Maes said, it likely is a sound driver issue, Creative are assholes with their driver support. Sometimes people release fixed drivers which improve the products tenfold, so Creative issue Cease & Desists. Anyway.

Make sure you've turned off the onboard sound in the BIOS, that could be causing conflicts. In fact, turn off anything you don't use like extra RAID or second NICs or whatever. You may also want to look in your motherboard manual (check the manufacturer website) as to which PCI slots share resources with each other, and with other devices in the system. Ideally, each device in a slot should be as resource-independent as possible.

Windows (especially XP with newer hardware) is just shit at picking up some devices. My laptop gets this unknown device and resource conflict unless I install drivers for some obscure security chip or something, which I could only trace by Googling the PCI ID of the device.

Super Jamie said:

Like Maes said, it likely is a sound driver issue, Creative are assholes with their driver support.

The drivers do suck major ass, but with CL the problem is usually in the hardware itself. Their PCI implementations have been proved to be problematic time and again, and are about the less compatible and most picky expansion cards one can install.

To make a long story short, they may just never work with your mobo and/or video card at the hardware level, with the driver just making it worse. Known "culprits", if you are willing to consider Creative Labs "innocent" and all other manufacturers "guilty" include: ATI video cards, nForce chipsets, VIA chipsets etc.

On older motherboards you had to tinker a lot with PCI transaction delay, manual IRQ assignment etc. just to accomodate a Creative Labs soundcard (no other PnP expansion card I am aware of required this), and these adjustments may even not be available with your mobo, or prove ineffective anyway.